Page 78 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #771
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    The point...the one you keep missing... it's unlawful to play policeman.
    It's amazing how utterly inane some of those that are angry over the court's decision in this case are.

    They are now comparing it to someone breaking into your home at night and you shooting them. Totally different scenario, but ah, they have limited minds.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  2. #772
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    More dishonesty from you why am I not suppressed. NOBODY said that, thats some bull**** you made up that nobody smart buys

    so let me get this straight, since YOU say in YOUR OPINION they got away with it that makes it true???
    BUT for some reason they never went to criminal court even with a confession and a weapon? hmmmmmmmmm


    Got it
    I do not think he understands that part. Because in a real murder trial I am pretty sure a confession, evidence and witnesses would have made getting a guilty conviction easier than trying to stump Jessica Simpson or 3007 Miss South Carolina with a question.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #773
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    True, but I'd be even happier bringing the US back a century and a half or so, to when it was much closer to my prefered way of doing things.
    Would that be before we had indoor toilets?

    Or maybe just before we had air-conditioning?

    Or is it slavery that you miss? Aaah, the good old days.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  4. #774
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by mertex View Post
    Would that be before we had indoor toilets? Or maybe just before we had air-conditioning? Or is it slavery that you miss? Aaah, the good old days.
    I can get along without indoor toilets and air conditioning. I have no interest in returning to racial-based slavery. I do have a significant interest in returning to a societal structure that actually had one compared to the complete and utter lack of limits, roles, and boundaries that exist in modern society.

  5. #775
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    In your hypothetical scenario, we only get rid of the 'trash' if the hypothetical you gets killed drunk driving home from T.G.I. Fridays.

    By the way, lying to police with an Oscar Winning Performance... that would make you more guilty than the thief.

    Dang, some of them don't mind letting everyone know just how clever they would be at disobeying the law, fooling the cops and getting away with a crime, but they are the "patriots" who love the Constitution! Barf!



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  6. #776
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I do not think he understands that part. Because in a real murder trial I am pretty sure a confession, evidence and witnesses would have made getting a guilty conviction easier than trying to stump Jessica Simpson or 3007 Miss South Carolina with a question.
    you mean typical they dont send things to trail when theres a confession, witnesses and the weapon?

    man who would of thought that
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #777
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Ah. So all this time, when you and I have been discussing grand juries, you don't actually know what the hell they are. That's funny. Let me explain. The purpose of a grand jury is to determine whether or not a criminal trial is going to take place. They're initiated by the prosecutors office. But the jury, which is to say a group of random citizens, makes the determination as to whether or not an indictment is to happen. So, as applied to the current issue, the prosecutor (i.e the expert in criminal law) wanted to prosecute. If he didn't want to prosecute, he wouldn't have convened a grand jury. He was not allowed to do so because a group of laypersons didn't let him. So when you say you are pretty sure that the people who decide whether or not a criminal trial is to occur are experts on the law, you are demonstrating that you are definitely not an expert, and in this context, have apparently relied on entirely inaccurate assumptions.



    I'm laughing a little right now. Thank you for being so blunt with your ignorance. It's gratifying.



    If by "ignoring" you mean that I've directly commented on that fact at least half a dozen times - and at least once directly to you - then yes, I suppose I have been "ignoring" that.



    I've given you the statute on self defense. Explain to me, as if you were a juror in this grand jury, why, based on the information we have, and the statutes at issue, you would choose not to indict.
    Why do you think the grand jury did not go through with the charges? As far as I know the shop owners did not call the police saying they found some burglar shot in their place of business.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #778
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Why do you think the grand jury did not go through with the charges? As far as I know the shop owners did not call the police saying they found some burglar shot in their place of business.
    I don't know why. I do know that one jury didn't go through with the charges (the grand jury), and the other, the jury that actually heard the defendants' side of things (the civil jury), did find them guilty. You might want to argue that these are different decisions, but that's basically bull**** in this context, because the civil jury would have had to make a factual conclusion about self defense in order to assign liability. So the factual conclusions they reached would have led to a murder conviction if they had been sitting on a criminal jury.

    What this tells me is that at least one of these juries was full of crap. This is why (and I've said this in this thread many, many times) what the juries concluded is useless in terms of concluding whether or not a crime was committed. This is why I've repeatedly asked you to apply the facts as we know them to the law at issue. You will find, if you do that, that these guys are murderers.

  9. #779
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I can get along without indoor toilets and air conditioning. I have no interest in returning to racial-based slavery. I do have a significant interest in returning to a societal structure that actually had one compared to the complete and utter lack of limits, roles, and boundaries that exist in modern society.
    Regarding doing away with air-conditioning, geez, you should come and live in Texas. I bet you wouldn't be saying that - it was 110 degrees just a few days ago.

    Well, it's all a pipe-dream of some. Some things may have seemed a lot more constrained, but along with that, they didn't have all the other things that we would miss today, like cell phones, iphones, microwaves, the internet. They also had a depression - I'm sure that would be a real treat.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  10. #780
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I don't know why. I do know that one jury didn't go through with the charges (the grand jury), and the other, the jury that actually heard the defendants' side of things (the civil jury), did find them guilty. You might want to argue that these are different decisions, but that's basically bull**** in this context, because the civil jury would have had to make a factual conclusion about self defense in order to assign liability. So the factual conclusions they reached would have led to a murder conviction if they had been sitting on a criminal jury.

    What this tells me is that at least one of these juries was full of crap. This is why (and I've said this in this thread many, many times) what the juries concluded is useless in terms of concluding whether or not a crime was committed. This is why I've repeatedly asked you to apply the facts as we know them to the law at issue. You will find, if you do that, that these guys are murderers.
    not unless you assume, guess, speculate, and have bias to that opinion.

    Criminal court needs proof beyond doubt, with that in mind, theres no info here that would EVER logically get me to call this guy a murder/guilty.
    Last edited by AGENT J; 09-02-11 at 03:41 AM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 78 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •