Page 15 of 93 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 921

Thread: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

  1. #141
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Funny how the last senator or congressman to be a Klansman that was in office is a democrat not a republican.
    Eh, I'm bored of this conversation. Go read the history of the Republican Party and get back to me.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Supporting race based hiring preferences and quotas makes one not a racist, but opposing race based hiring preferences and quotas makes on a racist or supporting racist policies? You do realize that this is not Bizzaro world or opposite world do you? Most sane logical thinking people know that if anything that race based hiring preferences and quotas are racist, not opposing race based hiring preferences and quotas.
    Actually considering that such hiring practices are meant to counter a structural deficit in the hiring of minorities... in this non-bizarro world. I can say... yeah.

  3. #143
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    appeal to authority is not a fallacy when teh "authority" being appealed to is actually the authority that defines what is being discussed.
    Merriam Webster dictionary is not the authority which defines what the term racism means. For that claim to be true we'd have to discount other dictionaries which offer different definitions.

    Second of all, there are different editors at different dictionaries. They are conveying the definition that they wish to convey.
    Well, so much for your contention that an appeal to authority is valid when the authority is the entity which defines a term. Now he have conflicting authorities and meaning is muddled.

    I used the same dictionary I always cite in my arguments. If you wish to know the exact meaning I am using for a word that might be ambiguous, look at that dictionary.
    And below you claim that you're in academia. Give me a break. This addled thinking is good for comedic effect but really doesn't belong in a serious discussion. Now the people you're debating are supposed to know what your favored dictionary is.

    You'd be busted out of any place for plagiarism for your lack of citations in posts (one's I've asked very kindly for sources for).
    You asked and I delivered. Do you not recall our PM exchange. I followed the practice I use with everyone, so I'm not revealing any privileged information of our discussion. For arguments that I've already made in an earlier thread, I provide a link to that discussion and all of the supporting evidence I cite. I won't jump through hoops where the person I'm corresponding with wants me to repeat, for their benefit, all the work that I've already done. I would tell anyone, and I usually do, to get off their lazy butt and read the link(s) I sent them and then I inform them if they had any further questions that arose from that material that I'd be happy to engage them on those questions. I give you my permission to release that e-mail if you think it helps your case in this matter.

    So when you make an argument that genetics alone is the cause of racial variance in IQ by way of evolution
    If you're going to make accusations then you should at least TRY to base them on evidence:


    RiverDad: This is actually the least controversial point I've made in this entire discussion. Those numbers are seen all throughout the literature. No one is disputing them. The dispute, as it is, centers on whether the numbers arise from genes, environment or a combination of both factors. The extremist creationists argue for environment, the moderates argue for genes and environment. No one argues for genes alone.


    you must consider that race to be inherently inferior to the other, because if all things but one are equal, and that one thing is superior in one group over the other, then the whole thing is inferior due to the differences in that single trait.
    The entire superiority-inferiority framework presupposes that it is possible to rank racial groups from superior to inferior. On what basis does this ranking occur? Therein lies the fallacy of this framework. We are all the sum of many parts. Are taller people superior to shorter people? How about the tall child molester, is he superior to the short nurse? How about smarter people, are they superior to less intelligent people? How about the smart serial killer, is he superior to the average intelligence person who is a cop working to put him in prison.

    Your recognize this and that's why you're engaging in convoluted reasoning to twist meaning into the tight definitional box that you're trying to construct. You conveniently abandon your own preferred definition, see Merriam Webster:


    1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race


    They don't go through these logical restrictions that you're invoking in order to narrowly define superiority, they refer to a rank ordering of races. Thus, those who believe in a rank ordering of races are racists. They meet the conditions specified in the dictionary definition. This is really pathetic to watch. In this debate you're arguing that the Merriam Webster dictionary is the authoritative source, that we should all know that this is so, that words have precise meanings, and that you know I'm a racist, not because I meet the definition of one, but because you convince yourself that if you twist dictionary definitions into a Möbius strip then all will turn out fine on the other side of the Looking Glass.

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Last Seen
    02-21-17 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    309

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    which policies are intended to offset the negative impact of a history of discrimination based on race
    Yea lets correct racist policies and history of the past by creating, implementing and using overt racist policies in the present. Yea that's perfect liberal logic

  5. #145
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by mtlhdtodd View Post
    Yea lets correct racist policies and history of the past by creating, implementing and using overt racist policies in the present. Yea that's perfect liberal logic
    Right, like that illogical, liberal NFL, for example, which attempts to achieve competitive parity by giving lower performing teams higher draft picks and lighter schedules. Sooo illogical.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Last Seen
    02-21-17 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    309

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Question: A lot of people keep saying that Carson and anyone who calls the Tea Party racist is a racist, but...the Tea Party isn't a race, so how can calling Tea Partiers racist be racist? Did I miss the part where they said something about all white people or are you guys just throwing the word "racist" around because you're upset?
    It's not racist, it's plain ignorance with a little fear thrown in and sprinkled with the ridiculous.

  7. #147
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, like that illogical, liberal NFL, for example, which attempts to achieve competitive parity by giving lower performing teams higher draft picks and lighter schedules. Sooo illogical.
    Oh, oh, can I play too?


    In many sports leagues around the world, promotion and relegation is a process that takes place at the end of each season. Through it, teams are transferred between divisions based on their performance that season. The best-ranked teams in each division are promoted to the next-highest division, and at the same time, the worst-ranked teams in the higher division are relegated to the lower division. This process continues down through several levels, with teams being exchanged between levels 1 and 2, levels 2 and 3, levels 3 and 4, and so on. Sometimes, qualifying rounds are used to promote and relegate. . . . .

    The system is the defining characteristic of the "European" form of professional sports league organization. Promotion and relegation have the effect of maintaining a hierarchy of leagues and divisions, according to the relative strength of their teams.


    I'm not really sure what this diversion is adding to the conversation but hey, sports leagues are good things to discuss too.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree'

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Eh, I'm bored of this conversation. Go read the history of the Republican Party and get back to me.
    All the way back to Abraham Lincoln?

    Or perhaps only as far back as Orval Faubus, George Wallace or maybe just to Robert Byrd.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, like that illogical, liberal NFL, for example, which attempts to achieve competitive parity by giving lower performing teams higher draft picks and lighter schedules. Sooo illogical.
    Are you suggesting that Black people are a lower performing team?

  10. #150
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Andre Carson: Tea party wants blacks 'hanging on a tree' Read more: http://www.p

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Oh, oh, can I play too?

    In many sports leagues around the world, promotion and relegation is a process that takes place at the end of each season. Through it, teams are transferred between divisions based on their performance that season. The best-ranked teams in each division are promoted to the next-highest division, and at the same time, the worst-ranked teams in the higher division are relegated to the lower division. This process continues down through several levels, with teams being exchanged between levels 1 and 2, levels 2 and 3, levels 3 and 4, and so on. Sometimes, qualifying rounds are used to promote and relegate. . . . .

    The system is the defining characteristic of the "European" form of professional sports league organization. Promotion and relegation have the effect of maintaining a hierarchy of leagues and divisions, according to the relative strength of their teams.


    I'm not really sure what this diversion is adding to the conversation but hey, sports leagues are good things to discuss too.
    Well, let me see if I can fill in the blanks for you. Slavery, followed by Jim Crow, put the black race at a huge disadvantage in a myriad of ways. Therefore, in order to redress those wrongs and to even the playing field a bit, we engage in affirmative action. Correcting a past wrong is not repeating the past wrong.

    Or we could use another analogy. Let's say that you defrauded me out of $10,000, and I take you to court and receive a judgment of $10,000 against you. Am I just as bad as you, because we both took $10,000 from each other? No. The $10,000 I received was to redress a wrong that was done to me.

    So not really a diversion at all, right?

Page 15 of 93 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •