Page 46 of 93 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 921

Thread: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

  1. #451
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    this line of reasoning is one giant "does not follow", but this is worth especially noting. even the state you bring up is not jobs but interviews.
    How do you get a job without getting an interview? Not sure what you think your point is there... Focus on the topic- imagine it were you instead of black people that was being denied these interviews because of the color of your skin despite being as qualified for them as anybody who applied. You would not have gotten 3/5 of the interviews that led to you getting jobs in your life, so you wouldn't have gotten 3/5 of those jobs. What impact would that have had on you? I think that's the key to this whole thing- thinking through how it would look from the shoes of the victims.

  2. #452
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    How do you get a job without getting an interview?
    I apply for many interviews. I show up early, well dressed, i speak clearly and distinctly, and demonstrate solid work ethic. I've done my research, and I show up with a series of answers and statements that I have already worked through that I will use to explain how I think I can help the company. amazingly enough, these things are generally enough. If I don't get 3 out of 5 interviews, that's fine, because I have applied at 10 places, and that means I will get 4 interviews.

    I think that's the key to this whole thing- thinking through how it would look from the shoes of the victims.
    I've been laid off, and I've been poor. I've been the only guy of my color in my workplace, and I've interviewed with white, black, and hispanic. Each time the answer was generally the same. show up early. work hard. be respectful and courteous. have a high standard for your work. enjoy the fact that this will cause you to get promoted above your peers.
    Last edited by cpwill; 09-03-11 at 11:27 AM.

  3. #453
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yup, and the asian guy is more likely to get the job than the white guy, and he's also more likely to be successful at it (which is perhaps why he is more likely to get it in the first place). when folks start worrying about how the Korean Man is Holding White Folk Down, i'll at least be willing to give them credit for consistency.
    You keep talking about Asians as if they are interchangeable with blacks. You do realize that not all minorities are the same and talking about how Asians have higher success rates does nothing to counter the existence of racism against blacks? I can't even follow the line of logic you're using. You're essentially saying, "Since Asians are successful, racism against blacks is negligible." That's so illogical.

    want to know what's really hurting blacks? single parenthood and a failed approach to education. let's focus on solving that before we worry about interview parity.
    Black culture certainly has a negative impact on their ability to achieve success at greater levels. However, the negatives of black culture coexist with negative aspects of our society - including institutional racism. I've noticed that many conservatives and many liberals try to frame racial disparities as "one or the other". Conservatives who do this take the side that it all falls on choice/culture and liberals who do this decide that it all falls on societal inequality. In reality, it's a combination of two.

    That said, when you deny that racism exists in our society to the extent that it does, you decrease the potential of society to decrease racial inequalities in education and the workplace. Put another way, there are two main aspects to continued racial inequality: culture and institutional racism. Institutional racism is the one that society has a tangible amount control over. However, we lose that control when we deny that it exists as much as it does - which is exactly what you are doing and which is actually what the Republican Party does as whole - which is why it will never have a stronghold on minorities.

  4. #454
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I apply for many interviews. I show up early, well dressed, i speak clearly and distinctly, and demonstrate solid work ethic. I've done my research, and I show up with a series of answers and statements that I have already worked through that I will use to explain how I think I can help the company. amazingly enough, these things are generally enough. If I don't get 3 out of 5 interviews, that's fine, because I have applied at 10 places, and that means I will get 4 interviews.
    No, I think you're misunderstanding. First, how well you dress for an interview doesn't help you if you don't even get the interview. Second, it isn't that black people only get 2 interviews for every 5 jobs they apply for. That would be normal or even high for anybody. They only get 2 interviews for every 5 an equally qualified white person gets. So, that means 3 out of every 5 job opportunities effectively isn't available to black people. Obviously that would have a tremendous impact, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I've been laid off, and I've been poor.
    I really don't feel like you're following. What would it be like if you removed 3/5 of the jobs you've gotten. Would you have been poor for much more of your life? Would you have been destitute instead of poor? Are you really contending it would make no difference? I can't believe you would actually think that. That would be insane.

  5. #455
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,329

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No, not at all. We live in a country beset by racism and racial inequality. A person has three options. They can support racism, they can oppose racism, or they can just try to ignore the whole thing. What you mean when you say they don't care about race is that they try to ignore the whole thing. The opposite of racism would be fighting against racism, which tea party types steadfastly resist.
    That school of thought isn't going to achieve anything, other than convincing most black people that they have no chance, the deck is stacked against and there's no point in trying, because they're screwed from the git-go.

    You're doing more damage to the black community--and the country--than racism ever could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #456
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    The Tea Party doesn't give a rats rear about race, but those opposed to the Tea Party sure are mired in Race.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #457
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I apply for many interviews. I show up early, well dressed, i speak clearly and distinctly, and demonstrate solid work ethic. I've done my research, and I show up with a series of answers and statements that I have already worked through that I will use to explain how I think I can help the company. amazingly enough, these things are generally enough. If I don't get 3 out of 5 interviews, that's fine, because I have applied at 10 places, and that means I will get 4 interviews.



    I've been laid off, and I've been poor. I've been the only guy of my color in my workplace, and I've interviewed with white, black, and hispanic. Each time the answer was generally the same. show up early. work hard. be respectful and courteous. have a high standard for your work. enjoy the fact that this will cause you to get promoted above your peers.
    We have many people of different color and heritage where I work, and this is all we ask for and for those who go the extra mile do get promoted regardless of color or heritage. Make the company money and get rewards .

  8. #458
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That school of thought isn't going to achieve anything, other than convincing most black people that they have no chance, the deck is stacked against and there's no point in trying, because they're screwed from the git-go.

    You're doing more damage to the black community--and the country--than racism ever could.
    He didnt say that at all... but then again who knows how your tinkerer works.

    The Tea Party doesn't give a rats rear about race, but those opposed to the Tea Party sure are mired in Race.
    Yes, we actually are just knee deep in colored people. Who wouldve thought!

  9. #459
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,329

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    He didnt say that at all... but then again who knows how your tinkerer works.
    Actually, "black people ****ed, because of all the racism", is exactly what he's been saying throughout this entire thread.

    Have you hear him say, a single time, "blacks can make it in the job market, in spite of the racism that exists"? I haven't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #460
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Actually, "black people ****ed, because of all the racism", is exactly what he's been saying throughout this entire thread.
    Rlly y downt yuo qwote dat 4 us?

    Have you hear him say, a single time, "blacks can make it in the job market, in spite of the racism that exists"? I haven't.
    Many do, theres alot of evidence that they experience more significant hurdles. I dont think he ever iterated that black people dont get hired at all by anyone in america.

Page 46 of 93 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •