Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 168

Thread: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

  1. #141
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, and we all know how incredibly willing and anxious the Republicans are to negotiate and compromise. Unbelievable.
    and the others are? Bottom line both parties are unwilling to let the other pass anything of significance because they fear the other side will get credit. Both parties have lost sight on what is needed and good for the Country. Look back at Congressional budget history. Bet you will find that even when one party controlled both houses votes were pretty much down party lines. The reason for committees is to work out a budget that most likely will pass when presented to Congress and the Senate.

    It all points to the fact we have elected people into office who cannot work togeather. Seems it is time for a change. To point and say it is only one parties fault is a partisan view of what is going on.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  2. #142
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    and the others are? Bottom line both parties are unwilling to let the other pass anything of significance because they fear the other side will get credit. Both parties have lost sight on what is needed and good for the Country. Look back at Congressional budget history. Bet you will find that even when one party controlled both houses votes were pretty much down party lines. The reason for committees is to work out a budget that most likely will pass when presented to Congress and the Senate.

    It all points to the fact we have elected people into office who cannot work togeather. Seems it is time for a change. To point and say it is only one parties fault is a partisan view of what is going on.
    That is absolutely untrue, though it is the standard Republican response any time Republicans are clearly at fault ("well, they're BOTH at fault!"). It doesn't fly. Democrats have compromised time and time again in order to get anything at all done. Even then, the only thing that can motivate Republicans to do *anything* is the threat of imminent economic collapse.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Would you walk up to Congress with a budget and waste all time and effort, tax payers money via the printing office knowing they were going to reject it?
    Reid passed the last federal budget in April 2009. Dems controlled the House, the Senate, and the White House for another 20 months.

    What were they waiting for ???

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  4. #144
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    That is absolutely untrue, though it is the standard Republican response any time Republicans are clearly at fault ("well, they're BOTH at fault!"). It doesn't fly. Democrats have compromised time and time again in order to get anything at all done. Even then, the only thing that can motivate Republicans to do *anything* is the threat of imminent economic collapse.
    So in your mind the Democrats are 100% correct on how the budget should be put togeather. You are saying that Democrats have never been a problem in budget development in this country?

    So the House passes a debt ceiling bill and the Senate controlled by Democrats block it, during the part of the debt ceiling debates. Senate Democrats block Boehner debt ceiling plan after House approval - CNN.com. If this is not an example of "Both" parties playing politics, what is?

    You can find numerous examples in the past where one party not in the majority, blocked, delayed, etc., a budget bill.
    Can you prove in the last 20 federal budgets that one party or another got 100% of what they wanted and did no give and take? Doubt it.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  5. #145
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    So in your mind the Democrats are 100% correct on how the budget should be put togeather. You are saying that Democrats have never been a problem in budget development in this country?

    So the House passes a debt ceiling bill and the Senate controlled by Democrats block it, during the part of the debt ceiling debates. Senate Democrats block Boehner debt ceiling plan after House approval - CNN.com. If this is not an example of "Both" parties playing politics, what is?

    You can find numerous examples in the past where one party not in the majority, blocked, delayed, etc., a budget bill.
    Can you prove in the last 20 federal budgets that one party or another got 100% of what they wanted and did no give and take? Doubt it.
    No, I certainly never claimed that the Democrats were 100% anything. My point is simply that Democrats are willing to compromise -- which is necessary in order to govern -- and Republicans are not.

  6. #146
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, I certainly never claimed that the Democrats were 100% anything. My point is simply that Democrats are willing to compromise -- which is necessary in order to govern -- and Republicans are not.
    Your opinion which you are entitled to.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  7. #147
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Your opinion which you are entitled to.
    True, even if his opinion has no basis in fact.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #148
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Your opinion which you are entitled to.
    It's not my opinion -- it's a well documented fact. I'm surprised you would even deny it, given the right wing/tea party's vocal insistance that Republicans not compromise on anything.

  9. #149
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    the Great Depression wasn't a Recession either - rather consistent growth in GDP, as one poster here likes to trumpet. the Great Depression was called Great because of the length of high unemployment . and by that measure, yes, we are getting back there again.
    So your argument is, let's continue with the same trickle down economics that brought us another Great Depression??? Yeah GOP!!!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #150
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: GOP may OK tax increase that Obama hopes to block

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It's not my opinion -- it's a well documented fact. I'm surprised you would even deny it, given the right wing/tea party's vocal insistance that Republicans not compromise on anything.
    and I am surprised you continue to ignore the fact that Democrats do the same thing. I showed one link where the Senate did this year. Yes, there is a lot of web pages stating the Republicans won't compromise. There are also pages were it shows the Dems didn't compromise. Bet if you looked at it it all depends on what party ihas the Office of the President and what Party controls Congress. That is the joy of the internet.

    Guess we need to get one party in control of both houses and the office of the Pres. and it won't make you happy when it happens.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •