Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 132

Thread: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

  1. #111
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You don't think that US aid organizations (and others from many countries) exist in Iraq? I bet they do. I bet I can volunteer to go to Iraq Peace Corps-esque. And while I'm there, I bet a couple others would like to go hiking and maybe get just a glimpse of Persia - its mountains, borderlands at the edge of civilization... the top of the mountain, and have a look.
    Mm-hmm. Or they could be spies.

    3 agents caught together wearing hiking gear and with nothing of any significance on them (physical evidence of any sort)... in the desert?
    How do you know they had nothing of any significance on them? I'm not sure either the US government or the Iranian government would have any reason to disclose it to the media if they did.

    Were they looking for a big radar-dish that folds out of the mountside to direct the doomsday weapon? That's lol. Seriously, what's wrong with you.
    You might think about the fact that mountain sides are indeed prime real estate for doomsday weapons of the nuclear variety.

    I'm not blustering. I'm employing a basic level of logic against an assumption that supports Iran and is, in reason, ludicrous.
    Basic level of logic: "That's lol. Seriously, what's wrong with you."
    Quite the compelling argument you have there.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #112
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by dixiesolutions View Post
    Tell the Iranian Goverment we'll trade Lady Ga Ga and Justin Beiber for them.
    Beibers not ours is he? I thought he was Canadian. Besides...we are gonna need used up crack whores for the next round of reality shows in a few years...better hang on to both of them.

    (I cant say I have ever heard a single Beibster song...but actually give him props...and hear he has a good crossover and a decent jump shot!)

  3. #113
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You might think about the fact that mountain sides are indeed prime real estate for doomsday weapons of the nuclear variety.
    Ok, you got me. Two CIA agents were hiking with a civilian female in the middle of nowhere to investigate a mountainside doomsday weapon. Our satellites have shown no surface activity and we figure that it is being built with an underground railroad. They were to locate the secret underground installation, gather info from the computers and permenantly disable the facility. Iran nabbed those pesky spies, just in the nick of time. The civilian female was a human shield but Iran was clever enough to figure that out and merciful enough to release the innocent victim of US murder-agents.

    Lunacy.



    I'll give a 1% chance they were spies. You give a 50%+ chance; that's highly irrational. Why do you clearly behave irrationally ("AT LEAST as plausible") in defense of Iran?
    Last edited by ecofarm; 09-01-11 at 11:42 AM.

  4. #114
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Ok, you got me. Two CIA agents were hiking with a civilian female in the middle of nowhere to investigate a mountainside doomsday weapon. Our satellites have shown no surface activity and we figure that it is being built with an underground railroad. They were to locate the secret underground installation, gather info from the computers and permenantly disable the facility. Iran nabbed those pesky spies, just in the nick of time. The civilian female was a human shield but Iran was clever enough to figure that out and merciful enough to release the innocent victim of US murder-agents.

    Lunacy.
    Indeed. You have quite the active imagination. I'd lay off the 24 for a while.

    I'll give a 1% chance they were spies. You give a 50%+ chance; that's highly irrational.
    Nothing about their case is inconsistent with Iran picking up spies, or with Iran picking up hikers and accusing them of being spies. As such, I'm just asking myself which seems like a more plausible explanation for three Americans to be strolling the mountainous border of Iran and Iraq.

    Why do you clearly behave irrationally ("AT LEAST as plausible") in defense of Iran?
    Your silly explanation is not the only narrative consistent with spies being there. Nice try though.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #115
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Indeed. You have quite the active imagination. I'd lay off the 24 for a while.
    You mean TV? Haven't had one in years; haven't been in a home with one in over a year. You're the one defending Iran with wild accusations that COMPLETELY lack evidence.
    Nothing about their case is inconsistent with Iran picking up spies, or with Iran picking up hikers and accusing them of being spies. As such, I'm just asking myself which seems like a more plausible explanation for three Americans to be strolling the mountainous border of Iran and Iraq.
    There are Americans strolling in Congo right now. There are missionaries and volunteers in just about every country. Perhaps if you had the slightest clue, asking yourself might help.
    Your silly explanation is not the only narrative consistent with spies being there. Nice try though.
    Give us a better one.



    You are mindlessly supporting Iran. Gee... I wonder why.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 09-02-11 at 04:49 AM.

  6. #116
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You mean TV? Haven't had one in years; haven't been in a home with one in over a year. You're the one defending Iran with wild accusations that COMPLETELY lack evidence.
    I haven't even accused them of being spies, much less "defended Iran." In fact, I've barely even mentioned Iran's actions.

    There are Americans strolling in Congo right now. There are missionaries and volunteers in just about every country. Perhaps if you had the slightest clue, asking yourself might help.
    But these weren't missionaries. In fact, they weren't even living in Iran or Iraq. They were living in Syria and they claim they decided to go on vacation to the region.

    Give us a better one.
    A better narrative consistent with them being spies? OK, this one seems pretty plausible to me: The US government found a few idealistic 20-somethings living in the Middle East, recruited them as spies, and sent them into Iran's hinterlands to investigate something (perhaps a nuclear site). They were then captured, as spies occasionally are.

    You are mindlessly supporting Iran.
    How exactly does anything I have said "support Iran," mindlessly or otherwise? Which point do you disagree with - that the US is most likely spying on Iran, or that spies will occasionally be caught?

    Gee... I wonder why.
    Because I want to see Iran take over the world and force you to read the Qu'ran. Allahu akhbar. Derka derka mohammed jihad.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-02-11 at 05:13 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #117
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I haven't even accused them of being spies, much less "defended Iran." In fact, I've barely even mentioned Iran's actions.
    You claimed that them being spies is AT LEAST AS PLAUSIBLE as them being hikers. That is accusing them, by saying it is the most likely explanation.

    A better narrative consistent with them being spies? OK, this one seems pretty plausible to me: The US government found a few idealistic 20-somethings living in the Middle East, recruited them as spies, and sent them into Iran's hinterlands to investigate something (perhaps a nuclear site). They were then captured, as spies occasionally are.
    1. I saw that movie, with Chevy Chase and Dan Akroid.
    2. What could they see that a satellite cannot?
    3. ON FOOT?!
    4. How do you explain the female.

    How exactly does anything I have said "support Iran," mindlessly or otherwise?
    You support Iran by believing their completely UNSUBSTANTIATED case. I'd think one would want SOME evidence.

    Which point do you disagree with - that the US is most likely spying on Iran, or that spies will occasionally be caught?
    So, by completely removing context and considering what might be possible... you find them likely guilty based on the word of Iran. At any rate, I disagree with the "likely" part - the US is definately spying in Iran.

    Because I want to see Iran take over the world and force you to read the Qu'ran. Allahu akhbar. Derka derka mohammed jihad.
    One needn't be an extremist to buy propaganda.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 09-02-11 at 01:30 PM.

  8. #118
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    Not done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Ihe US government found a few idealistic 20-somethings living in the Middle East, recruited them as spies,
    This is a telling statement for two reasons (the first regarding ignorance and the second bias).

    1. Do you think the CIA is in the business of recruiting "idealistic" people? No, they recruit top critical minds. Don't be ridiculous in your assessment of the CIA, you're showing your ass.

    2. Why must someone recruited by the CIA be idealistic? You presume that such a characteristic is inherent (or at least somehow relevent) in being recruited by the CIA.



    Given a "Spies Like Us" scenario, as you describe, I'm still interested to hear your explanation of the female's presence.

  9. #119
    I support ██ ███
    jasonxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,405

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    Friend 1: "Hey, lets go outside the country to hike"
    Friend 2: "Ok, where do you want to go?"
    Friend 1: "There is this one spot next to the Iran, Iraq border that is great for hiking."
    Friend 2: "Totally!!"

  10. #120
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: American hikers get sentenced to 8 years.

    I'd like to see Iraq for myself. Often people are like 'what, have you been there', and I could say 'yeah, I saw it'. I'd also like to catch a glimpse of Persia, someday. Anyway, it's not such a big deal and, I'm sure, nine out of ten times a hiking trip to Iraq works out just fine. Sometimes, bad stuff happens but that's life.


    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    they seriously ****ed up and should frankly be bitch slapped for that alone.
    Advocating violence? Perhaps you think they should be tortured. Seems strange, your reaction to people trying to get close to Iran...

    OMG! THEY ARE GETTING CLOSE TO IRAN! THEY SHOULD BE DESTROYED!

    I'd like to go see Iraq and try a look at Iran, if I was already in the area and familiar with or with someone who was familiar with a language (presumably arabic). I'm sure most of the time it's fine. Why are you being so judgemental about the risks that people choose to take in their personal lives? It's not like it affects you; they chose to do something dangerous (don't play stupid and pretend they had no idea there were risks) for what they perceived as worth it. For some people, the internet is not enough (can you imagine?!). Go take the risks in your life that you want (financial, personal and otherwise) and try to refrain from advocating beatings for people who choose something different with no affect on you.

    They'll do their time and write their story, and they'll make it - they're Americans. Why you gotta hate on suffering people.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 09-03-11 at 08:48 AM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •