Page 69 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 921

Thread: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

  1. #681
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    If you're going to play "he started it first" then at least do so honestly and note that my comment was in response to:


    I know people in the Tea Party movement who would very much like to see black people hanging from trees. I don't consider them representative of the entire movement, but that element does exist in the Tea Party movement. Get over it. You can't pretend it doesn't exist just because it is inconvenient.


    You don't take offense at that statement. Why not?
    you know, it suddenly occurs to me that that is very specific. If he knows such people in the Tea Party movement, I think it's about time someone demanded that he name them.

  2. #682
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    And women who see a man approaching them on the sidewalk late at night think that they are at greater risk because of the person's sexual organs. Women are sexual discriminators. Boo women. Time to send women to leftist reeducation camps.
    A woman on a street late at night has 10 seconds to make a safety decision. An employer has much longer than that and much more information to evaluate a candidate. The comparison is ridiculous.

  3. #683
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Cultures...based on race.
    not necessarily. as you point out yourself:

    You differentiated cultures by race - Asians, whites, blacks (well Asian is more ethnicity, but you get the picture).
    ethnicities, places, generations, and plenty of other groups produce their own subcultures as well; which give off similar results. walk into an employers office sounding and looking like a kid from the New Jersey Shore reality show, and you'll see poor results as well.

    I hate semantics games.
    eh, this is one of a fine, but important definitional distinction. thinking someone will be an inferior worker because they are black is racism and deplorable. thinking that they will be an inferior worker because they come from a culture that celebrates the notion that working hard is for suckers is not.

    You do realize that there are countless examples where this is not the case.
    individual examples yes, but what we are talking here is statistics.

    Yes, we live in two separate realities.
    fine. I'll stick to the reality that comes from the Census Bureau, and you can stick with your reality, which apparently comes from the need to provide ever-more-ludicrous defenses of poor and outdated policy.

    well of course you wouldn't ever say that. what you said was, "X race is known for Y culture", therefore employers don't hire that race as much for productivity and I like productivity. Like I said before, conservatives have become creative with their language.
    so am I now racist against White People because I say that Asian's culture is actually superior in terms of individual productivity, which is why they see better results?

    actually, it is correct. something being popular doesn't make it successful.
    well, we'll see from Indiana how it works out. but your claim that only wealthy parents were interested in vouchers remains ridiculous. and yes - incorrect.

  4. #684
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    A woman on a street late at night has 10 seconds to make a safety decision. An employer has much longer than that and much more information to evaluate a candidate.
    really? how many applicants are there per job opening and how long does every employer have to take time away from his business to shuffle through them?

    in reality, most don't even read through all the resume's; they scan rapidly pick out a handful of ones that look promising and then try to winnow from that. that's why the studies that are cited usually center on "names that sound black" and so forth - because that is all the employer get's to see.

  5. #685
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Alright, first thing's first...

    Rep. Andre Carson DID NOT call the entire Tea Party movement racist. What he said was:



    How posters to this or any of the other threads discussing this matter could have missed this clarifying rebuttal somewhat baffles me. Perhaps it could be that while Republicans/Conservatives are quick to condemn Rep. Carson for his commentary, folks failed to seek out exactly what was said and instead did the very thing some have accussed others of doing here - painting people with a broad brush.

    The question asked by justabubba...



    ...is an important and valid question to ask. Clearly, not everyone involved with the Tea Party movement are racist. However, I don't think anyone can deny that there are racist elements within the Tea Party movement. As haymarket has pointed out, there have been members of the Tea Party movement who have presented racist signs or wore T-shirts with questionable racist comments on them. And if Tea Party members haven't said things that can be clearly defined as racist, some among them have made statements have racist undertones. Take Rep. Joe Walsh, for example. Recently in a MSNBC.com with Martin Bashir, Rep. Walsh was asked about the allegations of racism within the Tea Party movement. When confronted directly on the matter asking specifically if Walsh believed people voted for President Obama just because he was Black, Walsh replied "because it was a historical moment in this nation's history". (You can watch the video exchange here.) Although Rep. Walsh's answer was correct, it gives the impression that that's the only reason some people voted for the nation's 44th President - because he was Black. However, it does bring into question why Rep. Walsh is so upset with Pres. Obama. He says that it's a matter of the President's "failed policies", but when you listen to him in the video he gives far more respect to Congress assembling on behalf of foreign heads of state than he does his nation's president. This tells me there's more going on here than just a person being upset over policy matters. But I invite the readers/viewers to watch the video interview and really listen to what's said and make your own conclusion.

    For me, while I will agree that not every member of the Tea Party are racist, I do believe there are racist elements within the movement. However, I would also like to read transcripts or view video commentary of the type of visceral comments made by those Tea Party members Rep. Carson accuses of being racist. Just as the videos of Mrs. Sherly Sherrod and her association with the NAACP suddenly popped up (a video that later disproved the racist allegation levied against her), I would like to see videos of racism levied against the Tea Party if they're out there. So, if you have 'em post them here for all to see.
    Please go back and look at what he actually said, and not what he said after the fact to back track on what he said originally.

    He talked about Republican legislators that wanted to string up black people. Whoa re they exactly.

  6. #686
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Why would I take offense to a statement of someone telling his own personal experiences AND stating that his personal experiences are NOT representative of the entire movement. CT pointed out that racists do, in fact, exist in the Tea Party movement. In fact, they exist everywhere! You, on the other hand, decided to post a ridiculous study that framed an entire group as racist. Fail.
    Oh, you want personal experiences. Ok, then. On my university campus there were people who were orgasmic about the fact that a black man won the election. They thought that the symbolism was fantastic. They felt good about themselves for being racists and voting for someone because of the color of his skin. I know these things to be true because people were telling me that they were so happy that they helped elect a black man to the Office of President. These liberals are racists and there were a lot more of these people on my campus than just the ones I spoke to personally.

    There, that's my personal experience.

  7. #687
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It appears you don't have much confidence in 'personal responsibility'. Are you speaking for yourself here?
    "Personal responsibility" is two things. 1) It is people taking responsibility for their own lives. That is a very good thing which I heartily support. 2) It is a line right wingers use when they don't want to help with something. That is a very bad thing which I strongly oppose.

    For example, say somebody gets their car stuck in a snowstorm. To me personal responsibility means that the person in the car has a shovel with them and they're out there trying to dig themselves out. To a Republican "personal responsibility" means that when they walk past instead of helping they think "screw that guy, not my problem".

  8. #688
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    No it isn't. I live in the south, and I know people in the Tea Party movement who would very much like to see black people hanging from trees. I don't consider them representative of the entire movement, but that element does exist in the Tea Party movement. Get over it. You can't pretend it doesn't exist just because it is inconvenient.
    Carson was referring to "those in Congress" and not the Tea Party movement.

    Do you know any Republican representatives that want to hang black people?

  9. #689
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Oh, you want personal experiences. Ok, then. On my university campus there were people who were orgasmic about the fact that a black man won the election. They thought that the symbolism was fantastic. They felt good about themselves for being racists and voting for someone because of the color of his skin. I know these things to be true because people were telling me that they were so happy that they helped elect a black man to the Office of President. These liberals are racists and there were a lot more of these people on my campus than just the ones I spoke to personally.

    There, that's my personal experience.
    What's your point? You knew some people who voted for Obama, in part, because he was black. I don't doubt these types of people exist even if you're lying. Was I supposed to be upset by this?

  10. #690
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Carson was referring to "those in Congress" and not the Tea Party movement.

    Do you know any Republican representatives that want to hang black people?
    1. He was referring to Tea Party congress members not just Republicans in Congress. Exact quote: "some of them in Congress right now of this tea party movement would love to see you and me ... hanging on a tree.”

    Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

    2. How can someone prove or disprove such racism? Do you really think all racists, particularly those who want to be elected, openly state there racism? There could be several members of Congress who hold these ideas, Rep or Dem. Asking someone to prove it is just foolish.

Page 69 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •