Page 140 of 207 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 2065

Thread: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

  1. #1391
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I propose we go the other way. For each of the 80,000 regulations the busybody bureaucrats have created let's have an independent panel review the regulation, its costs, its benefits and then let's allow the voters to decide. Let us ask the voters if they really want to pay another $2K for a car that meets some busybody bureaucrat's idea of how the car should be manufactured. Let's ask the voters to decide if they want to pay more for groceries because some idiotic, unaccountable bureaucrat thinks protecting a fish is more important.

    Taking a page from our political opponents page let's publish the names and addresses of those faceless, nameless busybody bureaucrats...
    Review is fine.But what will you say if after reveiw, they remain?

    And as for publishing names, for what purpose? Do you suspect a conflict of interest? I would agree to that type of concerning being addressed, but not for trying to intimidate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #1392
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There is no specific number, but rather the regulation is in fact valid and needed.
    which one of the "overwhelming number" of em was chief of staff referring---do you think?

    LOL!

  3. #1393
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The government did not create predatory lenders,
    Maybe not the way you think about it. The government did encourage groups like ACORN backed by the Justice Department and other instrument of political power, to coerce lenders into making loans they knew could not be repaid. Affirmative action lending was all the rage. For months we heard of how evil the banks were for redlining neighborhoods. We were told the bankers were <add conspiratorial whisper here> "racists".

    But they weren't. They were assessing risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    many here argue for deregulating, and there are good reasons to encourage home ownership.
    Sure. But ownership based on the ability to pay for the home. Not on someone's ability to coerce a bank into making an affirmative action loan in the first place. ACORN, the Democrats, and the one term community organizing Marxist president Obama, have much of the blame for the 2008 collapse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But the real problems came from outside government.
    This is similar for blaming a rape victim for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. How can one escape the Federal government's coercive measures?

  4. #1394
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    as opposed to nothing, which is what they would have gotten without it.
    they would have gotten NOTHING?

    LOL!

    this is what comes from letting that rant to link ratio get outta control

  5. #1395
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They can do some helpful and hurtful things
    they sure can

    LOL!

    Bush tax cuts: Democrats punt until after midterm elections - CSMonitor.com

  6. #1396
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    [QUOTE=Misterveritis;1059727441]
    Maybe not the way you think about it. The government did encourage groups like ACORN backed by the Justice Department and other instrument of political power, to coerce lenders into making loans they knew could not be repaid. Affirmative action lending was all the rage. For months we heard of how evil the banks were for redlining neighborhoods. We were told the bankers were <add conspiratorial whisper here> "racists".

    But they weren't. They were assessing risk.
    You might want to be careful here. I doubt race played any role in this. If you want to discuss the other issue, we can do that elsewhere with the proper foundation laid.

    Predatory lenders knew the risk, which is why they moved it on down the line. This was not a case of lack of knowledge, but of an intent to get rich before anyone caught on to what they were doing.

    Sure. But ownership based on the ability to pay for the home. Not on someone's ability to coerce a bank into making an affirmative action loan in the first place. ACORN, the Democrats, and the one term community organizing Marxist president Obama, have much of the blame for the 2008 collapse.
    No one coerced banks to make a loan. OWhile I wish that teachers and policemen and fire figthers were all Obama's supporters, the fact is they are not so ideologically bent. Teachers, police officers, firefighters all vote for both democrats and conservatives. Some just see their jobs as important to all of us. And tha some who do include both liberals and conservatives.
    Predatory lenders did so willingly, knowing exactly what they doing. And again, race had little to do with it.

    This is similar for blaming a rape victim for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. How can one escape the Federal government's coercive measures?
    That's an incredibily illogical leap there.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1397
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The idea that government is to blame when the economy is down, and that government is the reason when it is booming, I believe, must be fought.
    you're gonna need some links

    Obama's rating on economy hits new low: poll | Reuters

    i mean, do you really expect self respecting americans to listen to the likes of YOU---completely unsubstantiated?

    LOL!

    party on, peter pan

  8. #1398
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Dues are paid to the union. Payoff has a specific meaning, so you must prove something that meets that meaning. Donating to a party is not equal to a pay off.
    Are you disagreeing that public sector unions did provide get out the vote efforts and political donations to democrats?

    Here are some indicators that you may have missed:

    Reprinted with permission from usACTIONnews.com

    “I’m proud to be here with people who understand that it’s more than just sending an email to get you going. Every once and awhile you need to get out on the streets and get a little bloody when necessary,” -Rep. Michael Capuano

    Battle lines are being drawn as America wakes up to the fact that unions have been in bed with politicians to inflate the size and cost of government at all levels. The cozy relationship amounts to a scheme to steal billions from taxpayers and is bankrupting cities and states.

    Matt Murphy at Dorchester Reporter reports how one such union capo, Rep. Michael Capuano is telling the union members to “get out on the streets and get a little bloody”.

    Capuano is a good example of the incestuous relationship between unions and the politicians they own. Capuano has recieved almost $900,000 from unions and that does not count the help with phone banks, get out the vote efforts, and boots on the ground help by union members.

    According to OpenSecrets.org Capuano’s union dollars break down like this:

    Transportation unions $242,450
    Public sector unions $204,650
    Building trade unions $176,750
    Industrial unions $169,250
    Misc unions $ 91,250
    But Capuano is not alone by any means. Twelve of the top twenty heavy hitters in campaign contributions are unions. All twelve give over 90% to Democrats.
    Organized Labor Party » 2011 » February

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    BTW, you're not answering my point here. Let me repeat it:
    Your point is interesting but not relevant. It matters little the politics of the person who is first in the chain of cleansing money coerced out of the productive and ultimately ending in the campaign coffers of democrat politicians.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm more concerned why you missed so much.
    Try not to worry your pretty little head over adult matters.

  9. #1399
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes, there were warnings. And yes, they could have enforced laws and didn't. But what you advocate in many ways is more control from government, while many conservatives are arguing for less control.
    Even if I disagree with a law, I believe the government should enforce it. They put it there. Enforce it.

    This is but one period in time, and but one set of examples. If government had the power to cntrol the economy, especially when elections ride on how good it is, they would in fact always keep it running. They can do some helpful and hurtful things, but largely depend on the private sector to keep it going, and know that realistically, there is bound to be ups and downs. The idea that government is to blame when the economy is down, and that government is the reason when it is booming, I believe, must be fought.
    The idea that they are "the" reason is wrong. I believe we agree that blame falls in many places.

    While, as I've said before, I agree with accountability, I think the precentage is important, as it effects how we view government. If you think government controls the economy, you will seek a government fix and hold unresonable expectations, as well as giving credit where credit isn't due/
    Again, we agree that those who see things as only one sided are wrong.

    Yes we do. But the percentage I speak of has to do with control and not blame.
    I think that's only going to lead to more dissention. No, it's 45% the governments fault. No, it's only 22%. No I disagree, it's 63%.

    I largely agree with you here.

  10. #1400
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    many have read all kinds of documents and reach incorrect conclusions
    what other conclusion could one reach?

    the chief of staff said it was "indefensible"

    White House's Daley reaches out to manufacturers - The Washington Post

    read much?
    Last edited by The Prof; 08-14-11 at 06:35 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •