Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 232

Thread: Firm gives $1 million to pro-Romney group, then dissolves(edited)

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    Problem.

    The lawmakers are the foxes watching the henhouse.
    YES, but the answer is not in curtailing the rights of citizens. I understand the frustration but lashing out at those simply excercising their rights is not the answer.

  2. #142
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Indeed it could create an appearance of impropriety. That would show bad upon the candidate. Not a reason to curtail ones rights though. Allowing the KKK have a rally in the local city park makes the city look bad but there is nothing one can do about it.

    It boils down to this. Rights are not always pretty but it beats the alternative.



    With the answer not being that we should stop those with pure motives.



    High risk? I'd say it's rather low. Too risky.
    So can we assume that you would feel the same way about judges? It wouldn't bother you if you were being sued by someone, and that someone happened to have made a recent, one million dollar donation to the judge hearing your case?

  3. #143
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    YES, but the answer is not in curtailing the rights of citizens. I understand the frustration but lashing out at those simply excercising their rights is not the answer.
    An invisible and out of business entity needs evidence of being a citizen holding those rights, or your argument fails. Currently there is far from any evidence of this.

  4. #144
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Indeed it could create an appearance of impropriety. That would show bad upon the candidate. Not a reason to curtail ones rights though. Allowing the KKK have a rally in the local city park makes the city look bad but there is nothing one can do about it.

    It boils down to this. Rights are not always pretty but it beats the alternative.
    Rights are not unlimited. Rights can be limited if there is a compelling interest in doing so. That's why it is illegal to falsely yell "Fire!" in a crowded theatre
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #145
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    On the flip side the "underhanded" actions may come from the other side. Would you say that the attacks on P.P. funding would be happening right now if they were able to keep their support for one candidate or the other more secret?
    And again with the partisan arguments.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #146
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,258

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Citizens United was a disasterous decision. I hope Alito is eating his head shake.

    Does that mean that you don't want unions to contribute to political campaigns, either?

  7. #147
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Raise them. Ask questions. Demand that the government does their job in enforcing it's laws.
    Do you support any laws that would require corps like the one named in the OP to reveal their owners and the source of their campaign contributions?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #148
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Does that mean that you don't want unions to contribute to political campaigns, either?
    Yes, that's what it means. No unions, no corporations, no individuals. 100% public financing of elections.

  9. #149
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    YES, but the answer is not in curtailing the rights of citizens. I understand the frustration but lashing out at those simply excercising their rights is not the answer.
    We are talking about corporations, not people. Do you think that corporations that donate to campaigns should be required to reveal their owners and the source of the money they contribute?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    On the flip side the "underhanded" actions may come from the other side. Would you say that the attacks on P.P. funding would be happening right now if they were able to keep their support for one candidate or the other more secret?
    P.P.? What's that? Sounds like what people do to relief themselves.

    More to the point, it sounds to me like you're being partisan, not practical, by constantly bringing up George Soros and his contributions to Democrats/Obama. As I've said a few times now, I have no problem with an individual or a corporation making a campaign contribution to anyone or any party as long as there is full disclosure. That's NOT what we're getting with this W Spann/Restore Our America/Mitt Romney issue. Still, to answer the unasked question yet again, if President Obama's campaign committee either in 2008 or for 2012 accepts donations from questionable sources and they either refuse to reveal who the true source was or provide refunds, then I'd press the issue just as hard. But neither yourself or anyone else has been able to provide concrete evidence that such has ever happened. All you've provided were links to articles where such was questioned but his campaign responded appropriately, i.e., full disclosure or refunds. I don't see that ahppening here.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 08-05-11 at 02:51 PM.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •