Page 124 of 207 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 2065

Thread: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

  1. #1231
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If you claim illegal actives you should note two things:

    1) Illegal means it is against the law, so we should approach it that way.

    2) You have to give some evidence to your claims and not just make accusations. As this would be a factual type of thing, evidence is needed.

    And you do know everyone gives mony to politicians, including business leaders and corporations. So you argument is that you want business leaders to have all the politician buying power? I see.
    You mean like "illegal" Immigrants? Just curious even though off topic

  2. #1232
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Hardly, but we've already established that no one should take this type of thinking seriously.
    link?

    LOL!

  3. #1233
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Do you believe that an amendment that requires the nation to only spend what it takes in will lead to a central government so weak that we cannot defend ourselves nor make the states play nicely with one another? Is that your argument?
    As we are already in debt, yes. And you do understand it is possible to handle debt responsibily. The problem isn't debt in general, but that we as a people want services but not to pay for them. If you tie hands too greatly, you make it too weeak. We've always had to worry about the proper balance, and will continue to do so, but it is balance we should seek and not destruction.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #1234
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Do you have other wonders that are dishonest?
    Trolling is not going to suffice as an answer to my question. You said:

    "Shall we begin to repeal all of the regulations promulgated by the extra-constitutional departments like Education and the extra-constitutional agencies like the EPA? The economy would boom, children would quite possibly begin learning again and the power of the central government would be diminished."

    I replied:

    Yeah that's a great idea. Let's make sure that states can set their own educational standards, like they did in the good old days before Civil Rights. And without that pesky EPA in the way, we will no longer have to endure the evils of clean air and water. Give me a break, man. I mean, really--do conservatives even THINK about this stuff before saying it?

    To which you said:

    I understand. That pesky constitution and the very idea of a limited government is bothersome. Give me a break, man. I mean, really--do liberals even THINK about this stuff before saying it?

    And I responded:

    Can you please try to debate as an adult, or are you going to just spew off childish strawmen arguments such as these?

    May I ask what your reservation is to clean air and water and to solid education?

    To which you said:

    Do you believe that it requires federal regulations for either? As people become wealthy they do a better job of cleaning of the environment. We have arrived. We don't need the federal government to burden us with thousands of pages of regulations and criminal statutes.

    The extra-constitutional Education Department does no educating. They provide parking spots for liberals and a means to funnel taxpayer money to public sector unions. Fire them all, sell the buildings. The students and the taxpayers will be far better off.

    In a side conversation, I said:

    I honestly wonder whether most conservatives understand the basic difference between bond-based debt and loan-based debt.

    To which I replied:

    Do you have other wonders that are dishonest?

    ===================

    No offense but I seriously question your ability to carry on a civilized debate. You dodged both of my questions--see above--and instead, you willfully and intentionally tried to carry on down some bizarre path of trolling.

    Now I am going to try this one last time. If I cannot get a straight answer from you--not necessarily an answer I *like*, so much as one that ACTUALLY ANSWERS the question--then you will be the newest contestant on my Ignore List. And I'll go one step farther: I'll let you decide which question to answer. They are:

    (1) Do you believe that the likely harm to our water and skies that an EPA shutdown would cause is worth it?

    OR

    (2) What is the difference between bond-based debt and loan-based debt?

  5. #1235
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sothose that kept that jobs due to their efforts and due to government money weren't saved? Never mind, an answer would require more than a link.
    The federal government, or at least the one term Marxist president Obama, lied to you. The stimulus was not about shovel ready jobs. It was about transferring nearly a trillion dollars from productive people to his voter base, the public sector unions. It worked. The size of state governments did not shrink. Obama kept his voter base and defunded his enemies, the productive people. Aren't politics grand?

  6. #1236
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You would think that all those trillions spent on compassion would have generated some actual compassionate results.

    Ya mean like poor people having refrigerators?


    oh wait they do now!

  7. #1237
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If you claim illegal actives you should note two things:

    1) Illegal means it is against the law, so we should approach it that way.

    2) You have to give some evidence to your claims and not just make accusations. As this would be a factual type of thing, evidence is needed.
    Are you really denying this? Awesome.

  8. #1238
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    See you're still thinking in terms of party, like a partisan, not about the problem.
    the 5.3T per year ISN'T the problem?

    LOL!

    U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions - USATODAY.com

    exactly how much of the 5.3T does the party in power propose to make good thru taxes?

  9. #1239
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    S&P rating downgrade: What you need to know - Aug. 6, 2011


    Since I know you avoid reading, the short answer is, the S&P downgrade identifies the U.S. is now at a higher risk to default on our debt. THAT is what it has to do with it.
    On Tuesday, Moody's said the United States will keep its sterling AAA credit rating, but lowered its outlook on U.S. debt to "negative."
    Even after a downgrade, the United States will likely still be able to pay its bills for years to come and remains a good credit risk.

    A downgrade really just amounts to one agency's opinion. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke articulated that view in April when S&P placed the United States on credit watch. "S&P's action didn't really tell us anything," Bernanke said. "Everybody who reads the newspaper knows that the United States has a very serious long-term fiscal problem."

    S&P downgrades U.S. credit rating - Aug. 5, 2011


  10. #1240
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    The federal government, or at least the one term Marxist president Obama, lied to you. The stimulus was not about shovel ready jobs. It was about transferring nearly a trillion dollars from productive people to his voter base, the public sector unions. It worked. The size of state governments did not shrink. Obama kept his voter base and defunded his enemies, the productive people. Aren't politics grand?
    There are no Marists here, and saying there is shows both ignorance and a wild partisan ship that defies reason.

    Second, a politician from either party lying is neither new or inexpected. However, the stimulus did save jobs. In the past myself and others have linked teacher and service jobs that were saved by the stimulus.

    Also, were you awake during the Bush administration?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •