Page 48 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 2065

Thread: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

  1. #471
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    GHW Bush taught the world that you don't compromise with a liberal. He agreed to $1 in tax increases for $3 in spending cuts. Guess what we didn't get?
    This doesn't change or address what is needed. A debt problme requires it be fought by all means possible. This means we attack spending, and try to increase revenue, just real people do in their lives.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #472
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're not paying attention. And business holding a state hostage, getting all kinds of breaks, and than shipping jobs overseas anyway, for the low, low, low wages, cannot not be appeased enough. We've seen states elminate taxes altogether and still see business leave.

    And before you bring up Texas, you might want to look at Texas just a little closer. The state is hardly paradise.
    You really don't understand what it means to live in a free enterprise, capitalistic economy. If a state is too stupid to price itself out of the market they ae going to lose taxpayers. The movement of jobs overseas isn't the problem, the Obama Administration with regulations, threats of higher taxes, demonization of wealth creation is causing businesses not to hire.

    As for TX, I live here and have for 19 years, best move I ever made. You go back to reading how bad TX is while I live here and enjoy the prosperity

  3. #473
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    This doesn't change or address what is needed. A debt problme requires it be fought by all means possible. This means we attack spending, and try to increase revenue, just real people do in their lives.
    Cut spending back to 2008 levels and then we can talk about tax increases. First let's start with those not paying any FIT to pay something. Then put the 25 million unemployed or under employed Americans back to work paying more in taxes. Until that happens, screw liberalism and the massive expansion of the nanny state.

  4. #474
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That logic doesn't work. Politics played more of a role than doing what was right. Anyone thinking clearly would have to agree the best approach is to cut spending and raise taxes. But, as noted above, when the belief in tax cuts becomes like a religion, faith meaning more than actual evidence, politicians tend to appease the beast. It's wrong, for both parties, but that is what happened and not a sign of what proper to do concerning revenue.
    That logic doesn't work? I guess not when your sole intention is to place blame on someone else. But anyone thinking clearly, should be able to see the blame belongs clearing on Democrats shoulders.

    you want added tax revenue....... allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire would have done that .... do you agree ... or disagree?

    At the time they were set to expire, the Dem's controlled everything, the house, senate, and the white house. No debate there .. that's fact

    No vote was needed for the cuts to expire, and there was nothing every republican in the entire world, could have done to stop them from expiring. that is another fact you can't dispute.

    It was the Dem's and the Dem's alone that moved to bring about a vote on extending them.

    Then 7 months later .. we have liberals like yourself .. coming around blaming Republicans for being against raising taxes ... you're right .. I don't see any logic in where you are placing the blame.
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 08-11-11 at 05:07 PM.

  5. #475
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You really don't understand what it means to live in a free enterprise, capitalistic economy. If a state is too stupid to price itself out of the market they ae going to lose taxpayers. The movement of jobs overseas isn't the problem, the Obama Administration with regulations, threats of higher taxes, demonization of wealth creation is causing businesses not to hire.

    As for TX, I live here and have for 19 years, best move I ever made. You go back to reading how bad TX is while I live here and enjoy the prosperity
    Insults aside, there are problems with having no restrictions on business and asking no contribution to the society that supports them.

    And you might want to check out some factual numbers efecting the rest of your fellow texans.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #476
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    That logic doesn't work? I guess not when your sole intention is to place blame on someone else. But anyone thinking clearly, should be able to see the blame belongs clearing on Democrats shoulders.

    you want added tax revenue....... allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire would have done that .... do you agree ... or disagree?

    At the time they were set to expire, the Dem's controlled everything, the house, senate, and the white house. No debate there .. that's fact

    No vote was needed for the cuts to expire, and there was nothing every republican in the entire world, could have done to stop them from expiring. that is another fact you can't dispute.

    It was the Dem's and the Dem's alone that moved to bring about a vote on extending them.

    Then 7 months later .. we have liberals like yourself .. coming around blaming Republicans for being against raising taxes ... and you say that's not logical ??
    The logic that doesn't work is that you think because they didn't allow them to expire shows that the revenue wasn't needed. No, there are often several reasons for something, and you cannot ignore the polticial. I don't agree with what democrats did, or more rightly didn't do, but let's not pretend it was because we didn't need the revenue.

    BTW, aren't you the only one in this conversation trying to place blame?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #477
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Cut spending back to 2008 levels and then we can talk about tax increases. First let's start with those not paying any FIT to pay something. Then put the 25 million unemployed or under employed Americans back to work paying more in taxes. Until that happens, screw liberalism and the massive expansion of the nanny state.
    Do both at the same time. There was and is no reason it can't be done.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #478
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're not paying attention. And business holding a state hostage, getting all kinds of breaks, and than shipping jobs overseas anyway, for the low, low, low wages, cannot not be appeased enough. We've seen states elminate taxes altogether and still see business leave.

    And before you bring up Texas, you might want to look at Texas just a little closer. The state is hardly paradise.
    Okay so Texas is hardly a paradise, remember that next time you see liberals touting the jobs created under Obama ..... and remember that those jobs created in Texas then shouldn't count in the over all numbers ..... because after all .. that Texas is such a conservative strong hold .. and such a terrible place to be ... you surely won't want to count those jobs created in Texas to count right ?

  9. #479
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Insults aside, there are problems with having no restrictions on business and asking no contribution to the society that supports them.

    And you might want to check out some factual numbers efecting the rest of your fellow texans.

    Texas on the Brink 2011

    Texas on the Brink
    How Texas Ranks Among the 50 States
    February 2011 ~ Fifth Edition
    Originally Created by State Senator Eliot Shapleigh
    Download Texas on the Brink
    Since 1836, Texas has stood as an icon of the American dream.
    Blessed with land, rivers, oil, and other abundant natural resources, early Texas welcomed everyone from cattle ranchers to braceros, from cotton farmers to Chinese railroad workers. These pioneers built a great state, and together we fulfilled a destiny.
    From humble beginnings, we built a state with the firm belief that every Texan might rise as high and as far as their spirit, hard work, and talent might carry them. With education and determination every Texan might achieve great success – home ownership, reliable healthcare, safe neighborhoods, and financial prosperity.
    In Texas today, the American dream is distant. Texas has the highest percentage of uninsured children in the nation. Texas is dead last in the percentage of residents with their high school diploma and near last in SAT scores. Texas has America’s dirtiest air. If we do not change course, for the first time in our history, the Texas generation of tomorrow will be less prosperous than the generation of today.
    Without the courage to invest in the minds of our children and steadfast support for great schools, we face a daunting prospect. Those who value tax cuts over children and budget cuts over college have put Texas at risk in her ability to compete and succeed.
    Let us not forget that the business of Texas is Texans. To ‘Close the Gap’ in Texas, we must graduate more of our best and brightest with the skills to succeed in a world based on knowledge. If we invest in our greatest resource – our children – Texas will be the state of the future. If we do not, Texas will only fall further behind.
    Texas is on the brink, but Texas can do better. The choice is ours.


    Texas On the Brink

  10. #480
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Insults aside, there are problems with having no restrictions on business and asking no contribution to the society that supports them.

    And you might want to check out some factual numbers efecting the rest of your fellow texans.
    There are 25 million unemployed or under employed Americans today, how does a tax increase put them back to work?

    As for Texans, all you have to do is look at the November 2010 election results. Get back to me when you do?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •