Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 519

Thread: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

  1. #161
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,891
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Nor did your response in comparing evolution to the theory of gravity, which was kind of the point.
    I was not trying to offer a rebuttal against evolution
    I may be wrong.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,026

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It's nonsensical because natural selection is a component of the theory of evolution. It makes no sense to say that the theory of evolution depends on natural selection, but natrual selection isn't a part of the theory of evolution.
    False. Natural selection even fits into creationism. It's stands as a theory on its own.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,157

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    the authority appealed to is actually an authority in the field under discussion, it's not a logical fallacy. It's only a logical fallacy when one appeals to a an expert in one field for his opinion on an unrelated matter.
    Whether or not it qualifies as a fallacy (I don't believe that claim was made) it is nonetheless an appeal to authority and therefore (logically speaking) not a particularly strong argument.

  4. #164
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,157

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    I was not trying to offer a rebuttal against evolution
    No, you were offering a rebuttal to a "just a theory" argument, by (perhaps not intentionally) implying that all theories are created equal, that if we accept the theory of gravity, so should we accept the theory of evolution because they are after all, both scientific theories. Such an argument/rebuttal is about as weak as the "just a theory" argument itself.

  5. #165
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    False. Natural selection even fits into creationism. It's stands as a theory on its own.
    Which is irrelevant. The greenhouse theory also stands on it's own, but it's still a central part of AGW theory.

  6. #166
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    How is it that liberals don't think no god could have had a hand in evolution, but yet they ascribe so easily to the religious cultism of Global Warming?
    I think you're wrong. I'm a liberal atheist, yet if you ask me is there any chance of there being a God and having a hand at some part of the universe's developement I'd have to say that I can't prove it wrong. I think it's as unlikely as any other random theory that has no supporting evidence, but I wouldn't say it's impossible and I think most atheists/agnostic liberals would agree with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    [/SIZE]

    Read more: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy' - Darren Samuelsohn - POLITICO.com


    I have already contributed to his campaign once, and this makes me want to send the guy another check. However, since reason and sanity are not virtues Republican Primary Voters want in a candidate this year, I don't think this will help him out any.
    Wow! Could it be we have a Republican candidate for the presidency who isn't batsh**t crazy, one who actually understands science and isn't stuck in the 15th. century?

    That sounds too good to be true.

    I wonder what Romney has to say on the issue of scientific progress... pro or con? maybe he actually agrees with Huntsman, but knows he has to get the nutter vote in order to be nominated.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #168
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Wow! Could it be we have a Republican candidate for the presidency who isn't batsh**t crazy, one who actually understands science and isn't stuck in the 15th. century?

    That sounds too good to be true.

    I wonder what Romney has to say on the issue of scientific progress... pro or con? maybe he actually agrees with Huntsman, but knows he has to get the nutter vote in order to be nominated.
    Thankfully Romney accepts AGW theory. Rush's comment upon hearing that Romney reaffirmed his stance: "bye bye nomination."

    Apparently acknowledging reality now disqualifies you from being the Republican nominee.

  9. #169
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Whether or not it qualifies as a fallacy (I don't believe that claim was made) it is nonetheless an appeal to authority and therefore (logically speaking) not a particularly strong argument.
    Actually, logically speaking, appeal to authority of this sort is considered a strong induction. If a premise based on this strong induction is used in a logically valid deduction, it is presumed to be sound.

  10. #170
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Huntsman on evolution, warming: 'Call me crazy'

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    False. Natural selection even fits into creationism. It's stands as a theory on its own.
    Very well. I can see where your coming from but out of curiousity, can you answer my favorite question? A question I've never heard a good response to from any creationist I've ever met?

    If you believe that natural selection is a good theory that stands on it's own, and you believe that populations of animals can change over time to adapt to environments and surroundings through survival of the fittest, what parts of humans and chimps are so different that it can't be explained that humans came about by tiny changes over a long time changing from our common ancestor we share with them?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •