Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 168

Thread: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

  1. #151
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    and I am surprised you continue to ignore the fact that Democrats do the same thing. I showed one link where the Senate did this year. Yes, there is a lot of web pages stating the Republicans won't compromise. There are also pages were it shows the Dems didn't compromise. Bet if you looked at it it all depends on what party ihas the Office of the President and what Party controls Congress. That is the joy of the internet.

    Guess we need to get one party in control of both houses and the office of the Pres. and it won't make you happy when it happens.
    And again, this is the constant Republican reaction when Republican's are clearly at fault: it's not just us! BOTH sides do it!!

    And it still doesn't fly. Republicans over the last four years have been far and away the most contentious and obstructive group of politicians in modern American history -- if not in all of American history. It is plain to see when you look at the record-shattering number of filibusters they've lodged. This is a group that has repeatedly voted against measures that they themselves introduced and/or supported for no other reason than that President Obama approved of them. This is a group that, for the first time in our history, took the country to the brink of default, resulting in our first ever credit downgrade. This is the party whose Senate leader said, at the height of the debt ceiling crisis, that his number one priority was what? To improve the economy? To create jobs? To reduce spending even? No. His number one priority was to beat Obama in 2012.

    You would have to be insanely partisan not to see this.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And again, this is the constant Republican reaction when Republican's are clearly at fault: it's not just us! BOTH sides do it!!

    And it still doesn't fly. Republicans over the last four years have been far and away the most contentious and obstructive group of politicians in modern American history -- if not in all of American history. It is plain to see when you look at the record-shattering number of filibusters they've lodged. This is a group that has repeatedly voted against measures that they themselves introduced and/or supported for no other reason than that President Obama approved of them. This is a group that, for the first time in our history, took the country to the brink of default, resulting in our first ever credit downgrade. This is the party whose Senate leader said, at the height of the debt ceiling crisis, that his number one priority was what? To improve the economy? To create jobs? To reduce spending even? No. His number one priority was to beat Obama in 2012.

    You would have to be insanely partisan not to see this.
    Spoken like a truly "insanely partisan". Please take off your blinders so you won't look so foolish in future postings.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #153
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,028

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And again, this is the constant Republican reaction when Republican's are clearly at fault: it's not just us! BOTH sides do it!!

    And it still doesn't fly. Republicans over the last four years have been far and away the most contentious and obstructive group of politicians in modern American history -- if not in all of American history. It is plain to see when you look at the record-shattering number of filibusters they've lodged. This is a group that has repeatedly voted against measures that they themselves introduced and/or supported for no other reason than that President Obama approved of them. This is a group that, for the first time in our history, took the country to the brink of default, resulting in our first ever credit downgrade. This is the party whose Senate leader said, at the height of the debt ceiling crisis, that his number one priority was what? To improve the economy? To create jobs? To reduce spending even? No. His number one priority was to beat Obama in 2012.

    You would have to be insanely partisan not to see this.
    I'll play devil's advocate. If the Dems would not have put up such a fuss and gone along with some of the orginal proposals, if Reid would have not blocked in the Senate, we would not have gone to the brink. So if the dems do it its ok, but the repubs its bad, got it.
    Thanks for the Democratic spin and talking points though. Oh, and your comments are not partisan? At least I blame both sides equally.
    Last edited by mike2810; 09-06-11 at 07:01 PM.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  4. #154
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate. If the Dems would not have put up such a fuss and gone along with some of the orginal proposals, if Reid would have not blocked in the Senate, we would not have gone to the brink. So if the dems do it its ok, but the repubs its bad, got it.
    Thanks for the Democratic spin and talking points though. Oh, and your comments are not partisan? At least I blame both sides equally.
    It was very very clear that the Republicans were not going to compromise on anything. Obama and Boehner had essentially agreed to a $4 trillion deficit reduction deal but Boehner couldn't get his own caucus to sign on. In the end, in his own words, he got 98% of what he wanted. So I guess you could say that he compromised on that remaining 2%.

  5. #155
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,028

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It was very very clear that the Republicans were not going to compromise on anything. Obama and Boehner had essentially agreed to a $4 trillion deficit reduction deal but Boehner couldn't get his own caucus to sign on. In the end, in his own words, he got 98% of what he wanted. So I guess you could say that he compromised on that remaining 2%.
    Let me ask. If the Dems had the right plan/budget, how come they could not convince enough people on the other side to vote for it? You proved my point is both dems and rep. are putting party before country. They all need to go and we need people in office who will work togeather.

    It also shows failure in leadership, now and in the past. Explain why when Pelosi and Reid, ruled the roost there where problems in passing the budget? Dems controlled both houses and failed in passing anything meaningful.. Oh wait it was the bad minority republicans. Bottom line WO is dysfunctional.
    Last edited by mike2810; 09-06-11 at 07:11 PM.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  6. #156
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Let me ask. If the Dems had the right plan/budget, how come they could not convince enough people on the other side to vote for it? You proved my point is both dems and rep. are putting party before country. They all need to go and we need people in office who will work togeather.
    No, I haven't proven your point. Your point is that both sides refuse to negotiate and it is simply not true. In fact it is the majority party that has constantly given ground to get things done and it is the minority party that resolutely refuses to compromise. As to why, we can only speculate. As much as I hate to say it, I believe that it's because they would rather see Obama fail than see the country prosper. Some conservative standard bearers, like Rush Limbaugh, have said as much in no uncertain terms. They are only too happy to see the economy tank because it makes Obama more vulnerable in 2012.

  7. #157
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,028

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, I haven't proven your point. Your point is that both sides refuse to negotiate and it is simply not true. In fact it is the majority party that has constantly given ground to get things done and it is the minority party that resolutely refuses to compromise. As to why, we can only speculate. As much as I hate to say it, I believe that it's because they would rather see Obama fail than see the country prosper. Some conservative standard bearers, like Rush Limbaugh, have said as much in no uncertain terms. They are only too happy to see the economy tank because it makes Obama more vulnerable in 2012.
    I am confused by your stance of majority party versus minority party. In the house the Dems are the minority party. In the Senate the Repub are the minority party. Not everything is in the republicans control. That is why I continue to throw blame at both parties. Both the house and Senate form budgets, when they don't agree the budget must be reconciled.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  8. #158
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I am confused by your stance of majority party versus minority party. In the house the Dems are the minority party. In the Senate the Repub are the minority party. Not everything is in the republicans control. That is why I continue to throw blame at both parties. Both the house and Senate form budgets, when they don't agree the budget must be reconciled.
    Actually, all spending bill originate in the House, per the Constitution.

    The Republicans are the minority party because they are the majority in the House, while the Dems have the Senate and the White House.

  9. #159
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Actually, all spending bill originate in the House, per the Constitution.

    The Republicans are the minority party because they are the majority in the House, while the Dems have the Senate and the White House.
    Are you actually claiming that the Dems did not block bills and judicial appointments while Bush was President by refusing to compromise with the Republicans ?????

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #160
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, and we all know how incredibly willing and anxious the Republicans are to negotiate and compromise. Unbelievable.
    yes, we do. specifically we know that there have been multiple major compromises this year - and that Republicans passed a budget that they were fully aware the Senate wouldn't send up; because that was their job. The House Budget Committee Chairman has shown more leadership in this area than the President of the United States. That's amazing; that ought to be embarrassing.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •