Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 538

Thread: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

  1. #1
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    I found this article in The Globe and Mail and had to share. I admit I smirk when I hear Americans complain about tax rates as I knew they pay less than most developed countries. In fact, tax rates in the US today are comparable to those of 1965! Having said that, there's no graph that shows which country gets more bang for their taxed bucks, but that is another point altogether.

    I'm interested in hearing feedback and whether this surprises you or not.


    snip...

    Either Americans dont realize their economy is taxed less than other major economies, or they just have a different standard of what an appropriate tax level is, said Prof. Betcherman, who spent a decade at the World Bank in Washington.

    Most of the rest of the developed world Canada included has managed to bear higher tax burdens for decades, without grinding their economies into the ground. Economists say even an economically weakened U.S. could cope with a heavier tax load.

    The total tax burden on Americans, as a percentage of gross domestic product, stood at 24 per cent in 2009 lower than it was in 1965 and still falling. That compares to 31.1 per cent in Canada, 34.3 per cent in Britain, 42 per cent in France, 37 per cent in Germany and 43.5 per cent in Italy. The Japanese, Australians and South Koreans all pay significantly more.
    U.S.: In state of denial over taxes? - The Globe and Mail


    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    What the Euro-trash fail to realize is that the United States was never intended to be a Socialist Utopia like Europe wants to be. We as Americans do not turn to the Government to fix all of our problems; or at least we're not supposed to. Ours was intended to be a LIMITED Government, not an all-encompassing one, like they have chosen to submit to in Europe. Therefore, we are much less interested in paying into a government that we don't feel we're getting anything out of, and don't want anything from.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    What the Euro-trash fail to realize is that the United States was never intended to be a Socialist Utopia like Europe wants to be. We as Americans do not turn to the Government to fix all of our problems; or at least we're not supposed to. Ours was intended to be a LIMITED Government, not an all-encompassing one, like they have chosen to submit to in Europe. Therefore, we are much less interested in paying into a government that we don't feel we're getting anything out of, and don't want anything from.
    By "Americans" you mean people who think like who, and by people who think like you I mean just you because there's no possible way there are two of you, at least I hope to God.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,981

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Personal income taxes in the US are typically lower by average in America. However, the corporate tax rate is extremely high compared to other countries.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    By "Americans" you mean people who think like who, and by people who think like you I mean just you because there's no possible way there are two of you, at least I hope to God.
    There are more of us than you want to think about, Wiseone. There's you're happy thought for the day.

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Personal income taxes in the US are typically lower by average in America. However, the corporate tax rate is extremely high compared to other countries.
    Does that include money for employee healthcare?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #7
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,452
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    What the Euro-trash fail to realize is that the United States was never intended to be a Socialist Utopia like Europe wants to be.
    First off, let's make this discussion adult and cease the name calling.

    As for your point, where exactly does it state that the US was never intended to be socialist? That is surprising to me since many of your programs (SS, Medicaid, unemployment insurance, etc.) are, no?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  8. #8
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    By "Americans" you mean people who think like who, and by people who think like you I mean just you because there's no possible way there are two of you, at least I hope to God.
    Well...considering that since the country's beginning to current we have not had socialized health care and maintained as low a fed profile as possible, I would suggest that at least until recently, the dependent class that desires greater socialization and higher taxes of those that succeed in this country to support those that dont has been in the minority.

  9. #9
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    First off, let's make this discussion adult and cease the name calling.

    As for your point, where exactly does it state that the US was never intended to be socialist? That is surprising to me since many of your programs (SS, Medicaid, unemployment insurance, etc.) are, no?
    Theoretically at least, Social Security and Unemployment are paid by citizens. SS was created as a failsafe following the depression. We see what has happened since...rather than being seen as a failsafe it is now viewed by many as their sole source of retirement income. Until recently there hasnt been a serious push for Universal health care. I think the message of the founding fathers was clear...federal involvement only where necessary and social programs for those truly incapable of providing for themselves.

  10. #10
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    What's the point of this thread? To make the case for the US to become something it isn't? Here we are the lone super power within a 300 year existence, and there is no end to outside suggestions that we change our fundamental principles. Do I have to actually state the obvious about how stupid such a notion is? Could some of these other countries be living in peace today if a certain country were not sitting across the ocean with the capability to maintain liberty? And now we should change the premise of liberty, and burden our citizens with the the shackles of higher taxes?

    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •