Page 27 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 921

Thread: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

  1. #261
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,436

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    It might tell you something else...but it may not be something you want to admit. It MIGHT tell you that there is a reason for that discrimination and that reason MAY have something to do with the significant numbers (but still a minority) within that discriminated group that has created a negative hiring environment for other qualified individuals within the same racial group. Where a black employer is more likely to hire a white employee, it MIGHT not mean that employer is an institutionalized racist, but that in fact the employer might have negative experiences with other employees and be disinclined to hire another black applicant based on prior experiences.

    I still think you are wrong though. I think you will find that a majority of minority owned businesses hire far more within their race. And thats not a BAD thing.

    Heres another observation...I was in Chicago recently...damn near every store in downtown Chicago was manned by immigrant employees. Why do you suppose that is? (not laying a trap...I'll tell you my thoughts...it is because employer experience has shown that immigrants are willing to bust their ass, do a good job, because they value the job more than a typical American apllicant).
    One more point about hiring whites as opposed to a minority.

    Whites are not protected by any kind of legislation.

    The business owner, especially in the low wage area, like the survey was, he would have to think about who can sue him and for what.

    A minority can sue, even without a real case, if they get fired and say it was because of their race and it is up to the business owner to prove it wasn't.

    That costs a lot of money.

  2. #262
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Did you forget to study the history of the Republican Party?

    Lincoln's Republican Party is NOT by any stretch of the imagination the Republican Party of today. Moreover, the Democratic Party and Republican Party of the 1960s are NOT at all the Dem and Rep Parties of today - as I've said several times, the constituencies of the parties switched during the civil rights movements with the racist southern Dems moving to the Republican Party. Every time you repeat this myth, you reveal your ignorance. Study your history!
    Let's not forget that many on the right believe they should be able to discriminate at private businesses.

  3. #263
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    So we're still left with a world where employers don't discriminate against existing employees but there could exist some employers who do discriminate against applicants in the interview stage. Maybe, maybe not.
    Presumably racial prejudice holds more sway when you don't know the actual person.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    What academic studies seek to do is create conditions where all factors are controlled so that a relationship between the factors that are the focus of the study can be examined. This study doesn't quite meet that threshold because it leaves hanging in the air the issue of how employers view white, Latino and black workers in terms of what they will do for the employer in terms of working hard, being reliable and not causing trouble at work.
    You're totally missing the boat. What the study shows is exactly that- that employers seem to assume white applicants will be better employees than black or hispanic applicants. That is what racism is.

    All this talk about "rational discrimination" and whatnot is just plain ridiculous. You're literally 70 years behind in the discussion and you've got some serious catching up to do. Deciding whether or not to hire somebody on the basis of the color of their skin is equivalent to noticing that disproportionately many fast cars are red and then concluding that you ought to paint your car red to make it faster. You're getting distracted by external variables. The color of somebody's skin, obviously, doesn't affect their abilities. It does tend to correlate to wealth and access to education and whatnot, and those things to tend to correlate to job performance, but fixating on the person's race rather than those far, far, more accurate predictors is ridiculous. Especially in a hiring situation where you have ready access to the actual data about their education and accomplishments... Obviously it is dead wrong, obviously it is self perpetuating, etc, but it's also just dumb and lazy. Anyways, like I said, you're many decades behind on this. You ought to try to catch up. Do some reading on it.

  4. #264
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    One more point about hiring whites as opposed to a minority.

    Whites are not protected by any kind of legislation.

    The business owner, especially in the low wage area, like the survey was, he would have to think about who can sue him and for what.

    A minority can sue, even without a real case, if they get fired and say it was because of their race and it is up to the business owner to prove it wasn't.

    That costs a lot of money.
    All the same exact laws that protect minorities from racial employment discrimination protect whites exactly the same... They can sue just the same. And the notion that it is up to the employer to prove that they didn't discrimination is completely false... You're just making things up.

  5. #265
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Horse****. Robert Byrd was your missing link. Democrat racist Klan leader...democrat senator. This pretend story about...but really...it just all of a sudden switched over...is just that...a bull**** pretend story and it only works for people stupid enough to buy it and people invested in believing in it.
    Byrd was a member of the KKK when he was young, people change. Prove he was a racist when he died.

  6. #266
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Byrd was a member of the KKK when he was young, people change. Prove he was a racist when he died.
    I guess that is why he keep saying racist things until he died.

  7. #267
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's ****ing bull****!

    The only thing that changed about the Democrat party is the tactics. The Democrats figured out that it's easier and cheaper to keep blacks on welfare than it is to keep them on the plantation and they get a bunch of votes out of it, to boot.

    As far as the Republicans are concerned; we're still trying to abolish slavery.
    So you think blacks are so stupid as to be led by Democrats. Thanks for that information.

  8. #268
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I guess that is why he keep saying racist things until he died.
    1. _____________________________
    2. _____________________________
    3. _____________________________
    4. _____________________________
    5. _____________________________

  9. #269
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    So you think blacks are so stupid as to be led by Democrats. Thanks for that information.
    It's funny to me how many conservatives/Republicans think blacks are too stupid to make their own decisions. They're being "led" - incapable of rational thought.

  10. #270
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Why do you refer to the Jim Crow laws and say it was discrimination against an entire race when the laws were only enacted in the southern states? Do you think every black in the country lived in the south?
    Actually, during much of the Jim Crow era, most blacks DID live in the south - about 90% at one point. But then BECAUSE of Jim Crow, blacks migrated to the North in two great movements: The Great Migration and The Second Great Migration.

    So yes, Jim Crow affected the ancestors of most blacks in the country - it was only after they experienced such systematic discrimination did they spread throughout the country bringing the effects of such discrimination with them to their new cities.

    Here's some starter information:
    African American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Great Migration (African American) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Second Great Migration (African American) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 27 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •