Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 921

Thread: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

  1. #401
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    It is illegal to give a less qualified person a job because of their race. In the small number of jobs where AA applies (government contractors and government jobs) all it says is that if the organization chooses to, they are permitted to hire an equally qualified applicant based on their race.
    Are you ****ting me? Do you really believe that any employer tells the job applicant and the employed staff "We are giving Mr. Jones this job, even though he is not qualified for it, because we need to have more black men in our department in order to meet corporate diversity goals and to prevent EEOC audits and long drawn out and expensive legal defenses against their Lawfare tactics."

    Besides, in the economy as a whole whites are the ones getting jobs they're less qualified for. If a white person and black person apply for the same job with exactly the same resume, the white person gets the interview 2.4 times more often.
    You're like a broken record and you're making an ass of yourself. Resumes are not the sum total of qualifications. I linked to a study which looked at sector specific skills and found that they accounted for very little of the variance and that more could be explained by looking at general skills and IQ. Those fakes resumes didn't even touch on these factors.

  2. #402
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    This is just Becker rehashed. If you are correct in your observation, then the problem solves itself. Irrational discriminators will be run out of business by employers who do not discriminate.
    What I've experienced with irrational discriminators is that the business they work in do less well, fail more often, than businesses that don't discriminate. (Ones that discriminate rationally do well, possibly better than ones that don't discriminate.) However, I've observed that the discriminatory staff easily find new positions at companies that don't yet discriminate. Companies fail, new ones start, but the people stay in their field and discrimination continues.

  3. #403
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Are you ****ting me? Do you really believe that any employer tells the job applicant and the employed staff "We are giving Mr. Jones this job, even though he is not qualified for it, because we need to have more black men in our department in order to meet corporate diversity goals and to prevent EEOC audits and long drawn out and expensive legal defenses against their Lawfare tactics."
    Not sure what your argument is. Are you claiming that employers illegally discriminate in favor of blacks? I'm sure that does happen, but as I have shown over and over and over, far, far, more of them illegally discriminate in favor of whites.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    You're like a broken record and you're making an ass of yourself. Resumes are not the sum total of qualifications.
    I don't see what you think that has to do with anything... Sure, probably the people discriminating against blacks do so out of some gut instinct that black people are bad workers regardless of what it says on their resumes... Not sure how you think that is an argument for your side of the debate though...

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I linked to a study which looked at sector specific skills and found that they accounted for very little of the variance and that more could be explained by looking at general skills and IQ.
    Again, that just looks at wages for people already hired. So, again, fail.

  4. #404
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    None of the above, as I said already.
    Obviously that's just a nonsense answer... It has to be one of those three. There isn't any "none of the above" option... If you refuse to take a position I'm not sure how we can debate here...

  5. #405
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Isn't about time we moved past such vile, angry bull****?

    Oh wait, I can't say that about the esteemed Rep. Carson, to criticize him, since I am a white male and tea partier, is racist.

    Just reading that filthy dung heaps rant makes my stomach churn in disgust.
    This country is soooooo divided on sooooooooooo many levels. I dont know how we are going to continue being a union. I cant even watch Fox News anymore because it makes me ill. CNN is better but still it isnt PURE news. The vile disgusting words spewed on talk radio on BOTH sides is HORRIBLE. On the far Right... (ie Hannity) I get lies and hatred. On the far LEFT I get Ignorance and Childishness.

    The politicians are self serving boneheads with low intelligence and a VERY high greed factor. Now I see more and MORE racist crap making our society just plain ugly. We have white collar crime growing, street crime in the news daily. Our economy erroding and close to zero compromise from either side of the aisle. Unemployment at 9.1% Black unemployment hovering around 20%. Kids in large cities that dont know how to spell.

    Im finding myself more and more compelled to shut off the news. Its too depressing and I cant do a damn thing about it.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  6. #406
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    This country is soooooo divided on sooooooooooo many levels. I dont know how we are going to continue being a union. I cant even watch Fox News anymore because it makes me ill. CNN is better but still it isnt PURE news. The vile disgusting words spewed on talk radio on BOTH sides is HORRIBLE. On the far Right... (ie Hannity) I get lies and hatred. On the far LEFT I get Ignorance and Childishness.

    The politicians are self serving boneheads with low intelligence and a VERY high greed factor. Now I see more and MORE racist crap making our society just plain ugly. We have white collar crime growing, street crime in the news daily. Our economy erroding and close to zero compromise from either side of the aisle. Unemployment at 9.1% Black unemployment hovering around 20%. Kids in large cities that dont know how to spell.

    Im finding myself more and more compelled to shut off the news. Its too depressing and I cant do a damn thing about it.
    Your tale is interesting. You fit the pattern of behavior that results from too much diversity in your environment. You're not alone. Disengagement is the expected response that researchers find as diversity increases. It's not just racial or ethnic diversity. In your case it's clearly too much ideological diversity, because people are becoming ever more tribal, that's leading to your disengagement.

  7. #407
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Your tale is interesting. You fit the pattern of behavior that results from too much diversity in your environment. You're not alone. Disengagement is the expected response that researchers find as diversity increases. It's not just racial or ethnic diversity. In your case it's clearly too much ideological diversity, because people are becoming ever more tribal, that's leading to your disengagement.
    You're doing the binary thing again... That study showed that *some* people disengage when exposed to diversity. We call them "bigots" normally. That doesn't mean it is normal or acceptable, let alone some kind of blanket explanation for every frustration anybody feels...

  8. #408
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Disengagement is the expected response that researchers find as diversity increases.
    This conclusion directly contradicts the history of the United States.

  9. #409
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    You're doing the binary thing again... That study showed that *some* people disengage when exposed to diversity. We call them "bigots" normally. That doesn't mean it is normal or acceptable, let alone some kind of blanket explanation for every frustration anybody feels...
    "That study?" There have been a number of studies. Which study are you referring to and which study called such people bigots? Link it.

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    It doesn't have much to do with improving oneself. Blacks who are equally qualified to whites are the ones we're talking about. People who have already improved themselves and are still facing overwhelming discrimination.
    That's illegal.

    Not sure what your point is. The study looked at jobs where you drop the resume off in person. Obviously at K-Mart or wherever, they see what race you are when they interview you, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. The complaint was that they didn't get the interview.

    Again, if a white person and a black person apply for the same job with the same resume, the white applicant is 2.4 times more likely to get an interview. Think about that. Imagine that 3/5 of the jobs you've gotten in your life you didn't get. Where would you be today? On welfare? A criminal? That is MASSIVE discrimination. Almost incomprehensibly massive. And it comes from an ultra credible study. It was done first by Northwestern University, then repeated by an entirely different group in a different city with the same results. The second time it was conducted by Princeton and Brown universities with Harvard and the National Science Foundation providing support. I frankly can't imagine what could possibly be more credible proof.

    But, again, if you think you have superior evidence, lets see it. But if you have nothing, then maybe you need to rethink your assumptions.
    I don't believe it because as I said, that's illegal and would be very easy to prove. It's illegal. There are ramifications when this happens. Did they follow the studies up with answers as to why nobody enforced the law?

Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •