Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 358

Thread: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

  1. #211
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    LOL.

    Anything the GOP roles out is better than the abortion of an embarassment you guys elected in 2008. They'll be writing books about the current trainwreck a hundred years from now.
    IMO he has moved too far to the right to try to compromise with the nutbags in the GOP. That was a mistake. But overall he's doing a pretty good job. He got health care passed, although without the public option which would have been nice. He's carefully pulling us out of Bush's wars and not commiting land troops in Lybia. He's been at least pushing to address the rich/poor gap problem, although the GOP has managed to sink his efforts.

    But, regardless of how good or bad he does, obviously even if you take the dimmest view possible of his accomplishments, he's not even in the same league of disaster as Bush2. And obviously Bachmann would be like Bush2 squared...

  2. #212
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    LOL.

    Anything the GOP roles out is better than the abortion of an embarassment you guys elected in 2008. They'll be writing books about the current trainwreck a hundred years from now.
    The GOP should be embarrassed that they can't produce a candidate that would work for the people of this country, how about some one like a Scott Brown who has demonstrated an ability to think pass party lines

    Why is it that the GOP would even consider either Palin or Bachmann, maybe because they know how big business could control the presidency if either were to actually be elected

  3. #213
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    That would be totally insane... I think you're confusing what the government as a whole does with what individual politicians push for. Like say that the country's policy on something can range between 1 and 10. The Republican wants 10 and the Democrat wants 1. Currently it is at 5. So, the Republican pushes for 6 and the Democrat pushes for 4. Not because that would be their ideal situation, but because it might actually pass and is, in their view, an improvement on the status quo. Bachmann's "10" is a hellish theocracy dominated by corporations in which women and non-christians have radically scaled back rights. Bush's "10" is a world without muslims where a handful of billionaires rule over the workers like feudal lords. Obama's "1" is a country where everybody has a decent shot at making it regardless of how wealthy or poor their parents are.
    I think you just accused Obama of being a democrat. Funny because he kept the same standards as the last Republican we had in there. Were he to act like a dem, I might believe it. For now, he has done nothing to differentiate himself as a democrat much less a leader. Frankly, I am tired of more of the same regardless of which party he claims...

    Obama's "1" is a country were he could give a damn about the constitution (patriot act II, Guantanamo, 3+ wars) and works hard to *defend* corporations.

    A Paul's vision is that corporations are on their own. Zero handouts for any of them. Zero bailouts. Treat every company from the corner store to Exxon the same. Let them fail and make them pay the same taxes as everyone else. I think you may be confused.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  4. #214
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    The GOP should be embarrassed that they can't produce a candidate that would work for the people of this country, how about some one like a Scott Brown who has demonstrated an ability to think pass party lines

    Why is it that the GOP would even consider either Palin or Bachmann, maybe because they know how big business could control the presidency if either were to actually be elected
    if what you said was even remotely true, we would see huge corporations shun the democratic wing of this country, when in reality, the opposite happens.

    the centralization of power that democrats have fought for over the last century is a god send to the corporations. they love your platform, because the more power you hand to the government is the more power you hand to the rich.

  5. #215
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    I think you just accused Obama of being a democrat. Funny because he kept the same standards as the last Republican we had in there. Were he to act like a dem, I might believe it. For now, he has done nothing to differentiate himself as a democrat much less a leader. Frankly, I am tired of more of the same regardless of which party he claims...

    Obama's "1" is a country were he could give a damn about the constitution (patriot act II, Guantanamo, 3+ wars) and works hard to *defend* corporations.

    A Paul's vision is that corporations are on their own. Zero handouts for any of them. Zero bailouts. Treat every company from the corner store to Exxon the same. Let them fail and make them pay the same taxes as everyone else. I think you may be confused.
    for some reason, I am unable to "like" this post, even though I love this post. where is the like link?

  6. #216
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    for some reason, I am unable to "like" this post, even though I love this post. where is the like link?
    Refresh the page, if my post popped up for you right after you posted the like button will not show up. Known issue. Let me know if this works.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  7. #217
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    Quote Originally Posted by vauge View Post
    A Paul's vision is that corporations are on their own. Zero handouts for any of them. Zero bailouts. Treat every company from the corner store to Exxon the same. Let them fail and make them pay the same taxes as everyone else. I think you may be confused.
    So no limits on what corporations can do to people at all. Just let them run roughshod over whoever they want. If they want to screw up the air you breath, let them. If they want to refuse to hire black people, no problem. If they want to sell baby blankets made out of asbestos, hey, that's their choice... No thanks. I do not welcome our new corporate overlords.

  8. #218
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yeah...the media told me that. That's it.....

    Look: Paul is a fringe element lunatic who has zero chance, but keep telling yourself otherwise. It will be fun to watch.
    It is about what the media tells you. The reason you think Paul is a "fringe element lunatic" is because the entire dynamic has been presented to you by the media in such a way that you are intended to conclude as such. Both the "mainstream" liberals and "mainstream" conservatives have strong elements of authoritarianism in their philosophy and so naturally when someone presents a philosophy that is far removed from the authoritarianism of both sides you are supposed to view him as a "fringe element lunatic" because otherwise your continued submission to authority would be impossible.

    You are victim to one of the classic methods the State uses to stifle resistance, labeling all dissent as madness.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  9. #219
    Owner/Admin
    Benevolent Dictator Schweddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,512
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    So no limits on what corporations can do to people at all. Just let them run roughshod over whoever they want. If they want to screw up the air you breath, let them. If they want to refuse to hire black people, no problem. If they want to sell baby blankets made out of asbestos, hey, that's their choice... No thanks. I do not welcome our new corporate overlords.
    Would you buy heroin because it was cool? Does your belief system say that no-matter-what you will stay with the bank you have regardless if they screw you over? Hopefully the answer is no, but in your world you do not get to make those decisions. Your government does.

    Reality is actually quite the opposite. There are only 3 or 4 banks overall. We can't tell them to get lost if we wanted to. We walk down the street and it is just another subsidiary of the one we were at. However, we've become complacent. It is the role of the market to dictate what is best for everyone. Corps have more protection than we do from doing things that would otherwise shut them down in a New York minute. Were we to do them, we would go to jail. Gov is there to protect you, not make your *decisions* for you. Corporations are not bad, they are just overly protected and that needs to end. They do wrong because they can and they need to be held accountable for those wrongs.

    Having limits and rules and regulations are very good things when they make sense. Many libertarians are not advocating zero regulations/laws. Creating regulations and laws because they profit others is a very bad thing. For instance, private buying of raw milk is a federal law because it forces the population to purchase from an industry - that is just plain wrong in my book. I should be able to buy raw milk *and* from whomever I damn well chose.
    If you analyse it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

    I am also known as "vauge".

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, keeps momentum

    That is not what I said. The only positive proof the majority of Republicans are not sexist is if they actually elect Bachmann as their candidate.
    And that would be the only reason you can come up with? And you appear unaware that there can be sexism against men as well.

    The Liberals elected a candidate because of the color of his skin and now they want the Republicans to elect someone because of their gender. Little wonder the United States can no longer be treated as a serious nation if this is the criteria to the highest office in the land.
    There are as many brilliant women as there are brilliant men. However, Bachmann and Palin have demonstrated they are not among them.
    Right, because they are "stupid" women. You've explained that.
    Last edited by Grant; 08-15-11 at 02:03 PM.

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •