Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 116

Thread: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

  1. #61
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

    Why does everyone focus on AGW when talking about energy consumption anyway? Isn't the more pressing point of finding alternate energy sources the fact that oil and even coal are not easily renewable resources and therefore are eventually going to run out? Plus, although I am all about nuclear energy, I don't think that it should be the end-all solution to our energy needs either (at it's current level of technology anyway) due to the amount of nuclear waste that it produces.

    Any other sources of energy we can set up, especially that provide power for individual buildings, including homes, that provide renewable power should be pursued because, in the long run, it will decrease our use of non-renewable resources, such as oil and coal. Wind turbines and solar panels are good ways to help us decrease how much energy we get from oil and coal. The extra benefit of reducing pollution from those sources is a small part of the whole of the benefits of alternate, natural, renewable energy sources.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #62
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

    There is enough NATURAL GAS to last 100 years and it it can be used in every application Oil is used for.


    There are also a lot of things we could do if the will was there, but things like electric cars cost way too much or I would have one, and the Environmentally ill protest such things as SOLAR generating plants because they claim they will hurt some bug or other nonsense, they protest WIND GENERATORS because they look bad or kill birds which is a load.

    We could as I have said plenty of times use a portion of the wasted Foreign to retrofit COAL fire plants to make them clean burning, but because it's logical it will never happen because politics have to play to BIG OIL, and they don't want to tell the Environmentally ill to set down and shut the hell up.

  3. #63
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    There is enough NATURAL GAS to last 100 years and it it can be used in every application Oil is used for.


    There are also a lot of things we could do if the will was there, but things like electric cars cost way too much or I would have one, and the Environmentally ill protest such things as SOLAR generating plants because they claim they will hurt some bug or other nonsense, they protest WIND GENERATORS because they look bad or kill birds which is a load.

    We could as I have said plenty of times use a portion of the wasted Foreign to retrofit COAL fire plants to make them clean burning, but because it's logical it will never happen because politics have to play to BIG OIL, and they don't want to tell the Environmentally ill to set down and shut the hell up.
    100 years is not really that long. It is rather short in fact, in the big scheme of things.

    And very few would protest individual solar panels and wind turbines on individual homes and businesses, which would help reduce power consumption a good deal. Small scale energy improvements add up when you can make it affordable for everyone to do them and would go a long way in reducing our dependence on pollution causing, non-renewable resources.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #64
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    100 years is not really that long. It is rather short in fact, in the big scheme of things.


    And very few would protest individual solar panels and wind turbines on individual homes and businesses, which would help reduce power consumption a good deal. Small scale energy improvements add up when you can make it affordable for everyone to do them and would go a long way in reducing our dependence on pollution causing, non-renewable resources.
    100 years is more than enough time replace oil with better more renewable sources.

    Those who protest are very influential and do in groups such who have CEOs etc, that make over $100,000 a years and will do what ever they can to stay in business.

    They are trying to shut sown plants for a Solar Power Plant East County San Diego, another one in the desert near Nellis AFB in NV.

    It's not the individual protesters that are the problem.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

    The quicker we use up oil and natural gas the quicker we have to find an alternative.

  6. #66
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,096

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    There is enough NATURAL GAS to last 100 years and it it can be used in every application Oil is used for.


    There are also a lot of things we could do if the will was there, but things like electric cars cost way too much or I would have one, and the Environmentally ill protest such things as SOLAR generating plants because they claim they will hurt some bug or other nonsense, they protest WIND GENERATORS because they look bad or kill birds which is a load.

    We could as I have said plenty of times use a portion of the wasted Foreign to retrofit COAL fire plants to make them clean burning, but because it's logical it will never happen because politics have to play to BIG OIL, and they don't want to tell the Environmentally ill to set down and shut the hell up.
    How many years of NG are there if we increase demand significantly, though?

    Neither oil nor NG is going to be a long term solution.

  7. #67
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Both coal and nuclear received government subsidies. It's a shame so many Americans don't want to invest in the future.
    Ridiculous, you have no idea of the $billions that DoE spending on alternative energy research including hydrogen fuel cell technology. Your entire statement is false.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #68
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Ridiculous, you have no idea of the $billions that DoE spending on alternative energy research including hydrogen fuel cell technology. Your entire statement is false.
    You've certainly proved that strawman you've created is false. But nothing I posted was a false at all. Coal and nuclear does indeed received government subsidies in tax credits and direct handouts for research. American Conservatives on a whole complain about renewal energy sources like wind and solar and would absolutely like to defund it.

    Republicans Want To Ax Renewable Energy and Environment

    So which part of my entire statement is false?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  9. #69
    Advisor nijato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charm City, USA
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    417
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Your charts are way too small to read. Even then, I'm certain I would need some background data to explain them.

    Can we agree that in the IPCC report you link to, conclusions were based upon models that were based upon proxy data such as ice cores and tree rings etc. and validated using satellite data?
    Can't really agree to that. Much of it is based on direct measurement. And I'm not sure what you mean by "proxy." If you mean that some of the data, especially from older time periods is based on inferences from indirect sources, that's true. Satellites produce lots of useful data too... where are you going here?
    "A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire

  10. #70
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Evergreen Solar files for bankruptcy, plans asset sale


Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •