Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

  1. #21
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    The low rolling resistance tires used on the Prius and similar vehicles wear quickly. Not as quickly as high performance tires do but faster then typical tires on family cars
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    The Prius is a smart vehicle for today. It's affordable, it gets great mileage and it's an evolution to the next step. I have to wonder how much upkeep were on these units? Maybe it's because the electricity costs were getting too high for Costco?

    If I could get a couple gallons of free gas for shopping there, I'd certainly consider shopping there more often. I wonder how profitable that would be though?

    Costco is really under no obligation to pay for the transportation costs of others even if it was for reasons of cost.

  3. #23
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    The Prius is a smart vehicle for today. It's affordable, it gets great mileage and it's an evolution to the next step. I have to wonder how much upkeep were on these units? Maybe it's because the electricity costs were getting too high for Costco?

    If I could get a couple gallons of free gas for shopping there, I'd certainly consider shopping there more often. I wonder how profitable that would be though?

    Costco is really under no obligation to pay for the transportation costs of others even if it was for reasons of cost.
    I was in Vancouver a couple weeks ago and was surpised to find that most of the cabs there are Priuses. I guess the maintenance costs must not be too bad.

  4. #24
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    That darn liberal Costco, bunch of commie environmentalists

    Oh wait Costco is an independant company seeking to make money and most likely installed the charging stations to attract certain customers. The plan didnt work.
    Conservatives love to go on and on about letting the market decide. Costco saw an opportunity to make more money, but the market wasn't there for it to be profitable. So they pulled the plug (pun intended).

    The market decided, so there you go. Sounds like a process and outcome that Conservatives should be happy with.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    i find it odd that many conservatives rejoice at any negative news story about non-oil fuels. for the past ten years, the message has been that anything and everything should be done to prevent terrorism, even if those measures are against the spirit of the constitution. cutting off money to terrorist organizations has also been cited as a key component of anti-terror measures. however, the predominant export of middle eastern countries (and, therefore, the predominant source of money for terror) is oil. it seems logical that a conservative would preferentially support fuels that do not fund terror. where is the disconnect?

  6. #26
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i find it odd that many conservatives rejoice at any negative news story about non-oil fuels. for the past ten years, the message has been that anything and everything should be done to prevent terrorism, even if those measures are against the spirit of the constitution. cutting off money to terrorist organizations has also been cited as a key component of anti-terror measures. however, the predominant export of middle eastern countries (and, therefore, the predominant source of money for terror) is oil. it seems logical that a conservative would preferentially support fuels that do not fund terror. where is the disconnect?
    The disconnect is your inability to realize there ARE NO ALTERNATIVES to oil that work as well!
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    The disconnect is your inability to realize there ARE NO ALTERNATIVES to oil that work as well!
    Roll back to the turn of the 20th century.

    The disconnect is your inability to realize there ARE NO ALTERNATIVES to hay that work as well!

  8. #28
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Roll back to the turn of the 20th century.

    The disconnect is your inability to realize there ARE NO ALTERNATIVES to hay that work as well!
    Anymore silly commentary you have to make?

    oil provides us electricity, get's us moving in our vehicles, powers aircraft and shipping.

    Ever see a 747 powered by batteries? How about an 18 wheeler? Oil is, the most portable, effective and reliable energy source we have. Someone comes out with a BETTER power source, that does everything oil does and watch consumers flock to it. Driving a battery powered car works for some folks, others, not so much. I drive on average 50 miles a day, to and from work. My car gets around 35 MPG. Find me a replacement that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and works as well and I'm game.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    The disconnect is your inability to realize there ARE NO ALTERNATIVES to oil that work as well!
    this is an example of a modern "get a horse" argument.

    i would support a national initiative to create alternative domestic fuel technology that is able to compete with oil as a transportation fuel. however, the bridge between oil and whatever is next is going to most likely be electric. it seems what we should be debating is what kind of electrical grid we want to build. my preference is nuclear; possibly thorium if that technology is feasible.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,420
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Citing a Lack of Usage, Costco Removes E.V. Chargers

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Anymore silly commentary you have to make?

    oil provides us electricity, get's us moving in our vehicles, powers aircraft and shipping.

    Ever see a 747 powered by batteries? How about an 18 wheeler? Oil is, the most portable, effective and reliable energy source we have. Someone comes out with a BETTER power source, that does everything oil does and watch consumers flock to it. Driving a battery powered car works for some folks, others, not so much. I drive on average 50 miles a day, to and from work. My car gets around 35 MPG. Find me a replacement that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and works as well and I'm game.
    Not silly at all. New things take time. "As well" is too vague. "Too expensive at this point in time", is even questionable if you figure in military expenditures to protect acess to supplies.

    We need to be doing distributed generation. Solar, wind, micro-hydro (woefully underused), etc. I'm really tired of being dependent on an INDUSTRY to the extent we are.

    Battery banks in electric cars represent STORAGE of electricity on a large scale.

    I just can't resist pointing out how much many of these arguments sound like,
    "If God had meant man to fly, he'd have given him wings."
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •