Page 22 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #211
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    What I was asking is what you'd do if you were the "lucky" public defender who got assigned to a case where two shots through the closet door before dragging him out and shooting him in the head. Especially when the suspect refused to talk to you or the police.
    I would argue, most probably unsuccesfully, that it was self defense.

  2. #212
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    But they did know that they weren't really at risk, given the fact that the guy was holed up in a shed and they had guns pointed at the shed.




    Why?



    Why is it tragic that people feel someone who was killed unnecessarily? Do you think we should have the death penalty for burglary? How do you know the guy wouldn't have pulled himself together? Maybe he would have gone to jail and gotten clean. Maybe he would have gotten a decent job and been a father to his daughter. We'll never know these guys took the law into their own hands and executed him.
    Because I take no chances when my family's life or livelihood is at risk.

    I do believe that people should be able to use deadly force when defending themselves as well as their property. I can't know whether or not the armed thief breaking into my home or place of business will at some point in the future change his life for the better, nor is that my problem. At some point, when society can no longer function as it is, many more people will share my sentiments. Even those who are outraged by it now. For many people, their businesses and their property represent their livelihood, and a threat to that may as well be a threat to their own lives. Besides, the man was armed with more than one weapon. He wasn't exactly harmless.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #213
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    oops that's gonna leave a mark..... what say you now Mr. Matlock?
    Of course, from a legal standpoint they are not guilty. That doesn't mean that they aren't guilty IN REALITY.

  4. #214
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    But they did know that they weren't really at risk, given the fact that the guy was holed up in a shed and they had guns pointed at the shed.
    you have no idea what they did, or did not "know". I wish I had a dollar for every time I was outside a room with my gun pointed at the door and didn't know anything except that there was someone inside


    Why is it tragic that people feel someone who was killed unnecessarily?
    some things just need killing. these guys should get a medal for filtering this turd from the genepool

    How do you know the guy wouldn't have pulled himself together?
    how many methheads have you ever met that did?

    Maybe he would have gone to jail and gotten clean.
    maybe he would've sprouted wings out his ass and flown to the moon

    Maybe he would have gotten a decent job and been a father to his daughter.
    more likely he would have abused her himself or sold her sexually to one of his buddies for drug money.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Of course, from a legal standpoint they are not guilty. That doesn't mean that they aren't guilty IN REALITY.
    Given in many cases lack of absolute knowledge in criminal cases; the courts are not designed to determine that. Many people think OJ or Casey Anthony are guilty in reality; but the courts could not speak to that reality. They can only speak to the evidence brought forth.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #216
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Of course, from a legal standpoint they are not guilty. That doesn't mean that they aren't guilty IN REALITY.
    and it doesn't mean they are. again...that's just your OPINION. please look it up.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #217
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No one is excusing the burglar's actions. But his actions did not warrant execution. Pure and simple. The guy was 20 years old. A kid. He deserved to go to prison for burglary -- not get shot through the heart.
    execution? YOUR OPINION
    deserve not to get shot? YOUR OPINIOIN

    and this still has NOTHING to do with the REAL question instead of you trying to spin

    the fact is theres a little girl out there today without a father because a father CHOOSE to be a drug addict criminal and arm himself to break into places in which those degenerate choices got him shot and killed.

    Its the FATHERS fault for being an idiot, its a FACT that breaking into a place armed and high with the MINIMUM intent to steal can get you killed.

    The father is at fault. If he doesnt choose to do the above he doesnt get killed.He was an idiot.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #218
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Because I take no chances when my family's life or livelihood is at risk.

    I do believe that people should be able to use deadly force when defending themselves as well as their property. I can't know whether or not the armed thief breaking into my home or place of business will at some point in the future change his life for the better, nor is that my problem. At some point, when society can no longer function as it is, many more people will share my sentiments. Even those who are outraged by it now. For many people, their businesses and their property represent their livelihood, and a threat to that may as well be a threat to their own lives. Besides, the man was armed with more than one weapon. He wasn't exactly harmless.
    The point is that there's no risk from not shooting the guy through the closet. You call the cops and they'll be there in five minutes. In the meantime you say, "if I see that door move your dead", or whatever.

  9. #219
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and it doesn't mean they are. again...that's just your OPINION. please look it up.
    It's a fact that they shot the guy through a door. That's a fact.

  10. #220
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Of course, from a legal standpoint they are not guilty. That doesn't mean that they aren't guilty IN REALITY.
    IN REALITY? What reality would that be? Because I prefer the one where people aren't pretending to live in fairyland. This is an ugly world, and guess what? Most of the time, we are alone and must defend ourselves. The police don't always get there in time. In countries and in cities where not owning a gun is illegal, the crime rates are much lower. Fact. If thieves knew the population was armed and meant business, there wouldn't be as much thieving.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

Page 22 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •