Page 32 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Adam, I am asking a serious question...do you actually believe the crap you're spewing, or are you just trying to keep the thread going? I'd honestly like to know.

  2. #312
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Adam, I am asking a serious question...do you actually believe the crap you're spewing, or are you just trying to keep the thread going? I'd honestly like to know.
    I absolutely believe it. Is it so incredible that I would oppose killing someone who doesn't pose a reasonable threat to your safety?

  3. #313
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,971
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Did burglars trespass and were attempting to steal from the property owner? Yes? then I would say the property owner was justified in using lethal force.
    When its not your home, the law rarely agrees. If these guys were in their own house, things may have been different.
    I may be wrong.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach
    Now you're saying armed.
    But then you claimed anyone could be armed.

    So why are you adding "armed" to your criteria? I think you're full of crap about requiring them to be armed.
    As I stated before, if you trespass onto my property with the intent of robbing me, it's your burden of proof to convince me that you are not armed. If I don't feel safe, I will neutralize the situation any way I choose to. I'm not going to assume a damn thing.

  5. #315
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I'll give you that, but it's beside the point. He didn't use them, or even threaten to use them.
    Certainly did not. This is one of those iffy cases, I can see why the owners would still shoot. I guess in that sense, the proper judgment is no criminal court, but civil liability; which was the eventual outcome of this particular case. Still, it's something a lot of us would rather see no civil responsibility since all of this initiated off of an individual's choice to commit a crime against another person.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT
    I absolutely believe it. Is it so incredible that I would oppose killing someone who doesn't pose a reasonable threat to your safety?
    And if you're wrong about the "reasonable threat to your safety"? Is your life worth being wrong?

    I know mine's not.

  7. #317
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Certainly did not. This is one of those iffy cases, I can see why the owners would still shoot. I guess in that sense, the proper judgment is no criminal court, but civil liability; which was the eventual outcome of this particular case. Still, it's something a lot of us would rather see no civil responsibility since all of this initiated off of an individual's choice to commit a crime against another person.
    Clearly the best result would have been for the property ownes to hold them until the police arrived so they could be prosecuted for burglary.

  8. #318
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Spoken like a sequestered academic who has never seen "real" violence in his life.

  9. #319
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    And if you're wrong about the "reasonable threat to your safety"? Is your life worth being wrong?

    I know mine's not.
    Yeah, it's worth not shooting people for irrational reasons. If I'm walking down an empty street at night, and there's someone walking behind me, I don't get to shoot them in the head just because there's a remote chance that they might attack me.

  10. #320
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Spoken like a sequestered academic who has never seen "real" violence in his life.
    Spoken like a keyboard cowboy....

Page 32 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •