Page 28 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #271
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'll make sure the next time I try to rob someone's property, I'll stand out in the open to reload my pistol. Apparently hiding behind objects to put in another clip means I was escaping or being passive.
    That assumes that you already emptied a clip, which would make the question somewhat academic. But you probably would be well advised to load your gun ahead of time if your intention is to use it.

  2. #272
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The hypothetical is that he just ran into the garage. Obviously if he runs out and acts aggressively it's a different situation. You think the smart thing would be to go into the garage after him?
    But that's your Catch-22. If he succeeds in taking up his position somewhere you can't quite see, you can't do anything until you are shot at first. Perhaps I'll take the Han Solo approach. Perhaps not. But I'm not going to limit an individual's options when they are facing threats of this nature.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #273
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The truth is that prosecutors rarely file charges in these cases, unless it's totally clear cut. Prosecutors are in the business of putting criminals in jail. They aren't very sympathetic when crooks get chopped down in the process, even if it goes against the law. Neither are juries.
    And perhaps that's the way it should be. Perhaps if a jury of your peers believes you did nothing wrong and rules that way, you've discovered the reason why we have trial by a jury of your peers.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #274
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    But that's your Catch-22. If he succeeds in taking up his position somewhere you can't quite see, you can't do anything until you are shot at first. Perhaps I'll take the Han Solo approach. Perhaps not. But I'm not going to limit an individual's options when they are facing threats of this nature.
    What if the guy's running away? Would you shoot him in the back on the assumption that he might turn around and charge you? Or maybe he's just seeking cover so he can reassemble his mysteriously disassembled assault weapon?

  5. #275
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT
    The truth is that prosecutors rarely file charges in these cases, unless it's totally clear cut. Prosecutors are in the business of putting criminals in jail. They aren't very sympathetic when crooks get chopped down in the process, even if it goes against the law. Neither are juries.
    Gee...I wonder why that is.

    I guess if I'm ever a juror in a rape case where the woman happened to find a large rock she could use to bash an attacker's head, I'll push for an assault conviction on her. Especially if he's carrying a knife. Apparently there's no difference between plugging a knowingly unarmed man and an armed one. I mean, I know when I carry a knife or gun on my random felony excursions, I just use it as a conversation piece - nothing more.

  6. #276
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    I just want to go on record im glad the vast majority here understand reality vs fantasy and realize that life doesnt take place in a vacuum called happy land.

    Its hilarious that about 2 people ASSume they know exactly what the facts are when reality dictates that they couldn't possible know at all.

    Like I said the criminal case didnt get started because they people that would decided to start it are to smart to waste their time.

    The civil case is a joke and I wish I had the 300K to pay those guys for doing us all a favor.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #277
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    What if the guy's running away?
    Then he won't be in the garage when I set it on fire.

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Would you shoot him in the back on the assumption that he might turn around and charge you? Or maybe he's just seeking cover so he can reassemble his mysteriously disassembled assault weapon?
    Depends on whether or not I view him as a reasonable threat. If he's running away, weapon in hand; there's no reason to believe he can't still use it. If he's taking up position somewhere, there's no reason to believe that he's merely hiding. If he drops his weapons and goes screaming off into the night (off my property), hands flailing wildly in the air; I would most likely consider him a neutralized threat. In reality, I may not be the shoot first type; but a criminal gunned down in the act of a crime is just that. A criminal remaining on your property unrestrained is still a threat.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #278
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Gee...I wonder why that is.

    I guess if I'm ever a juror in a rape case where the woman happened to find a large rock she could use to bash an attacker's head, I'll push for an assault conviction on her. Especially if he's carrying a knife. Apparently there's no difference between plugging a knowingly unarmed man and an armed one. I mean, I know when I carry a knife or gun on my random felony excursions, I just use it as a conversation piece - nothing more.
    Bad analogy. If you are being raped you clearly have a right to defend yourself.

    As for knives, the only time I DON'T have one on me is if I had to fly somewhere and wasn't checking luggage. And yet I've never attempted to stab anyone!

  9. #279
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,521

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I guess if I'm ever a juror in a rape case
    So in this thread we've had the arguments that somehow trespassing into a place of business =

    1. attempted rape
    2. a solider in a warzone
    3. a home invasion

    Stick to the topic at hand so I can understand if you think the verdict was wrong, or you think the law that requires reasonable cause for self defense, wrong. Please.

  10. #280
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Then he won't be in the garage when I set it on fire.
    You're going to set your own garage on fire?

Page 28 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •