Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

  1. #11
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Problem with our death penalty is that we're not killing the right people.
    Thats the problem. We are like Elmer Fudd shooting everything but the rabbit.

    I support law enforcement but don't trust every cop out there.
    Sometimes it is a thin line between good and bad. In my own family I have a family member who became a sheriff and another family member who killed a sheriff,,,,,,same blood line, figure that one out.

  2. #12
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    This is good news. I remember that documentary, and the follow-up documentary that was subsequently released. Both were compelling. As a side note (and yet one more awful element to an awfully sad story), if I'm remembering correctly, one of these three boys was raped in prison, and now has AIDs as a result. I think it was the one on death row, but I could be wrong.

  3. #13
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Thats the problem. We are like Elmer Fudd shooting everything but the rabbit.

    I support law enforcement but don't trust every cop out there.
    Sometimes it is a thin line between good and bad. In my own family I have a family member who became a sheriff and another family member who killed a sheriff,,,,,,same blood line, figure that one out.
    It's not just the cops. Prosecutors, particularly those with political ambitions, frequently are more zealous than is rational or just. This is not universally the case, to be sure, but it does happen from time to time.

  4. #14
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Here's the deal......I'd love for the death penalty to be abolished. Right after someone (maybe you) figures out a way to abolish heinous crimes.

    Whaddaya say?
    Given that the death penalty doesn't abolish heinous crimes either (or even act as a deterrent), and sometimes perpetrates injustices on innocent people, why would abolishing heinous crimes be a prerequisite to abolishing the death penalty?

  5. #15
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It has been my experience that death row inmates who've been released have been "proven" guilty beyond reasonable doubt at least at the time they are sentenced. It is only after the evidence is analyzed and independent lawyers, not assigned by the state, take a look at the cases, that these people are freed. The system is broken simply because there are states who are way too eager to execute people so as not to look weak on crime. It has been proven over and over again that the death penalty simply does not deter homicide. Why we still rely on such a dated punishment is beyond me.
    I am of the opinion that the death penalty should not be applied unless guilt is proven beyond all doubt, a much higher standard than what exists now.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #16
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Given that the death penalty doesn't abolish heinous crimes either (or even act as a deterrent), and sometimes perpetrates injustices on innocent people, why would abolishing heinous crimes be a prerequisite to abolishing the death penalty?
    To say, the death penalty is a deterrent is foolish. To this day, people are being shot in many places in the US like it's free and I cannot imagine anyone with malice aforethought saying "I better not shoot that cop/teacher or whatever because I can be sent to death." If the murder of a PO or any other human is something one would do, you are too far gone for any deterrent effect....As a criminal, you are beyond help

    So, if not deterrence, then what? Retribution, dude... pure and simple.

    There are people in our society who by their very actions have forfeited their right to live amongst that society. Period. They must die. The families of the victims and we as a society need final closure to even begin to hope to heal. Justice demands finality.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    There are people in our society who by their very actions have forfeited their right to live amongst that society. Period. They must die. The families of the victims and we as a society need final closure to even begin to hope to heal. Justice demands finality.
    Two things about this:

    1) Justice is not retribution. These are related but distinguishable concepts.

    2) To the extent that some people deserve to die (and I don't disagree that that's the case) I'm not remotely convinced that the state is competent to make that determination.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,876

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    The families of the victims and we as a society need final closure to even begin to hope to heal. Justice demands finality.
    what about the families who oppose the death penalty?

    if anyone is interested, there's a very good website out there that opposes the death penalty. they campaign on behalf of murder victims and their families.

    their aim is "to put real faces on victim opposition to the death penalty by presenting photos and statements from survivors throughout the United States and around the world, along with photos of the murder victim and links to further information."

    these a real people, real stories. absolutely heartbreaking. these people know what it's like to lose someone they loved very much, and they are completely against the death penalty.
some of them have witnessed the dealth penalty being carried out and they say that it gives them absolutely no peace at all.

    Victims' Stories | Murder Victims
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

  9. #19
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,473

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    This is good news. I remember that documentary, and the follow-up documentary that was subsequently released. Both were compelling. As a side note (and yet one more awful element to an awfully sad story), if I'm remembering correctly, one of these three boys was raped in prison, and now has AIDs as a result. I think it was the one on death row, but I could be wrong.
    They are making a movie and a third documentary will be coming out. I hope your facts are not right, because that would be horrible.
    Last edited by SheWolf; 08-22-11 at 12:33 AM.

  10. #20
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    Re: Ex-death row inmate enjoys first night of freedom

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Here's the deal......I'd love for the death penalty to be abolished. Right after someone (maybe you) figures out a way to abolish heinous crimes.

    Whaddaya say?
    Executing innocent people is a heinous crime. Let's start with that one.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •