Page 90 of 111 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 891 to 900 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #891
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    at Ohio State, students returned to find some mope dead in their apartment. Apparently the mope had bled to death after breaking a window to burglarize the apartment. I wonder if the mope's estate will sue the apartment landlord for the death of the asswipe?

    Me, I say good riddance.



  2. #892
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It has everything to do with it. You could stand to learn a little mythology.
    No. It doesn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    at Ohio State, students returned to find some mope dead in their apartment. Apparently the mope had bled to death after breaking a window to burglarize the apartment. I wonder if the mope's estate will sue the apartment landlord for the death of the asswipe?

    Me, I say good riddance.
    There have been many cases where homeowners have been sued when someone was injured while breaking into their home. If it happens to me, they may just disappear. I'm not paying for **** like that.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #893
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    No. It doesn't.
    Great argument You must be captain of your high school debate team.

  4. #894
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Great argument You must be captain of your high school debate team.
    What do you want? I didn't make the idiotic argument to begin with. It's on you to prove that religion has anything at all to do with this topic.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #895
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    What do you want?
    You could start by not taking two-bit potshot at faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I didn't make the idiotic argument to begin with. It's on you to prove that religion has anything at all to do with this topic.
    Not even slightly. It's on you to grow p and be tolerant and respectful of the religious beliefs of others. Haven't you ever heard of the golden rule? It's in all the mythologies.

  6. #896
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    No. It doesn't.



    There have been many cases where homeowners have been sued when someone was injured while breaking into their home. If it happens to me, they may just disappear. I'm not paying for **** like that.
    make them sleep with the fishes?



  7. #897
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You could start by not taking two-bit potshot at faith.



    Not even slightly. It's on you to grow p and be tolerant and respectful of the religious beliefs of others. Haven't you ever heard of the golden rule? It's in all the mythologies.
    myths are for the fragile minded



  8. #898
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    myths are for the fragile minded
    Arrogance.

  9. #899
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I don't consider killing a thief in the act to be murder. At worst, "homicide in the public interest with an excess of zeal." I realize that isn't the legal definition... but to me it is a moral one. To be a murder victim, IMO, one must be reasonably innocent or at least not be committing a felony against the shooter at the time. The grand jury apparently agreed with me. The letter of the law isn't always justice.
    This, of course, is the crux of the issue as reasonably understood. I understand your position. I disagree with it, obviously, but I do understand where you're coming from. My basic response is that theft is not punishable by death in any country I'm aware of. It's hard for me to understand how punishing someone with death for theft - and in this case a hypothetical albeit probable theft - can be a just act.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    These guys had suffered multiple thefts; it was night time and maybe hard to see clearly; it was the heat of the moment, with decisions made in a split second. I don't feel I have the right to second-guess them too much; I agree they were overzealous and should have been more careful, but I can't call it murder.
    I'm not so sure about the part in bold. If you look at the article, there's a line stating that these three guys told the cops - ahead of the event at issue - that they intended to shoot the next trespassers on their property. This suggests that the heat of the moment had very little to do with their decision to extra-judicially execute some guy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I'll admit I'm kind of case-hardened about this sort of thing. Sure, the man who died was a living soul, and every living soul has value... but he was wasting his life as an addict and an armed thief, preying on others, and odds are he would only have gotten worse as the years went by and maybe killed some innocent person some day. If I allowed myself to feel for him, I could say I was sorry that he put himself in that position, but to me that's exactly what he did: put himself in a position where somebody was liable to get killed. Better him that an honest man. Sure, it's sad that people do this to themselves and those who love them, but the world is like that.
    I totally get where you're coming from on this in general. To be clear, I have no real sympathy for the guy who got shot. He might very well have spent the rest of his life being useless or actively detrimental to society. However, what bugs me about the section quoted above is the part in bold. I have two problems with this:

    1) From a moral and ethical (rather than legal) perspective, I don't believe that the people who shot this guy were "honest men." They hid evidence from the police (check the article re: a hidden gun), and they made a plan to somewhat flagrantly violate the law.

    2) This was not a situation where anyone had to die. It was not an "us or them" situation. The three property owners could have held the criminals at gunpoint until the cops arrived. They could have put barbed wire on their fence. They could have installed an alarm system. There were any number of ways they could have resolved this issue in a more lawful and less inherently dangerous and apparently vengeful manner.
    Last edited by Aderleth; 09-09-11 at 03:51 AM.

  10. #900
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Do we? If we did indeed live in a civilized society, would there be drugs addicts stealing to support their habits while their kids went without? Would we have rampant child abuse and rape?
    Yes, to the first question, and a qualified no to the second. First of all, we do not have "rampant" child abuse and rape. Both of those crimes do exist in the US, just like they do in every country in the world, but to suggest that either crime is "rampant" is somewhat hyperbolic. Second, "civilized" is not the same as "perfect." The fact that injustices do exist does not in any way demonstrate either that we do not live in a civilized society or that further injustices (e.g. killing someone without a valid legal reason for doing so) are reasonable.


    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    ...and people are basically forced to defend themselves, their families, and their livelihoods because the police cannot.
    This is also hyperbole. Sometimes, yes, people need to defend themselves in situations that the police have failed to handle. Sometimes the police do handle situations. Also, "defense" is not what these three guys were doing.
    Last edited by Aderleth; 09-09-11 at 03:52 AM.

Page 90 of 111 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •