Page 111 of 207 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2065

Thread: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

  1. #1101
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,298
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Razor View Post
    It's time to stop divisively arguing the theater being presented to us and rip back the backdrops to expose the reality now that we usually only find out about decades later.
    I think if people actually understood the unbelievable gravity and seriousness of the reality of the situation... the whole system may just collapse.

  2. #1102
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And what Obama inherited: economy shedding 700,000+ jobs per month, GDP shrinking at 6+% per year, financial institutions teetering on the edge of collapse, trillion+ deficit.... Nice improvement.
    Adam, you sure have very low standards when it comes to a Democrat. I doubt you would have been so kind to a republican. Seems that worse unemployment, higher debt, credit downgrade is an improvement in your world. Wonder why liberals have little credibility?

  3. #1103
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post


    New York state actually gained population in the last decade. They did lose about 700,000 people due to net migration, however. But the fact that California did not--look at the electoral college, they did not lose a single vote this time around--and the fact that several other states in the Northeast and the Midwest are losing population, suggests that there are far bigger factors at play here, probably the economy and the weather.

    Furthermore, your assumption that "liberals hate the rich" is a strawman. Most of us never said anything more than the fact that the rich are more easily able to support this great nation. Unless, of course, it is to cease to be great.



    We really, really, really need to get away from looking at just the debt number itself. It is highly misleading. Of far greater importance is our Debt-to-GDP ratio.



    Uh, am I missing something here? I learned in school that if you take a positive number and subtract another positive number from it, the result is smaller than the first number. You wanna explain to me how a-b > a when b>0?
    Thanks to Prof for refuting your claims of NY. You don't lose Congressional seats by gaining population

    Further debt to GDP is why we have a down grade, it is almost 100% of GDP

    I suggest you stop reading left wing sites, FIT revenue went UP after the Reagan and Bush tax cuts were fully implemented as has been posted many times. You can get this information at BEA.gov

    FIT Revenue by year, bea.gov

    2000 2202.8
    2001 2163.7
    2002 2002.1
    2003 2047.9
    2004 2213.2
    2005 2546.8
    2006 2807.4
    2007 2951.2
    2008 2790.3

    1980 298.9
    1981 345.2
    1982 354.1
    1983 352.3
    1984 377.4
    1985 417.3
    1986 437.2
    1987 489.1
    1988 504.9
    1989 566.1
    Last edited by Conservative; 08-14-11 at 09:54 AM.

  4. #1104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-10-15 @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Adam, you sure have very low standards when it comes to a Democrat. I doubt you would have been so kind to a republican. Seems that worse unemployment, higher debt, credit downgrade is an improvement in your world. Wonder why liberals have little credibility?
    Neither side has any cred. When the argument is who was less responsible, there is no high ground. The fact that both sides try to take the high ground by denial of their parties contributions and instead only point fingers away from themselves... takes a toll on the credibility of party message, maturity, public trust, responsibility and accountability, etc.

    Left v Right partisan bickering is nothing more than audience participation in political theater.

  5. #1105
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Razor View Post
    Neither side has any cred. When the argument is who was less responsible, there is no high ground. The fact that both sides try to take the high ground by denial of their parties contributions and instead only point fingers away from themselves... takes a toll on the credibility of party message, maturity, public trust, responsibility and accountability, etc.

    Left v Right partisan bickering is nothing more than audience participation in political theater.
    I don't disagree with you for the most part as both sides have serious problems. The problem is one side is so far left that it has lost touch with reality and the American people. The expansion of the nanny state mentality and entitlement state is a serious issue for this country which wasn't built on the principles of today's Democrat Party. I grew up a Democrat and voted Democrat until Reagan. There used to be room in the Democrat Party for a Conservative, but not any more. The Democrat Party is too far left and that has led to the downgrade of our credit rating, addition of 4 trillion to the debt, massive expansion of govt. reach into the lives of Americans i.e. mandatory Obamacare, greater regulations, and demonization of individual wealth creation and promotion of class warfare.

    I will repeat, I am not a Republican, I am a conservative. I will vote for the candidate closest to my point of view that has a chance to win.

  6. #1106
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    The answer to the debt downgrade and economic problems facing this country today

    Obama can reclaim his dignity with one speech - NYPOST.com

  7. #1107
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    You don't think that 80,000 regulations has any impact on businesses. Then let's get rid of them. All of them.

    Nonsense indeed.
    Regulations exist for the purposes of consumer protection and minimizing market failure. Of course, there are some that are complete nonsense (OSHA can be oppressive), but to invoke an all or nothing argument in favor of deregulation is just silly.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #1108
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Let's start with those 80,000 federal regulations...
    Incorrect. You can try again if it pleases you....
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #1109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-10-15 @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I don't disagree with you for the most part as both sides have serious problems. The problem is one side is so far left
    and the other is so far right

    that it has lost touch with reality and the American people. The expansion of the nanny state mentality and entitlement state
    At the same time of massive corporate socialism, subjugation of representation and non existent accountability

    is a serious issue for this country which wasn't built on the principles of today's Democrat
    or Republican

    Party. I grew up a Democrat and voted Democrat until Reagan. There used to be room in the Democrat Party for a Conservative, but not any more. The Democrat Party is too far left and that has led to the downgrade of our credit rating, addition of 4 trillion to the debt, massive expansion of govt. reach into the lives of Americans i.e. mandatory Obamacare, greater regulations, and demonization of individual wealth creation and promotion of class warfare.

    I will repeat, I am not a Republican, I am a conservative. I will vote for the candidate closest to my point of view that has a chance to win.
    I grew up deeply conservative. By this I don't mean far right or radically conservative, I mean steeped in the traditional values and morals of what it means to preserve, conserve those morals and values by teaching them to the next generation along with the wisdom behind them. Applying these principles is not a stagnant exercise however, it begs to be applied to progressive thinking as a complimentary counterpoint.

    Three principles that are worth conserving which both parties are completely devoid of are...

    United We Stand/Love thy neighbor... At the core of each issue is a government in whole (both parties) that has, is and continues to fail us. The partisan details of the issues are secondary and increasingly irrelevant. The reason (and it's not a partisan one) that they keep failing us must be honestly defined and changed. The primary cause today is the very partisan bickering that is keeping us divided. Fix the part that's broken, and then the details can be hashed out and not before.

    Vigilance. Never take governments or politicians at their word, especially those selling you what you want to buy. Washington's farewell address nicely summarizes the dangers of ideological thinking and/or party allegiance.

    On the primary issue facing all Americans, the failure of our representation is endemic in both parties, top to bottom. Looking to either "likely to be elected" party candidate to change anything after generations of failure on both sides is certifiably insane.

  10. #1110
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: United States loses its AAA Credit rating from S & P

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Do you know the difference between consumer debt and public/intergovt. holding debt? consumer debt is personnally generated. You have no control over what your bureaucrats create. Personal responsibility doesn't exist in your world
    WTF?!?!? How do you suppose this is a valid response to my statement? Trickle-down only works when the consumer is NOT heavily indebted. Otherwise, it doesn't trickle down!
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •