Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 232

Thread: Firm gives $1 million to pro-Romney group, then dissolves(edited)

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    I strongly disagree here. Many people can work for a corporation for a paycheck while despising its politics or policies. We sometimes just do what we have to do.
    Concerning corporations this is true but as far as Pacs, special interest groups, things like the NRA, NARAL, etc it's not. How do you suppose we seperate them?

    The attempt to humanize corporations, PAC's and Unions to the point of having constitutional rights is ill advised and leads to a very dangerous place and I will have no part in it.
    Other than potentially the amount of money, how is a PAC any different than if I get together with 5 of my rich friends and buy some television commericals?

  2. #182
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    No because there are laws and regulations in place to address this. If I feel he erred in judgement there is an appeal process. A campaign donation really is no different than a political appointment. I may be suing for something that is political in nature and I know that the sitting judge was appointed by someone against my arguement, I have to trust he will rule based upon the law.

    Again though, your arguement seems to be skewed to the idea what I like that people can give this kind of money. That's not the case. I simply dislike more the government deciding who can participate and who can't.
    I don't believe you. I think you would be completely PO'd and freaked out and that would be entirely appropriate. It would be very hard to prove that a judge ruled against you because the plaintiff was his biggest campaign contributor, and appeals court generally gives trial courts wide discretion.

    You have the opportunity to express your support for a candidate on election day, by casting a vote for him or her. Why is necessary to allow people to and corporations to give politicians large sums of money, which eveyone acknowledges corrupts the system?

  3. #183
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    No because there are laws and regulations in place to address this. If I feel he erred in judgement there is an appeal process. A campaign donation really is no different than a political appointment. I may be suing for something that is political in nature and I know that the sitting judge was appointed by someone against my arguement, I have to trust he will rule based upon the law.

    Again though, your arguement seems to be skewed to the idea what I like that people can give this kind of money. That's not the case. I simply dislike more the government deciding who can participate and who can't.
    The fact that there are laws does not mean that we can't change them to make them more effective. You say you're against this, but you oppose any laws that would prevent it with the absurd argument that "we already have laws". Something tells me that you wouldn't use this argument when you do favor a piece of legislation.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #184
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Concerning corporations this is true but as far as Pacs, special interest groups, things like the NRA, NARAL, etc it's not. How do you suppose we seperate them?



    Other than potentially the amount of money, how is a PAC any different than if I get together with 5 of my rich friends and buy some television commericals?
    Your question was answered in the part of my response that you parsed out.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I don't believe you.
    O.K.

    I think you would be completely PO'd and freaked out and that would be entirely appropriate. It would be very hard to prove that a judge ruled against you because the plaintiff was his biggest campaign contributor, and appeals court generally gives trial courts wide discretion.

    You have the opportunity to express your support for a candidate on election day, by casting a vote for him or her. Why is necessary to allow people to and corporations to give politicians large sums of money, which eveyone acknowledges corrupts the system?
    It isn't necessary. Just the same as it's not necessary to allow the KKK have a rally in the park. It's better than the alternative.

  6. #186
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Concerning corporations this is true but as far as Pacs, special interest groups, things like the NRA, NARAL, etc it's not. How do you suppose we seperate them?
    Haven't you ever heard of a corporate PAC. Your claim that all PACs are just groups of individuals has no basis in reality and the law.

    The truth is, you have no idea how this corp was formed, or by whom, or by how many individuals, if any.


    Other than potentially the amount of money, how is a PAC any different than if I get together with 5 of my rich friends and buy some television commericals?
    Disclosure, for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #187
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    O.K.



    It isn't necessary. Just the same as it's not necessary to allow the KKK have a rally in the park. It's better than the alternative.
    Exactly what is wrong with requiring disclosure? You keep implying that the alternative is worse, but you never say what you mean. Why not disclose what you think will happen if we require disclosure from everyone who contributes to a political campaign?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    Your question was answered in the part of my response that you parsed out.
    I didn't feel it was so let's revisit it.

    When I worked for J-M they had a PAC, and all but told us how much to "donate" and how to vote "for the good of the company and to keep our jobs". Corporations are very different from, say, a grassroots group of like minded people voicing support for a person or an ideal.

    Unions are compromised of different people with differing opinions. Yet, once their money is in a PAC their individual voice may be ignored by the PAC in favor of a differing one.


    This doesn't negate the point that all are simply a group of people. What changes between the time you have 1 person (you agree that is a person with rights, correct) and when many decide to get together to pool their resources?

    What happened here to strip them of their rights?

  9. #189
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Republican-leaning political organizations, including Karl Rove’s American Crossroads, spent $167 million on the U.S. midterm elections and came out on the winning side of almost twice as many races as they lost.

    Rove’s American Crossroads and Crossroads GPS backed the victor in 23 of the 36 House and Senate races where a winner was declared. American Action Network, which shared space with the Crossroads groups, won 14 races and lost 10. The nation’s biggest business lobby, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, supported the winning candidate in 38 of 59 contests in a year dominated by voter concerns about the economy and joblessness. The groups also spent money in races that have yet to be decided.

    “The record amount of secret money spent by right-wing outside groups turned this political storm into a Category 3 political hurricane,” said Representative Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

    Republican-leaning groups spent $167 million between Sept. 1 and Oct. 31 in support of their party’s nominees, compared with $68 million by Democratic-leaning organizations, Federal Election Commission reports show.
    Rove-Backed Groups, U.S. Chamber Build Winning Record in Midterm Election - Bloomberg

    hey, at least you still got the unions...

    except they're all being decimated

    and by the likes of andrew cuomo in new york, rahm the ram emanuel in the city of shoulders, moonbeam out here on the coast...

    the state assemblies of massachusetts and illinois and jersey...

    seeya at the polls, progressives

  10. #190
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I didn't feel it was so let's revisit it.

    When I worked for J-M they had a PAC, and all but told us how much to "donate" and how to vote "for the good of the company and to keep our jobs". Corporations are very different from, say, a grassroots group of like minded people voicing support for a person or an ideal.

    Unions are compromised of different people with differing opinions. Yet, once their money is in a PAC their individual voice may be ignored by the PAC in favor of a differing one.


    This doesn't negate the point that all are simply a group of people. What changes between the time you have 1 person (you agree that is a person with rights, correct) and when many decide to get together to pool their resources?

    What happened here to strip them of their rights?
    You are ignoring the fact that a PAC can be formed by one single individual, or a corp owned by one individual, including individuals who are not citizens of this country. Why do you continue posting this falsehood?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •