Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 519

Thread: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

  1. #31
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Good old tits.... Mammary glands if you want to get technical. We are told that they evolved from sweat glands. First of all, we have to believe that an animal without a sweat gland developed a specialized gland and duct simply for cooling purposes. Plus, not all animals did it, i.e horses and humans have sweat glands, cats and dogs do not. Yet we all have mammary glands?
    AFAIK the suggestion that mammary glands evolved from sweat glands is pure guesswork. Nor is it especially logical, as breast milk is necessary to nurture an infant. Hard to figure how a species would evolve if all the the babies died of malnutrition.

    "It is believed that the mammary gland is a transformed sweat gland, more closely related to Apocrine sweat glands.[27] There are many theories of how they evolved, but since they do not fossilize well, supporting such theories is difficult. Many of the current theories are based on comparisons between lines of living mammals- monotremes, marsupials and eutherians. One theory proposes that mammary glands evolved from glands that were used to keep the eggs of early mammals moist[28][29] and free from infection[30][31] (monotremes still lay eggs). Other theories propose that early secretions were used directly by hatched young,[32] or that the secretions were used by young to help them orient to their mothers.[33]

    Lactation developed long before the evolution of the mammary gland and mammals, see evolution of lactation."

    Wikipedia is your friend.
    Last edited by AdamT; 08-18-11 at 08:36 PM.

  2. #32
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    The thing about evolution is that it is a theory. We have no proof in the fossil record that amoebas lead to humans. In fact, nearly every animal just appeared...when you look at the fossil record. So, either fossils were not possible for a period of time, or creationism wins a point.

    p.s....this does not mean that micro evolution is not scientific fact...just macro evolution.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  3. #33
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Good old tits.... Mammary glands if you want to get technical. We are told that they evolved from sweat glands. First of all, we have to believe that an animal without a sweat gland developed a specialized gland and duct simply for cooling purposes. Plus, not all animals did it, i.e horses and humans have sweat glands, cats and dogs do not. Yet we all have mammary glands?
    We are not told they evolve from sweat glands. That is simply one possible way they could have evolved. No one knows for sure since mammary glands do not fossilize. We do not that there are some transitional methods of feeding young however, such as a discus fish(which are way cool looking) feed their young from mucous secretions.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I applaud Perry for putting evolution in it's place. It's an unproven theory and nothing more.
    If you mean unproven in the same way that the theory of gravity is unproven, and the general and specific theories of relativity are unproven, then yes. However, all 3 are accurate models for the universe.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Intelligence and race are both vague social concepts without specific scientific definitions.
    Intelligence is pretty well defined by the psychometric community, at least to the point where they can measure and predict. It's not deterministic, but it's the best single psychological variable out there in terms of predictive validity.

    Race is a concept with fuzzy boundaries. The fuzziness of the boundaries doesn't invalidate the concept. Computer programs can now sort people into racial groups simply by analyzing their DNA.

    Evolution did create slight genetic differences between humans in geographic regions during the period when humanity lived a fairly isolated lifestyle.
    Not the past tense, please use the present tense. You wouldn't want people to believe that you're exempting humans from evolution now, would you?

    You, like the eugenicists, prove you have no clue about genetics when you confuse them with race.
    1.) I'm not a progressive, so don't lump me with eugenicists. That baggage belongs to liberals.
    2.) Thanks for informing me that I have no clue about genetics. I'll take your advice and give it some thought. Ok, finished thinking.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    I always find it awkward that the overwhelming majority of the scientific community is complete support of evolution and yet evolution seems unproven to the largely religious classes. However, when you ask them to prove the existence of their mythical fairy in the sky, they can't even provide a simple example of its work through anything but a non-sequitur. Maybe some tools left behind by the creator, er "designer"? Maybe a giant monkey wrench? Some planet sized blueprints? Anything?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #37
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Oh sure, they put on an act like they believe in evolution. They know jack squat about evolution. The just like to pretend that they're pro-science and more enlightened than those crude and simple religious folk. Claiming to believe in evolution is a cultural signaler, kind of like driving a Prius - liberals believe is tells others something important about them. It enhances their reputation. It's just a tool used in the game of reputational conspicuous consumption. Cheap to buy in because all you have to do is mouth the platitudes and you never have to apply your belief in real life, politics, or public policy - it's simply pulled out of the reputation grab-bag when it's time to do battle against the religious mouth-breathers and then it's used to elevate the liberal as the enlightened one and browbeat the religious as though they were superstitious cavemen sitting in a cave afraid of the real world.

    Ask the liberal if he believes that evolution has been working on human intelligence and varies by race. Then, all of a sudden, evolution is evil and an appeal to mysticism is launched in that it is stated that evolution isn't operable in humans from the neck up. That's the equivalent of being a little bit pregnant.

    The liberals and the religious are both creationists, the simply differ in which mystical source they appeal to.
    Evolution doesn't work by race. It works by species. A black sheep and a white sheep both have the same levels of intelligence. How they arrive at their pigmentation is a completely different matter. Your argument is a gigantic failure.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #38
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    [/SIZE]

    Read more: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy' - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com


    I have already contributed to his campaign once, and this makes me want to send the guy another check. However, since reason and sanity are not virtues Republican Primary Voters want in a candidate this year, I don't think this will help him out any.
    Kind of smug of him. "I believe in science... unlike some people." People whose votes he obviously doesn't care for. I wonder if he's actually been setting the stage for an Independent run? It's not like the GOP is going to nominate him. Frankly, I hope it happens - he could potentially take a lot of votes away from Obama. Huntsman/Crist 2012? Hmm.

    Anyways, as a believer in the former and not the latter, I'm kind of annoyed that he lumped evolution and GW together, like they're the same issue. And the whole "trust scientists" thing is a major cop-out. The structure of the universe is not determined by some sort of opinion poll of Earth's scientists. I came to my opinion by reading about the actual science involved, not by trusting my omniscient elites.

  9. #39
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Evolution doesn't work by race. It works by species. A black sheep and a white sheep both have the same levels of intelligence. How they arrive at their pigmentation is a completely different matter. Your argument is a gigantic failure.
    If you're setting out to school someone, here's a hint, know what the **** you're talking about. Evolutionary effects are seen at all levels of life, from the gene, to the individual, to the localized population group, up to species. Do you imagine that a mutation spontaneously arises in every animal belonging to a species?

    I know that you don't like having your face shoved into the creationism muck-pit, but your attempts to refute my position are an utter failure which work to validate my argument that liberals who profess to believe in evolution know jack squat about it. They're claiming fealty because it's "scientific" and scientists declare that evolution works. Scientists are smart, liberals like to think of themselves as smart, so they believe what scientists tell them. They just don't understand it for ****. That though doesn't stop them from beating the religious creationists over the head with their "superior" position, a position about which they know nothing other than it is the right and smart position.

  10. #40
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Intelligence is pretty well defined by the psychometric community, at least to the point where they can measure and predict.
    No, not really. There is no universally accepted definition of intelligence, and therefore no accepted test for it.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •