Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #1081
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Frankly, I am not interested in Colorado law. This is much less a legal debate than it is a philosophical one. Try to remember that.
    Bull****. A page ago you were attempting to make a legal argument. You failed, and are now claiming after the fact that you're having a philosophical debate rather than talking about murder, which is what I've been doing for the last 100 pages or so. So when you say "try to remember that" I'm pretty much just going to laugh at you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    If Colorado law is in conflict with my opinion on the matter, then in my opinion, Colorado law is in error and needs to be amended.
    Good luck with that. They're still murderers according to Colorado law.

  2. #1082
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Good luck with that. They're still murderers according to my opinion.
    edited for accuracy. they were charged and there was not enough evidence to convince the grand jury to send the case to trial. under the law they are not guilty of murder. sorry mattlock, you lose.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #1083
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    edited for accuracy. they were charged and there was not enough evidence to convince the grand jury to send the case to trial.
    How do you know that? Why are you so certain the grand jury did its job properly? Especially given that its conclusions are totally inconsistent with those of the civil jury?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    under the law they are not guilty of murder. sorry mattlock, you lose.
    According to your opinion. See? We could go back and forth like this all day, and not actually have a debate at all., Or you could grow some balls and actually tell me why, according to the facts that we have and the law as we know it, you think the grand jury reached the decision it reached.

    You're rehashing the same dumbass point I've addressed dozens of times in this thread. You should either address my comments directly, or give up. This is getting very, very pathetic.
    Last edited by Aderleth; 09-26-11 at 01:15 PM.

  4. #1084
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    If the guy was already down from being shot, and on his back presumably unconscious, then why shoot another, what, 5 times into his back?

    How about 7 more times?

    How about 10 more times?

    How about 15 more times?

    Do you see that if you justify the man being shot 5 more times whil unconscious, you justify any number of shots being pounded into him?

    It is good to defend oneself. It is not good to murder someone in a barbarian fashion. This is not a graphic movie. This is not Grand Theft Auto. You don't unload multiple shots into a presumably wounded and unconscious person on his belly.

  5. #1085
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    How do you know that? Why are you so certain the grand jury did its job properly? Especially given that its conclusions are totally inconsistent with those of the civil jury?



    According to your opinion. See? We could go back and forth like this all day, and not actually have a debate at all., Or you could grow some balls and actually tell me why, according to the facts that we have and the law as we know it, you think the grand jury reached the decision it reached.
    doesn't matter why the grand jury reached the decision it reached...only what that decision was... and SURPRISE SURPRISE it was not that these guys were guilty of murder. sorry that you can't seem to accept that, perry mason, but it is the truth.


    thanks for playing
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #1086
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Bull****. A page ago you were attempting to make a legal argument.
    NOT bull****. I made a general legal argument because you asked for one. Did you really think I was going to pore over Colorado law as if it were the only legal or philosophical argument that was relevant? We are NOT arguing Colorado law here. Understand that. We are arguing whether or not the defendants were justified in using lethal force to defend their business from bandits. It is my argument that they were.

    If it makes you feel any better, we can toss Castle Doctrine to the wind and base the whole debate on natural law.
    Last edited by Sig; 09-26-11 at 08:56 PM.

  7. #1087
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    If the guy was already down from being shot, and on his back presumably unconscious, then why shoot another, what, 5 times into his back?

    How about 7 more times?

    How about 10 more times?

    How about 15 more times?

    Do you see that if you justify the man being shot 5 more times whil unconscious, you justify any number of shots being pounded into him?

    It is good to defend oneself. It is not good to murder someone in a barbarian fashion. This is not a graphic movie. This is not Grand Theft Auto. You don't unload multiple shots into a presumably wounded and unconscious person on his belly.
    Wake up, Wake. We are not discussing the Oklahoma pharmacy incident here

  8. #1088
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    doesn't matter why the grand jury reached the decision it reached...only what that decision was... and SURPRISE SURPRISE it was not that these guys were guilty of murder. sorry that you can't seem to accept that, perry mason, but it is the truth.
    It doesn't matter why the grand jury reached the decision it reached? That's interesting, because in your last post you said the fact that it reached that decision meant that there wasn't enough evidence to take the case to trial. Clearly, if the grand jury reached its decision for reasons other than a lack of evidence, your contention is baseless, which means that why the grand jury reached its decision is central to a contention that you've made. So I'll ask again, why do you believe the grand jury reached its decision based on lack of evidence? On what are you basing this conclusion? Other than wishful thinking that is.

    Also, let's explore your reasoning a little bit more. You seem to be conflating a lack of conviction with a lack of illegal action. This is a remarkably stupid thing to do. Just because someone hasn't been convicted of a crime does not mean that they didn't commit a crime. I know you understand this, because you've referred to the victim as a thief, even though, due to his demise, he was never prosecuted for or convicted of any theft crime. So, I've got to ask, why the hypocrisy?

  9. #1089
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    If the guy was already down from being shot, and on his back presumably unconscious, then why shoot another, what, 5 times into his back?

    How about 7 more times?

    How about 10 more times?

    How about 15 more times?

    Do you see that if you justify the man being shot 5 more times whil unconscious, you justify any number of shots being pounded into him?

    It is good to defend oneself. It is not good to murder someone in a barbarian fashion. This is not a graphic movie. This is not Grand Theft Auto. You don't unload multiple shots into a presumably wounded and unconscious person on his belly.
    its good to prevent someone from recovering and coming back to kill you for wounding him. that's why you should shoot to kill the first time



  10. #1090
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    It doesn't matter why the grand jury reached the decision it reached? That's interesting, because in your last post you said the fact that it reached that decision meant that there wasn't enough evidence to take the case to trial. Clearly, if the grand jury reached its decision for reasons other than a lack of evidence, your contention is baseless, which means that why the grand jury reached its decision is central to a contention that you've made. So I'll ask again, why do you believe the grand jury reached its decision based on lack of evidence? On what are you basing this conclusion? Other than wishful thinking that is.

    Also, let's explore your reasoning a little bit more. You seem to be conflating a lack of conviction with a lack of illegal action. This is a remarkably stupid thing to do. Just because someone hasn't been convicted of a crime does not mean that they didn't commit a crime. I know you understand this, because you've referred to the victim as a thief, even though, due to his demise, he was never prosecuted for or convicted of any theft crime. So, I've got to ask, why the hypocrisy?
    well counselor, as both of us know someone is presumed innocent until that presumption is defeated by proof beyond a Reasonable doubt that guilt exists. if that proof is absent than the presumption of innocence is never swept away and thus the person was never "guilty of a crime" though we can say that he did commit the crime as a matter of opinion. For example, I assert OJ did murder his wife but I cannot say he is "guilty" of murder because that was never established beyond a reasonable doubt by the one decider that matter-the petit jury who tried his case.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •