Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 168

Thread: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

  1. #81
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Which we already do.

    Are you arguing that more of the burden means all of the burden? Why can't half of the wage earners pay anything, in your view?
    They can and do pay something: state taxes, FICA taxes, fees, etc. The bottom 50% can't afford to pay a whole lot more because they only control TWO PERCENT of the country's wealth. If you took half of everything they own -- not income, but half of ALL THEIR WORLDLY POSSESSIONS, it would equal almost exactly the same revenue you could collect by repealing the top Bush tax cut over a ten year period. Sound reasonable?

  2. #82
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,717

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    LOL! If we don't let you less-than-1%ers win elections, what makes you think we would let you take over the country by Revolution? This is your best option -

    Libertarian Island

    Awesome...fun with pictures. Welcome to "Entitlement Island"
    croydon-fire-in-london-riots-pic-getty-767599016.jpg

    london+Student-protests-A-demons-006.jpg

    Riots-break-out-in-north--007.jpg

    Future so bright you have to wear shades. And a hoodie.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    They can and do pay something: state taxes, FICA taxes, fees, etc. The bottom 50% can't afford to pay a whole lot more because they only control TWO PERCENT of the country's wealth. If you took half of everything they own -- not income, but half of ALL THEIR WORLDLY POSSESSIONS, it would equal almost exactly the same revenue you could collect by repealing the top Bush tax cut over a ten year period. Sound reasonable?
    Is your argument that if one pays a tax then one need not pay some other tax? Given that I pay a huge amount in federal taxes may I please be excused from paying the state taxes, the FICA taxes, fees, etc...? No? If not why not? If the logic is great for one group why not for other groups?

  4. #84
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Is your argument that if one pays a tax then one need not pay some other tax? Given that I pay a huge amount in federal taxes may I please be excused from paying the state taxes, the FICA taxes, fees, etc...? No? If not why not? If the logic is great for one group why not for other groups?
    You seem to be missing the big picture, which is that the bottom 50% doesn't have much more to give. Don't get so tied up in which tax counts for what. Even the poorest Americans pay an effective tax rate of around 16%. As a percentage of *disposable* income that comes to what? 100%

    http://www.ctj.org/pdf/taxday2011.pdf

  5. #85
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Class wars can get ugly when the underclasses are trampled on too much.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You seem to be missing the big picture, which is that the bottom 50% doesn't have much more to give. Don't get so tied up in which tax counts for what. Even the poorest Americans pay an effective tax rate of around 16%. As a percentage of *disposable* income that comes to what? 100%
    Perhaps you are missing the big picture. They perceive that the federal government programs cost them nothing. So, of course, they want more.

    There you go. Big picture.

  7. #87
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Awesome...fun with pictures. Welcome to "Entitlement Island"
    croydon-fire-in-london-riots-pic-getty-767599016.jpg

    london+Student-protests-A-demons-006.jpg

    Riots-break-out-in-north--007.jpg

    Future so bright you have to wear shades. And a hoodie.
    See
    Causes of the French Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  8. #88
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Perhaps you are missing the big picture. They perceive that the federal government programs cost them nothing. So, of course, they want more.

    There you go. Big picture.
    Is that right? Half the country doesn't understand that government programs cost money? I guess we need to spend more on education.

  9. #89
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Is that right? Half the country doesn't understand that government programs cost money? I guess we need to spend more on education.
    Too bad we already overspend... I guess we have to have higher expectations of our educational system. Hell, didn't you see all the video's and posts here on DP about how how education and all sorts of other stuff should be "FREE".
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Is that right? Half the country doesn't understand that government programs cost money? I guess we need to spend more on education.
    ...beginning with your own.

    Tragedy of the commons...

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •