Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 215

Thread: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

  1. #41
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    No, he's got the right figures.
    Military budget of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    To be fair, that's 2012, not 2011, but then again, the budget is supposed to be smaller for 2012. It also includes things like pensions and veteran's affair's, which aren't cutable. But that means that the entire $707.5 billion DoD budget is potentially on the chopping block. You could also probably knock off $15 billion or so from the Department of Energy budget in the form of nuclear weapons disarmament.
    no, because he's double-counting the cost of the wars. the budget figure you are quoting above is with their cost added in; he cuts them entirely, and then adds them back in to "cut the DOD budget by half". in reality, his proposed $500 Bn cut to the DOD budget is a 65-70% cut to DOD, depending on whether or not you are including the war costs.


    mind you, he's probably fine with the larger number - but that only demonstrates that he doesn't really have a solid grasp on how the world plays out in that kind of a US drawdown.
    Last edited by cpwill; 08-04-11 at 07:41 AM.

  2. #42
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    Here are some more facts for liberals, that they conveniently like to leave out of the equation. First is the simple fact that the Iraqi war was already running down when Obama took office, He has done absolutely nothing there to speed that process up in any way. Next it was Obama that sent increased troops to Afghanistan and “increased” our costs of fighting the war there. With little effect BTW. Lastly lets not forget that in Libya it was on Obama's orders and his orders alone that we are there, so that spending in on liberals shoulders and liberal shoulders alone. Spending on wars at the present time is 100% on this administrations time and no one else's, As is the tax rate that was passed to extend the Bush tax cuts.

    As to cutting defense spending, I believe that anything that has a nearly 600 billion dollar a year budget is capable of being cut, I wouldn't even dare to hazard a guess as to waste and fraud in handling such a $ figure, but even 5% ( which I believe to be low) would be a savings of 30 billion dollars a year.

    I think anyone with half a mind, is in favor of cutting waste and fraud out of every program the US government is infused in, from welfare to our defense.

  3. #43
    Student Иосиф Сталин's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Last Seen
    10-02-11 @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    218

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    You cannot maintain a military industry of vast proportions and expect to remain fiscally sound at the same time. You need to prioritize. Taking the Soviet Union as an example, I would suggest you reduce your debt first.
    Freedom is not free.

  4. #44
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    Specious argument since if this logic was applied to the US armed forces in general we either REALLY want to kill others and put our troops in harms way or if we do not then we should just do away with the military all together. After all do we really WANT to be doing war?
    They can be eliminated for the same reason tanks can be eliminated: They're completely ineffective in fighting modern wars. The only thing carpet bombing anyone will do is make us more enemies.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  5. #45
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,783
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    They can be eliminated for the same reason tanks can be eliminated: They're completely ineffective in fighting modern wars. The only thing carpet bombing anyone will do is make us more enemies.
    Still being specious as you have reduced this argument in 1/2 and disregarded the nuclear option completely while reinforcing the sophistry with a reference to armored warfare being obsolete, which should be a separate thread altogether as it could be debated as still a necessary and viable asset.
    The question is more important than the answer!

  6. #46
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You can throw up all the GDP numbers you want, but I prefer to reside in the real world.

    The United States military fields half the combat power it did in 1990. You can through those GDP numbers in the enemy's face and he'll shoot your ass. You'll probably die, because the defense cuts didn't allow enough money for dustoff assets to evac you from the battlefield.
    Sir.. you are wrong.

    According to the DODs own numbers, the active military personnel in 1990 was 2.046 million. Active military personnel as of March 31, 2011 was 1.435 million. In fact to get anywhere near the "half", you will have to go back to the hight of the Vietnam war and even then it wont be half.

    Oh, and most of the troops (by far) in 1990 and 2011 are where..... sitting on their asses in the US. On top of that what countries are you afraid off? Canada and Mexico?
    PeteEU

  7. #47
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What about the next war that comes along?...and yes...there will be another one. It would be idiotic not to mention very dangerous to assume that there won't be.
    The only war we should be involved in would be one where the US was actually threatened, not these empire building blood for oil excursions that we have seen recently. NEWSFLASH...We can no longer afford to be the world police, time to pass the baton.

  8. #48
    Advisor Polotick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-17-11 @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Who exactly do you think we're going to be fighting?
    Whatever boogeyman they can invent next.

  9. #49
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,306

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    Originally Posted by atrasicarius
    "Who exactly do you think we're going to be fighting?"
    "Whatever boogeyman they can invent next."

    That is exactly correct. It is a big industry and so new boogeyman's are invented by the Industry on a daily basis. That's what keeps the Industry profitalble. Lots of weapons, lots of wars, lots of profits. This country's largest Industry has always been War. Let's face reality, we're not the World's policemen, but exporters of war for profit. Grenada, Haiti, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan (this one probably OK), Cuba, Kosovo, Korea, Vietnam, and who attacked us. OBL. One wingnut Saudi and 16 other Saudis. Did we forget to attack Saudi Arabia. Take a look at big money and Energy and realize that wars run on Energy. Ergo, all the big energy companies want more war for good business. So does Boeing, McDonnald Douglas, General Dynamics, Blackwater, Z, vehicle manufacturers, electronics, etc. Ad infinitum. War is our business! Don't it make you feel all proud. Don't count the bodies! Don't show the pictures of the bodies! Don't say that the bodies smell bad! Attack somebody today, build those stock portfolios.

  10. #50
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,808

    Re: ‘Pentagon’s Worst Nightmare’

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What about the next war that comes along?...and yes...there will be another one. It would be idiotic not to mention very dangerous to assume that there won't be.
    My friend we wouldn't be in the wars we are in now if we had not invaded foreign lands. It's amazing how much peace you can have as a nation when you leave other people the **** alone. No empire, fewer wars.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •