Page 70 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #691
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I'm not ignoring it at all. I'm saying that it is beside the point when they knew that on average 70 people were getting seriously injured every year as a result of their too-high coffee temperature. That's the point that you are ignoring.

    Your argument is just plain stupid, I'm sorry there is no other word for it. Any company in the world from the biggest to the smallest, would be awarded so many safety awards for an accident rate of .000007% that it isn't even funny. Any product produced anywhere in the world would be considered safe by anyone's standard. Well anyone but a liberal that is.


    Lets Compare that same rate to auto deaths, there are roughly 305 million people in the US @ .000007 that would end up being 2135 deaths per year. Yet the actual number of deaths in the US by auto is over 40,000 So you are nearly 20 times safer drinking coffee from McDonald's then you are getting into your car to go and get a cup.



    Only, and I repeat, only in a liberal mind could McDonald's be considered negligent in any way shape or form. If only liberals would ever admit that sometimes people just do stupid things. But no according to the liberal mind, someone else is always at fault, and people don't have to take responsibility for anything they do.

  2. #692
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    The jury had to determine whether or not it was self defense in order to determine liability. If it had been self defense, they wouldn't have owed this guys family a bunch of money.
    again, that is just your opinion. you have no idea why the jury decided to give the family money. maybe they felt sorry for the little girl. maybe the defendents reminded them of the guys who picked on them in 3rd grade.

    I have sat on civil juries where people wanted to rule in favor of the plaintiff simply because they didn't like the way the defendent looked.

    one case. a guy jumped a fence and got bit by the neighbor's dog. he sued the neighbor. clearly it was his own damn fault for jumping over the fence. yet there were several people on the jury who wanted to give him some $$$ because they were afraid of dogs or had been bitten by a dog once.
    Last edited by OscarB63; 08-31-11 at 04:01 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #693
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    what challenge?
    The challenge was to use the facts and the law to demonstrate why what these guys did was not murder. Are you going to address this or would you like to continue posturing?

  4. #694
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Your argument is just plain stupid, I'm sorry there is no other word for it. Any company in the world from the biggest to the smallest, would be awarded so many safety awards for an accident rate of .000007% that it isn't even funny. Any product produced anywhere in the world would be considered safe by anyone's standard. Well anyone but a liberal that is.


    Lets Compare that same rate to auto deaths, there are roughly 305 million people in the US @ .000007 that would end up being 2135 deaths per year. Yet the actual number of deaths in the US by auto is over 40,000 So you are nearly 20 times safer drinking coffee from McDonald's then you are getting into your car to go and get a cup.



    Only, and I repeat, only in a liberal mind could McDonald's be considered negligent in any way shape or form. If only liberals would ever admit that sometimes people just do stupid things. But no according to the liberal mind, someone else is always at fault, and people don't have to take responsibility for anything they do.
    Your example is ridiculously simplistic. An automobile costs over $10k and is immensely complicated. A cup of coffee costs 40 cents and is pretty ****in' basic. It takes considerable research and development, as well as capital expense, to improve the safety of a car. To improve the safety of a cup of coffee you have to turn the freakin thermostat down 20 degrees.

  5. #695
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    again, that is just your opinion.
    No it's not. You are demonstrating staggering ignorance of the law by suggesting otherwise. Face it kid, you're out of your depth.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    you have no idea why the jury decided to give the family money.
    I know that the jury reached the conclusion that "Fox’s death was the result of “willful and deliberate” conduct by Jovan Milanovic, who was accused of firing the rifle, and Novak, who supplied the semiautomatic Heckler & Koch that Milanovic used in the killing."

    Because, unlike you, I actually understand how the law works, I know that if the jury reached that conclusion, they'd also have had to reach a conclusion about the defense of self defense, because a valid self defense claim would be a bar to recovery in this situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    maybe they felt sorry for the little girl. maybe the defendents reminded them of the guys who picked on them in 3rd grade.
    So your argument is that the juror's were lying when making the statement I quoted above?

  6. #696
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Those property owners were not found guilty in a criminal court by a jury. Criminal trials must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Civil trials require the preponderance of the evidence(more probable than not), which basically means the evidence for it is much significantly lower than the evidence that is required for beyond a reasonable doubt conviction.

    So what if it's significantly lower? Failing to prove beyond a doubt doesn't mean that they weren't guilty in actuality - all you are saying is that the evidence wasn't enough to convict them of murders, but the civil jury must have found them guilty of wrongful killing to award the damages. But wait, the civil jury's decision don't agree with yours so they must be wrong, you only appeal to the jury's decision when it agrees with yours. If you want to use the fact that the grand jury didn't indict him as an arguement that's it not a murder, then accept that he's guilty of wrongful killing which is why the civil jury awarded damages. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  7. #697
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Your argument is just plain stupid, I'm sorry there is no other word for it. Any company in the world from the biggest to the smallest, would be awarded so many safety awards for an accident rate of .000007% that it isn't even funny. Any product produced anywhere in the world would be considered safe by anyone's standard. Well anyone but a liberal that is.


    Lets Compare that same rate to auto deaths, there are roughly 305 million people in the US @ .000007 that would end up being 2135 deaths per year. Yet the actual number of deaths in the US by auto is over 40,000 So you are nearly 20 times safer drinking coffee from McDonald's then you are getting into your car to go and get a cup.



    Only, and I repeat, only in a liberal mind could McDonald's be considered negligent in any way shape or form. If only liberals would ever admit that sometimes people just do stupid things. But no according to the liberal mind, someone else is always at fault, and people don't have to take responsibility for anything they do.

    So are you of the opinion that when Toyota sold cars with problems with it's electrical system or the accelerators, they shouldn't be liable to the people who die/injured as a result of the faulty cars? Because they are a small percentage compared to the people who killed themselves with perfectly good cars? Maybe if you start thinking critically and avoid overgeneralisation, you might stop making such a thoughtless arguement.
    Last edited by nonpareil; 08-31-11 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  8. #698
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Would you extend this opinion to murderers? Such as the defendants in this particular case?
    I don't believe one should be charged with murder for killing someone who was engaging in a felony offense against the shooter



  9. #699
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    again, that is just your opinion. you have no idea why the jury decided to give the family money. maybe they felt sorry for the little girl. maybe the defendents reminded them of the guys who picked on them in 3rd grade.

    I have sat on civil juries where people wanted to rule in favor of the plaintiff simply because they didn't like the way the defendent looked.

    one case. a guy jumped a fence and got bit by the neighbor's dog. he sued the neighbor. clearly it was his own damn fault for jumping over the fence. yet there were several people on the jury who wanted to give him some $$$ because they were afraid of dogs or had been bitten by a dog once.
    which is why most of us who do civil defense work would prefer that the jury system be scrapped in civil cases



  10. #700
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think judge and jury should be piss tested to see if maybe they were high when they came to the conclusion that a burglar's family should be able to sue someone defending their property.
    Did you not read your own article?

    A couple of hayseeds tried to play cop and gunned down an unarmed man. (unless you count the pocket knife)...

    Thankfully, parts of Texas do seem to be catching up with the modern world. The jury did the right thing.

    These yahoos should be in jail. Thanks to the NRA, idiots like this try live out some Western movie fantasy. Shoot-out at the white trash junk yard.

Page 70 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •