Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 232

Thread: Firm gives $1 million to pro-Romney group, then dissolves(edited)

  1. #101
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    The two parties could agree to do this. When do you think they will?
    We shouldn't leave it to politicians and their political parties to regulate themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #102
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    We shouldn't leave it to politicians and their political parties to regulate themselves.
    They will never do it voluntarily because it would mean giving up their fundraising advantage over challengers.

  3. #103
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    They will never do it voluntarily because it would mean giving up their fundraising advantage over challengers.
    The DISCLOSE Act (S. 3628) was proposed in July of 2010. The bill would have amended the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to prohibit foreign influence in Federal elections, prohibit government contractors from making expenditures with respect to such elections, and it established additional disclosure requirements with respect to spending in such elections. The bill would impose new donor and contribution disclosure requirements on nearly all organizations that air political ads independently of candidates or the political parties. The legislation would require the sponsor of the ad to appear in it and take responsibility for it. Obama argued that the bill would also reduce foreign influence over American elections. Democrats needed at least one Republican to support the measure in order to get the 60 votes to overcome GOP procedural delays, but were unsuccessful.

  4. #104
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    The DISCLOSE Act (S. 3628) was proposed in July of 2010. The bill would have amended the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to prohibit foreign influence in Federal elections, prohibit government contractors from making expenditures with respect to such elections, and it established additional disclosure requirements with respect to spending in such elections. The bill would impose new donor and contribution disclosure requirements on nearly all organizations that air political ads independently of candidates or the political parties. The legislation would require the sponsor of the ad to appear in it and take responsibility for it. Obama argued that the bill would also reduce foreign influence over American elections. Democrats needed at least one Republican to support the measure in order to get the 60 votes to overcome GOP procedural delays, but were unsuccessful.
    Exactly. At any given time one side or the other will perceive that a particular campaign reform measure will give the other side some kind of advantage, so they will oppose it.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    The DISCLOSE Act (S. 3628) was proposed in July of 2010. The bill would have amended the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to prohibit foreign influence in Federal elections, prohibit government contractors from making expenditures with respect to such elections, and it established additional disclosure requirements with respect to spending in such elections. The bill would impose new donor and contribution disclosure requirements on nearly all organizations that air political ads independently of candidates or the political parties. The legislation would require the sponsor of the ad to appear in it and take responsibility for it. Obama argued that the bill would also reduce foreign influence over American elections. Democrats needed at least one Republican to support the measure in order to get the 60 votes to overcome GOP procedural delays, but were unsuccessful.
    Is your concern that Obama who will raise $1 billion in campaign funds will not have enough money in the next election.

  6. #106
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Exactly. At any given time one side or the other will perceive that a particular campaign reform measure will give the other side some kind of advantage, so they will oppose it.
    It's because they don't seek position to serve, but to rule.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So you have no opinion?

    I understand. It's OK when Romney does it, but its' wrong when Obama does it.

    IOKIYAR
    Thanks for proving my point.

  8. #108
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Is your concern that Obama who will raise $1 billion in campaign funds will not have enough money in the next election.
    Try to read some more. I support restricted spending on all campaigns, equal playing fields, and full disclosure of all contributions. I will not get involved in your left/right screeching.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by Polotick View Post
    Try to read some more. I support restricted spending on all campaigns, equal playing fields, and full disclosure of all contributions. I will not get involved in your left/right screeching.
    Make it a Constitutional Admendment. I imagine the states would pass it. It's never going to happen though as Congress would never pass it. I'm not about to agree on curtailing the free speech of individuals while politicians can say whatever they please.

  10. #110
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Super PAC's try end around

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Make it a Constitutional Admendment. I imagine the states would pass it. It's never going to happen though as Congress would never pass it. I'm not about to agree on curtailing the free speech of individuals while politicians can say whatever they please.
    It would require a constitutional amendment even if Congress was willing to do it -- thanks to our brilliant SC.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •