Page 100 of 111 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1109

Thread: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

  1. #991
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If what those shop owners did was murder then why despite evidence that one of them shot the burglar were none of them tried and convicted of murder?
    I've answered this question like five times. You're singing an old, tired, thoroughly debunked song. Why don't you, rather than repeating an argument I've already addressed, respond to one of my many other responses to this line of reasoning, or, alternatively, stop pretending it's not a bull**** argument and actually apply the law to the facts as we know them?

  2. #992
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    The true problem is that the lawyer(s) on this thread are right - legally.

    Many other people on this thread are right - ethically.

    What we need to do is change the law to defend life and property against malicious intent.
    See... now, this is a valid perspective. I disagree that the law should be changed on this issue, but I understand where you're coming from.

  3. #993
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Where can I find the report/meat and potatoes of this issue? I want to know all the facts to form a proper opinion.

  4. #994
    Student Chenoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Last Seen
    10-04-11 @ 05:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    273

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    I love how, in scary movies, the person yells out, "Hello?" As if the bad guy is gonna be like, "Yeah, I'm in the kitchen! Want a sandwich?"

  5. #995
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I've answered this question like five times. You're singing an old, tired, thoroughly debunked song. Why don't you, rather than repeating an argument I've already addressed, respond to one of my many other responses to this line of reasoning, or, alternatively, stop pretending it's not a bull**** argument and actually apply the law to the facts as we know them?
    You have not provided an adequate reason why the shop keepers were not charged and tried for murder or even a lesser crime.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #996
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You have not provided an adequate reason why the shop keepers were not charged and tried for murder or even a lesser crime.
    How so? I've explained that the conclusions of the two juries were factually inconsistent, which means that one of them must have reached a bad decision (i.e. did not do their job). We don't know which one of them. Consequently neither conclusion is a reliable basis for any conclusions at all as to the legality of the actions of these men. What about this reasoning - specifically - do you find to be inadequate? Keep in mind that by it's very nature, the fact that a grand jury was convened suggests that the prosecutor did want to try these guys for murder.

  7. #997
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Police said in a 145-page investigative report that the intruder had knives in his pockets and one strapped to his ankle, but never posed a threat to Milanovic or the other men, his father Ljuban Milanovic and brother-in-law Srdjan Novak.
    Seems like a joke to me. How is that not being a threat?

  8. #998
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Seems like a joke to me. How is that not being a threat?
    Because he wasn't attempting to use the knives when he was shot. He was running away.

  9. #999
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    [QUOTEUnder Colorado’s self-defense laws, the use of deadly force is justified only under the “reasonable belief” that it’s necessary to prevent serious bodily injury or death. The jury found that none of the men had a legitimate claim of self-defense.
    [/QUOTE]

    Yeah, this is a joke. Were the victims, the owners, to assume the intruders weren't armed? What now? Wait and find out whether the thugs on your property have a gun or a knife or just want to trade cards? Ridiculous. They broke into his property, smoked meth, looked to steal stuff, and one was armed with 2-3 knives. They were strung out on meth. They could have been armed.

  10. #1000
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Because he wasn't attempting to use the knives when he was shot. He was running away.
    He could have used those knives. If I broke into your property looking to steal stuff, and I have a bat slung over my shoulder and I'm either walking towards you or trying to get away once you brandish a gun, am I to assume I'm not to be shot? Why do you defend the meth head/thief/intruder?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •