Page 66 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 921

Thread: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

  1. #651
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,457

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So, in the end, you are left with just your beliefs that you believe because you want to believe them. Although in your case it sounds like you started out in the beginning with that same mindset also.
    I believe them, because my life experiences have taught me to believe them, not because someone did some sorta study and is telling me to believe them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #652
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    C'mon, Grant.

    Where in any others links you provided in post #627 quote either the President or the First Lady as making racist comments or stirring up racial hatred?
    Because they, like the CBC, are using divisive racial talk rather than addressing points that effect all Americans. They make claims that Black people must fear Republicans or fear the Tea Party, when in fact it is just their fellow Americans offering a different point of view through the democratic process.

    The United States should have come closer together when Barrack Obama was elected President, and I feel that was what everyone hoped and wanted. But by continually discussing race, and keeping racial differences in the spotlight, he and members of his party are destroying whatever hope they might once have had based on the promises made during his campaign.

    His approval ratings following the election were very high, far higher than the percentage of those who voted for him. And this was because the American people wanted him to succeed as President, and those who had misgivings over his lack of experience or lack of conviction in his rhetoric, were willing to give him a chance.

    He has obviously thrown that chance away. A lot of this has to do with his mismanagement of the economy but I feel his lack of substance also plays a part. Using race as a political strategy is just plain wrong and even his most ardent supporters are now backing off this inflammatory and divisive talk.

    Obama says Republicans will use race to stoke fear | Reuters
    The YouTube video of the FLOTUS only stated how the African American community would eventually "wake up", cast aside the "mental shackles of believing they are inferior" (my words, not hers) and start believing that a qualified Black man could be elected President of the United States. She wasn't playing racism. She was responding to a question asked her, specifically, if she believed African Americans would show up at the polls and put their collective voting power behind a Black president. If we, African Americans, had stayed home maybe Obama doesn't win and Michelle's word would have been validate - that African Americans continued to wear the "mental shackles". I'm proud of the fact that my people woke up on November 4, 2008 and cast their vote behind someone they should be proud of.
    All Americans, or certainly most of them, were proud of Barrack Obama. In fact the world was proud. I think it is great that a Black person was elected President of the United States, but I would have preferred a competent Black person who did not use racial language to separate and divide. In a land where every colour and religion is represented, this Black thing, and the mistrust of others, is being overplayed too much. I want MLK's words concerning character to be in everyones mind, not the colour of their skin, nor empty slogans and the politics of mistrust exemplified by Barrack Obama and his supporters.

    The second link attributes nothing to quotes made by neither the President nor the FLOTUS.
    yes, I know. I included that because there are many others who also like to bring race into the conversation, and I doubt the first lady would mention it without the approval of BHO himself.

    As for the first linked article, was what the President said true back then? Did Sen. McCain or others within the GOP use fear tactics to discredit Obama on the run-up to the 2008 Presidential election? We heard all sorts of commits made about his religious faith and his birthright. Were there racial comments coming out of the McCain camp as well? Be honest...
    No, they did not. It was Barrack Obama who was the first among the candidates to mention race.
    Think back to Rev. Wright...ahhh!
    And why not? Certainly his mentor, his inspiration for public life, should be mentioned.

  3. #653
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,457

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Alright, first thing's first...

    Rep. Andre Carson DID NOT call the entire Tea Party movement racist. What he said was:



    How posters to this or any of the other threads discussing this matter could have missed this clarifying rebuttal somewhat baffles me. Perhaps it could be that while Republicans/Conservatives are quick to condemn Rep. Carson for his commentary, folks failed to seek out exactly what was said and instead did the very thing some have accussed others of doing here - painting people with a broad brush.

    The question asked by justabubba...



    ...is an important and valid question to ask. Clearly, not everyone involved with the Tea Party movement are racist. However, I don't think anyone can deny that there are racist elements within the Tea Party movement. As haymarket has pointed out, there have been members of the Tea Party movement who have presented racist signs or wore T-shirts with questionable racist comments on them. And if Tea Party members haven't said things that can be clearly defined as racist, some among them have made statements have racist undertones. Take Rep. Joe Walsh, for example. Recently in a MSNBC.com with Martin Bashir, Rep. Walsh was asked about the allegations of racism within the Tea Party movement. When confronted directly on the matter asking specifically if Walsh believed people voted for President Obama just because he was Black, Walsh replied "because it was a historical moment in this nation's history". (You can watch the video exchange here.) Although Rep. Walsh's answer was correct, it gives the impression that that's the only reason some people voted for the nation's 44th President - because he was Black. However, it does bring into question why Rep. Walsh is so upset with Pres. Obama. He says that it's a matter of the President's "failed policies", but when you listen to him in the video he gives far more respect to Congress assembling on behalf of foreign heads of state than he does his nation's president. This tells me there's more going on here than just a person being upset over policy matters. But I invite the readers/viewers to watch the video interview and really listen to what's said and make your own conclusion.

    For me, while I will agree that not every member of the Tea Party are racist, I do believe there are racist elements within the movement. However, I would also like to read transcripts or view video commentary of the type of visceral comments made by those Tea Party members Rep. Carson accuses of being racist. Just as the videos of Mrs. Sherly Sherrod and her association with the NAACP suddenly popped up (a video that later disproved the racist allegation levied against her), I would like to see videos of racism levied against the Tea Party if they're out there. So, if you have 'em post them here for all to see.
    Yeah, he back peddled, because he realized what as asshole he appeared to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #654
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I want MLK's words concerning character to be in everyones mind, not the colour of their skin, nor empty slogans and the politics of mistrust exemplified by Barrack Obama and his supporters.
    Most definitely....a candidate's race or ethnicity should not be a positive or negative factor in the vote. After all, that's why there has been a civil rights issue for the last half century.

  5. #655
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,457

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Demonstrate exactly how Obama played the race card.
    He didn't have to; there were thousands of his worshipers doing it for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #656
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Thank you for letting me know that you approve of racial discrimination
    have I ever said so? no. I recognize the reality of cultural discrimination. Employers could care less about the pigmentation - they care about the productivity versus costs.

    Certain aspects of low-income black culture are a problem
    indeed they are. Cosby is right on this issue - blacks are currently generally their own worst enemy (same could be said of most consistently lower-income whites)

    and two other huge problems are racism (which you find acceptable)
    nope.

    and unequal opportunity (which you don't even mention).
    see: cpwill's posts in the education forum, consistent support of vouchers to allow poor urban minorities to escape failing school systems.

  7. #657
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Of course that is true- all stereotypes have some truth to them. Are you saying that makes it ok to be racist or something? Can you spell out your argument more?

    Personally I don't give a rat's ass about who to blame or whatever, I just want to fix it going forward.
    FIxing it going forward requires change...on all peoples behalf.

    Just got back from San Fran...several meetings with homless coalitions. Guess the one common thread all the homeless groups, unemployed groups, tenants rights groups, etc ALL have in common. Give up? They all deman more from those that are wealthy. They demand change from the government...fed, and local. They demand more resources. You know what is NEVER mentioned? The homeless. There is never even a consideration for changing the environment that creates thesituation and for personal responsibility

  8. #658
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Similarly, racism is very strong in liberals and mostly non-existent in Republicans. The Washington Post reports about research concerning the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina:


    Are Republicans stingy but principled while Democrats are generous but racist?

    "I wouldn't put it quite so starkly," said Stanford University professor Shanto Iyengar. He would prefer to call Democrats "less principled" rather than bigoted, based on his analysis of data collected in a recent online experiment that he conducted with The Washington Post and washingtonpost.com.

    As reported in this column a few weeks ago, the study found that people were less likely to give extended aid to black Hurricane Katrina victims than to white ones. The race penalty, on average, totaled about $1,000 per black victim.

    As Iyengar and his colleagues subsequently dug deeper into these data, another finding emerged: Republicans consistently gave less aid, and gave over a shorter period of time, to victims regardless of race.

    Democrats and independents were far more generous; on average, they gave Katrina victims on average more than $1,500 a month, compared with $1,200 for Republicans, and for 13 months instead of nine.

    But for Democrats, race mattered -- and in a disturbing way. Overall, Democrats were willing to give whites about $1,500 more than they chose to give to a black or other minority. (Even with this race penalty, Democrats still were willing to give more to blacks than those principled Republicans.) "Republicans are likely to be more stringent, both in terms of money and time, Iyengar said. "However, their position is 'principled' in the sense that it stems from a strong belief in individualism (as opposed to handouts). Thus their responses to the assistance questions are relatively invariant across the different media conditions. Independents and Democrats, on the other hand, are more likely to be affected by racial cues."

    To test the effects of race, participants in the study were asked to read a news article about Katrina victims. Some read a story featuring a white person. Some read identical stories -- except the victim was black, Asian or Hispanic. Then they were asked how much assistance they think the government should give to help hurricane victims. Approximately 2,300 people participated in the study.

    Iyengar said he's not surprised by the latest findings: "This pattern of results matches perfectly an earlier study I did on race and crime" with Franklin D. Gilliam Jr. of UCLA. "Republicans supported tough treatment of criminals no matter what they encountered in the news. Others were more elastic in their position, coming to support more harsh measures when the criminal suspect they encountered was non-white."


    Did you notice how liberals, once again, fit the big-spending stereotype. They sure are generous when they hand out other people's money and they're racist to boot. Republicans are race-neutral but they're stingy when spending government money.

    How did you put it? Oh yes, get over it. Liberals should come to terms with their inner Klansman.
    so sad that people who support Obama want to see blacks hanging from trees

  9. #659
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,457

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    FIxing it going forward requires change...on all peoples behalf.

    Just got back from San Fran...several meetings with homless coalitions. Guess the one common thread all the homeless groups, unemployed groups, tenants rights groups, etc ALL have in common. Give up? They all deman more from those that are wealthy. They demand change from the government...fed, and local. They demand more resources. You know what is NEVER mentioned? The homeless. There is never even a consideration for changing the environment that creates thesituation and for personal responsibility
    Of course not. It has nothing to do with changing a ****ing thing. It's all about political power and governmental control of the citizenry.

    Fewer poor people means fewer votes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #660
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    FIxing it going forward requires change...on all peoples behalf.

    Just got back from San Fran...several meetings with homless coalitions. Guess the one common thread all the homeless groups, unemployed groups, tenants rights groups, etc ALL have in common. Give up? They all deman more from those that are wealthy. They demand change from the government...fed, and local. They demand more resources. You know what is NEVER mentioned? The homeless. There is never even a consideration for changing the environment that creates thesituation and for personal responsibility
    Homes in the United States were never more affordable than now.

Page 66 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •