Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #221
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It's a fact that they shot the guy through a door. That's a fact.
    wow, you finally got ONE right. maybe there is hope for you yet.

    I once shot an "insurgent" through a freakin concrete wall with a 50 caliber machine gun. am I a murderer? maybe he only had a knife, maybe he was on his way to evening prayer, or just maybe he was a terrorist scumbag.
    Last edited by OscarB63; 08-29-11 at 05:52 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #222
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    execution? YOUR OPINION
    deserve not to get shot? YOUR OPINIOIN

    and this still has NOTHING to do with the REAL question instead of you trying to spin

    the fact is theres a little girl out there today without a father because a father CHOOSE to be a drug addict criminal and arm himself to break into places in which those degenerate choices got him shot and killed.

    Its the FATHERS fault for being an idiot, its a FACT that breaking into a place armed and high with the MINIMUM intent to steal can get you killed.

    The father is at fault. If he doesnt choose to do the above he doesnt get killed.He was an idiot.
    The fact that the guy was a drug addict and burglar was not why he was shot. This is like saying that, if you're going down the highway and exceeding the speed limit by 10mph, and you get T-boned by a drunk driver, it's not the drunk driver's fault. It's yours for exceeding the speed limit.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The point is that there's no risk from not shooting the guy through the closet. You call the cops and they'll be there in five minutes. In the meantime you say, "if I see that door move your dead", or whatever.
    How do you know? How do you know that the guy in the closet doesn't have a weapon and that he just needed time to get it out and had to run while he could free it? How do you KNOW that he is no longer a threat? You've used HINDSIGHT to show that they were not a threat at the time; but hindsight is never known in advance (hence the name HINDSIGHT). If he runs into the closet, what guarantee do you have that he doesn't have the gun, that he isn't going to pop out shooting? He's already made the decision to break into your home, to steal your stuff; what else is he capable of? You DON'T KNOW. This is some drugged up stranger breaking into your place and stealing your stuff, you have NO guarantee that he can't or won't escalate the confrontation.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #224
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    IN REALITY? What reality would that be? Because I prefer the one where people aren't pretending to live in fairyland. This is an ugly world, and guess what? Most of the time, we are alone and must defend ourselves. The police don't always get there in time. In countries and in cities where not owning a gun is illegal, the crime rates are much lower. Fact. If thieves knew the population was armed and meant business, there wouldn't be as much thieving.
    Sure, those things happen, and I have no problem with someone acting in self defense when it is justified.

  5. #225
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Sure, those things happen, and I have no problem with someone acting in self defense when it is justified.
    But apparently "justified" to you means to wait until he starts shooting at you first.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #226
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    How do you know? How do you know that the guy in the closet doesn't have a weapon and that he just needed time to get it out and had to run while he could free it? How do you KNOW that he is no longer a threat? You've used HINDSIGHT to show that they were not a threat at the time; but hindsight is never known in advance (hence the name HINDSIGHT). If he runs into the closet, what guarantee do you have that he doesn't have the gun, that he isn't going to pop out shooting? He's already made the decision to break into your home, to steal your stuff; what else is he capable of? You DON'T KNOW. This is some drugged up stranger breaking into your place and stealing your stuff, you have NO guarantee that he can't or won't escalate the confrontation.
    Maybe he does. Maybe he's in there loading his gun, which for some reason he brought unloaded and stowed in such a way that he couldn't get to it without secreting himself in a closet. So what? If you see the door start to open you can still blow him away before he has a chance to fire, let alone aim and fire.

  7. #227
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Getting killed while stealing someone else's property = the price of doin' business.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  8. #228
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    But apparently "justified" to you means to wait until he starts shooting at you first.
    No, justified simply means what the law say it means: that you have a REASONABLE belief that you are at IMMINENT risk of death or great bodily harm, AND you have no opportunity to withdraw.

  9. #229
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Maybe he does. Maybe he's in there loading his gun, which for some reason he brought unloaded and stowed in such a way that he couldn't get to it without secreting himself in a closet. So what? If you see the door start to open you can still blow him away before he has a chance to fire, let alone aim and fire.
    You want me to stand in front of the door and see if he comes out shooting? Maybe he fires through the walls or doors, possibly hitting myself and my family. According to you, I had no reasonable access to action to stop that. He's already demonstrated the willingness to commit crimes, so I should just wait to get shot at to see if I should respond? I should take that risk to myself and my family? No. Don't ****ing break into my place and we aren't going to have a problem. But don't ask me to play the victim when I've done nothing wrong other than secure my home. It's a nice "ideal" you have. Shut up and die, you have no right to secure yourself, your property, or the welfare of your family till you're dead. At which point you can respond.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #230
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Maybe he does. Maybe he's in there loading his gun, which for some reason he brought unloaded and stowed in such a way that he couldn't get to it without secreting himself in a closet. So what? If you see the door start to open you can still blow him away before he has a chance to fire, let alone aim and fire.
    and what happens if he loads his gun and then starts firing at you through the door?

    point is, he never should have been there, the guys had no way of knowing what kind of weapon he had.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •