Page 12 of 111 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #111
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,792

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Those men weren't protecting their property. They were out to kill for revenge.
    opinion

    one that criminal law doesn't share with you
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #112
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    In my opinion, Those men weren't protecting their property. I THINK They were out to kill for revenge.

    . the authorities who were actually there thought otherwise.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    There is no death penalty for burglary. People don't get to decide for themselves which crimes deserve the death penalty -- and then serve as judge, jury, and executioner. Or hell, maybe they do. Maybe I should set up a sniper position near you house in case I catch you speeding....
    Go right ahead. Of course that ridiculous analogy simply proves how illogical your position is.

    This man was killed TRESSPASSING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY. The ONLY person who has the Right and Responsibilitiy to set the rules of tresspass on that property and to defend that property from tresspass is the property owner. He had doubly done so by installing a fence around the property. Even a moron or a three year old can understand the meaning of a fence. This man breached the fenceline and then was caught attempting to steal while trespassing. I see absolutely nothing wrong with what this property owner did.

    On the other hand you suggest setting up a sniper position to attack someone on a piece of PUBLIC property (a road) for which you are not the owner of, nor are you the proper authority for enforcing law and order on that property.

  4. #114
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,792

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, but apparently we all get to decide for ourselves what laws are punishable by death, and then administer the sentence. Speeding really ticks me off....
    talk about dishonesty LMAO

    if we are going to use irrational examples Ill take your" logic" and use it against you


    "If I decide to play in traffic and I get run over its the drivers fault MORE than mine!!

    you know because he could have hit his brakes or steered around me or simply hit his horn to alarm me."

    LMAO

    thats great logic
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #115
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    opinion

    one that criminal law doesn't share with you
    Not opinion: fact. "Milanovic and his father told police a week before the shooting they would shoot any intruders who returned."

    Read more: Jury sides with burglar's family in 2009 shooting death at auto lot | jury, burglar, lot - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

  6. #116
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,792

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    . the authorities who were actually there thought otherwise.
    exactly and so did the evidence
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #117
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Those men weren't protecting their property. They were out to kill for revenge.
    So says you. But not the law. The law didn't prosecute. The Civil court found that they were liable for the man's death. The world isn't based off of what you think. If there are string of break ins and you find the guys breaking in, what's to say that they aren't armed (and this man was) and that they aren't prepared to bring violence as a solution to their entanglement? Are you going to stop and ask, "Excuse me, my good sir. Might I inquire as to your ready state of arms? I ask only because if you should be armed, I will have to respond with force of my own."? No, of course not. He broke into the property to steal and was confronted by the owners. The owners responded to the act of theft against them. The criminal courts found that there was no room to prosecute the men for their actions. The civil court, which is under relaxed burden of proof when compared to the criminal courts, found that the men are liable for the death of the criminal.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #118
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    . the authorities who were actually there thought otherwise.
    Is that why they convened a grand jury?

  9. #119
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    I'm pro-gun and for the right of individuals to protect their homes and families with lethal force. If someone, armed or not, breaks into my home while my family is there, they are going to get shot on the spot. I'm not going to wait to see what they have in mind.

    This is different. They laid in wait, murdered the guy as he tried to hide from them. They had him trapped. All they had to do was call the cops. Instead, they executed him. I'm stunned that they aren't in prison. As for the civil suit, they got off easy.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, but apparently we all get to decide for ourselves what laws are punishable by death, and then administer the sentence. Speeding really ticks me off....
    It can piss you off as much as you want, but it's not the same magnitude of threat and you know it. Hyperbole will do nothing for your argument.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 12 of 111 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •