Page 77 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #761
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Yes, it is clearly wrong, but there is no sentence if you get away with it.

    This is a great line of reasoning you guys have going here. Like, if you mug and rape an old lady, and you don't get caught, there's nothing wrong with it. Right?
    Last edited by AdamT; 09-02-11 at 01:48 AM.

  2. #762
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    if these guys were the murderous vigilantes you want them to be, the criminal court would've put them in jail.
    That they weren't should make you pretty happy, since you think they did the right thing - so which is it, are you angry because the jury found that they took the law into their own hands and decided to award money to the daughter, or the fact that they didn't throw them in jail?

    Not everyone that violates the law goes to jail.

    or do you only respect the the decisions of juries that agree with you?


    You are full of corn, there. I didn't like the jury's decision in the Casey Anthony case, but I respect their decision. So how about you? Are you still maligning that jury, too? So, maybe you think you should be on every jury in the country, because only you can make the correct decision, even if it means disregarding the law?



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  3. #763
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Jesus does not equivocate with his bullwhip!
    Oh, is that what "turn the other cheek" means? Sure glad you cleared it up. I always suspected that most Reps/cons had their own Rep/con Jesus that didn't act like the one in the Bible, so thanks for confirming it.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  4. #764
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    mertex, actually some of us prefer the diety from the FIRST half of the Bible to the one from the second half. The one in the second half seems to have been neutered.

  5. #765
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    "If a thief be found breaking up, and smitten so that he die, no blood shall be shed for him..." OT law.

    "When a strong man fully armed guards his palace, his goods are at peace. For how shall the spoil the house except they first bind the armed man?" .... NT parable.


    The Bible is not opposed to defending your home and possessions from thieves. "Thou shalt not kill" is not without exceptions, obviously.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #766
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Spewing insults?
    Isn't that what you were doing? Maybe you can get someone to explain it to you?



    Try reading a few posts up...or is this selective amnesia where all double-digit IQ liberals identify faults in enemies and perfection in friends?
    Oh, you're doing it again! Please forgive me, I forgot that insults are the last resort of the ignorant, that can't explain why they think it is okay to disregard the law, but claim they love the Constitution.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  7. #767
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    shhhhhh...don't confuse him with facts. his opinion is all that matters.
    It amazes me how many bleeding heart libs take that verse out of context.One would think that if someone is going to throw God or Jesus in someone's face they would at least bother to do a little homework first.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #768
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yes, it is clearly wrong, but there is no sentence if you get away with it.

    This is a great line of reasoning you guys have going here. Like, if you mug and rape an old lady, and you don't get caught, there's nothing wrong with it. Right?
    More dishonesty from you why am I not suppressed. NOBODY said that, thats some bull**** you made up that nobody smart buys

    so let me get this straight, since YOU say in YOUR OPINION they got away with it that makes it true???
    BUT for some reason they never went to criminal court even with a confession and a weapon? hmmmmmmmmm


    Got it
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #769
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    "If a thief be found breaking up, and smitten so that he die, no blood shall be shed for him..." OT law.
    Christians don't live by the OT. If we did we would be sacrificing cows, still.

    "When a strong man fully armed guards his palace, his goods are at peace. For how shall the spoil the house except they first bind the armed man?" .... NT parable.
    You need someone to translate to you what this scripture means. The strong man in this verse is actually referring to the devil, which wouldn't satisfy your explanation.


    The Bible is not opposed to defending your home and possessions from thieves. "Thou shalt not kill" is not without exceptions, obviously.
    The Bible doesn't say that every man take the law into their hands and do their own "policing". In certain situations some states allow for you to kill someone that enters your home unlawfully. The thief in the OP was indeed a criminal and had no business entering their property, but apparently it was proven that the owners knew that he was coming and instead of calling the police and letting them handle it, took the law into their own hands. It is unlawful to do that, so they were also committing a crime.

    And FYI, the Bible NT is very clear about obeying "authorities" - so because the authorities say it is not okay to be a vigilante, it is not okay.

    Romans 13:
    Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is Godís servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are Godís servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  10. #770
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I am pretty sure that the people who decide whether or not to do a criminal trial are actual experts on the law.
    Ah. So all this time, when you and I have been discussing grand juries, you don't actually know what the hell they are. That's funny. Let me explain. The purpose of a grand jury is to determine whether or not a criminal trial is going to take place. They're initiated by the prosecutors office. But the jury, which is to say a group of random citizens, makes the determination as to whether or not an indictment is to happen. So, as applied to the current issue, the prosecutor (i.e the expert in criminal law) wanted to prosecute. If he didn't want to prosecute, he wouldn't have convened a grand jury. He was not allowed to do so because a group of laypersons didn't let him. So when you say you are pretty sure that the people who decide whether or not a criminal trial is to occur are experts on the law, you are demonstrating that you are definitely not an expert, and in this context, have apparently relied on entirely inaccurate assumptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The fact that these experts on the law did not go through with criminal trial or even offer a plea deal means that these experts on the law know that these men did not commit murder.
    I'm laughing a little right now. Thank you for being so blunt with your ignorance. It's gratifying.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You keep whining about facts but you keep ignoring the fact the shop owners did not go through a criminal trial.
    If by "ignoring" you mean that I've directly commented on that fact at least half a dozen times - and at least once directly to you - then yes, I suppose I have been "ignoring" that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If these men are murders do honestly think that who ever decides whether or not to go through a criminal trial is going to ignore such a case? Murder is a pretty big deal. There is evidence that one of the shop owners killed one of the burglars, there is also a confession, there is a witness and motive. This would be a slam dunk case for the prosecutor if was illegal for shop owners to use lethal force to defend their property including shops.
    I've given you the statute on self defense. Explain to me, as if you were a juror in this grand jury, why, based on the information we have, and the statutes at issue, you would choose not to indict.
    Last edited by Aderleth; 09-02-11 at 02:50 AM.

Page 77 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •