Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    NEW YORK -- Thousands of striking Verizon workers will return to work Tuesday, though their contract dispute isn't over yet.The 45,000 employees, who have been on strike since Aug. 7, agreed to return to work while they negotiate with Verizon Communications Inc. on the terms of a new contract. The workers are employed in nine states from Massachusetts to Virginia in the landline division.
    Among the issues in dispute is the company's move to freeze pensions and its demand that workers contribute to their health insurance premiums. The company argues that it has to reduce benefits as the landline business deteriorates. More Americans are forgoing such lines in favor of mobile phones.


    Read more: Verizon Workers Going Back To Work, Without Deal | FoxNews.com
    The economic situation smacks the Strikers.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    Verizon has no interest in the poles & wires business, regardless of what the American public does. Verizon has wanted out of that business for the better part of a decade now. They have tried several times to sell their poles & wires (landline) business here in the Northeast without success. Instead what they've done is to create such a terrible service model for the landline business that everyone is moving away from from as quickly as possible.

    These workers are fighting for their LIVELIHOODS. If Verizon does away with their landline business, these people will be out of jobs permanently.

    For those wondering how I know all of this.... I work for an electric utility company that shares a large amount of service territory with Verizon.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Verizon has no interest in the poles & wires business, regardless of what the American public does. Verizon has wanted out of that business for the better part of a decade now. They have tried several times to sell their poles & wires (landline) business here in the Northeast without success. Instead what they've done is to create such a terrible service model for the landline business that everyone is moving away from from as quickly as possible.

    These workers are fighting for their LIVELIHOODS. If Verizon does away with their landline business, these people will be out of jobs permanently.

    For those wondering how I know all of this.... I work for an electric utility company that shares a large amount of service territory with Verizon.
    That's part of LIFE. **** changes.

    Wonder how many horse and buggy makers went out of business because of Henry Ford...
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    That's part of LIFE. **** changes.

    Wonder how many horse and buggy makers went out of business because of Henry Ford...
    What they're complaining about is the fact that it's Verizon's SERVICE that is running many of these people out of the landline phone business, much more than it is the cellular technology itself. Try to get Verizon to set a pole for you, to provide landline service to your new house out in the middle of nowhere (where there IS NO CELLULAR SERVICE). I GUARANTEE you're going to wait at least SIX MONTHS to get that pole set if you live in Massachusetts. It's actually ILLEGAL, but the telecommunications regulators let them get away with it.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    Good for the employee's. I'm glad to see this and hope they can work out their differences.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Good for the employee's. I'm glad to see this and hope they can work out their differences.
    I forsee them walking out again, because I don't see Verizon giving anything at the table. This looks to me (a Union officer) like a way to be able to say.... "See, we're coming back, now YOU need to give something." WHEN Verizon refuses to do so, I suspect you'll see the workers walk out again, probably sometime in mid-late September.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I forsee them walking out again, because I don't see Verizon giving anything at the table. This looks to me (a Union officer) like a way to be able to say.... "See, we're coming back, now YOU need to give something." WHEN Verizon refuses to do so, I suspect you'll see the workers walk out again, probably sometime in mid-late September.
    Maybe. I would hope that Verizon would at least consider relooking at things since the employee's have taken this step.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Maybe. I would hope that Verizon would at least consider relooking at things since the employee's have taken this step.
    As I said before, they want OUT of the landline business very badly. These are almost all landline workers from what I understand. Verizon would love to get rid of them alltogether, but until they have found a way to rid themselves of the poles and wires, they can't.

    I saw a Verizon truck with two supervisors or engineers (I assume) trying to do some work on a junction box yesterday. They both looked totally befuddled and completely ignorant of what they were supposed to be doing. THAT might be what brings Verizon to the point of having to actually negotiate.

  9. #9
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    The landline business is virtually nonexistant. I think the time they are wasting by going on strike they could be using by looking for a different job.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Verizon Workers Going Back to Work, Without Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    As I said before, they want OUT of the landline business very badly. These are almost all landline workers from what I understand. Verizon would love to get rid of them alltogether, but until they have found a way to rid themselves of the poles and wires, they can't.
    So they still need employee's until then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •