Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 538

Thread: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

  1. #521
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I could support that. Having a box of human bones in the White House would certainly present us with a President with more talent and competence than the Zero we have in the White House right now.
    I doubt that any President faced not only with a failing economy but an opposition party that will go to any extent including ruining the credit rating of our country to defeat him could have done any better then President Obama, I can't believe that anyone would continue to buy the baloney your party keeps selling. Ten years now of the Bush tax cuts and still no job creation in the USA and your party continues to point the finger and blame any thing and every thing but the reason our economy is in trouble. President Obama made one mistake he thought he could work with the party of no, in 2012 the democrats will take back the majorities in both houses, hopefully President Obama will then use his power to set the course to recovery "if" there is one.

  2. #522
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Most of the oil in the Rocky Mountains is in the form of shale, which is reasonably expensive to extract. The lack of development in the Rocky Mountains is less about regulation and more about economics. As the price of oil rises, the development will commence.
    and as technology increases - however, that does not alter the fact that we do not currently drill our west and east coasts, and have limited drilling in Alaska. We have the largest energy reserves in the world and we are stupid not to tap them.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha
    You did nothing to refute the claim that there is less "abject poverty" in Europe than there is in the US, and the size of ones home says very little about the standard of living because SoL is calculated using a number of factors.
    For most Americans, the word "poverty" suggests destitution: an inability to provide a family with nutritious food, clothing, and reasonable shelter. But only a small number of the 37 million persons classified as "poor" by the Census Bureau fit that description. While real material hardship certainly does occur, it is limited in scope and severity. Most of America's "poor" live in material conditions that would be judged as comfortable or well-off just a few generations ago. Today, the expenditures per person of the lowest-income one-fifth (or quintile) of households equal those of the median American household in the early 1970s, after adjusting for inflation.

    For example, according to the government's own data, nearly two thirds of households defined by Census as "poor" have cable or satellite television. Eighty five percent have air conditioning.

    Overall, the typical American defined as poor by the government has a car, air conditioning, a refrigerator, a stove, a clothes washer and dryer, and a microwave. He has two color televisions, and cable or satellite TV reception. He has a VCR, a DVD player, and a stereo. He is able to obtain medical care. His home is in good repair and is not overcrowded. By his own report, his family is not hungry and he had sufficient funds in the past year to meet his family's essential needs. While this individual's life is not opulent, it is equally far from the popular images of dire poverty conveyed by the press, liberal activists, and politicians...

    Studies which claim that the U.S. has a higher poverty rate than European nations use a distorted technique that creates higher income standard for assessing poverty in the United States than in other nations. Because of these biased methods, many Americans are deemed "poor" when, in fact, they have higher real incomes than persons identified as "non-poor" in Europe. By contrast, if a fair, uniform standard of comparison is used, the lowest income tenth of the U.S. population is found to have a real income that is roughly equal to, or higher than, most European nations. The median income in the U.S. is also higher than nearly all European nations.

  3. #523
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and as technology increases - however, that does not alter the fact that we do not currently drill our west and east coasts, and have limited drilling in Alaska. We have the largest energy reserves in the world and we are stupid not to tap them.



    For most Americans, the word "poverty" suggests destitution: an inability to provide a family with nutritious food, clothing, and reasonable shelter. But only a small number of the 37 million persons classified as "poor" by the Census Bureau fit that description. While real material hardship certainly does occur, it is limited in scope and severity. Most of America's "poor" live in material conditions that would be judged as comfortable or well-off just a few generations ago. Today, the expenditures per person of the lowest-income one-fifth (or quintile) of households equal those of the median American household in the early 1970s, after adjusting for inflation.

    For example, according to the government's own data, nearly two thirds of households defined by Census as "poor" have cable or satellite television. Eighty five percent have air conditioning.

    Overall, the typical American defined as poor by the government has a car, air conditioning, a refrigerator, a stove, a clothes washer and dryer, and a microwave. He has two color televisions, and cable or satellite TV reception. He has a VCR, a DVD player, and a stereo. He is able to obtain medical care. His home is in good repair and is not overcrowded. By his own report, his family is not hungry and he had sufficient funds in the past year to meet his family's essential needs. While this individual's life is not opulent, it is equally far from the popular images of dire poverty conveyed by the press, liberal activists, and politicians...

    Studies which claim that the U.S. has a higher poverty rate than European nations use a distorted technique that creates higher income standard for assessing poverty in the United States than in other nations. Because of these biased methods, many Americans are deemed "poor" when, in fact, they have higher real incomes than persons identified as "non-poor" in Europe. By contrast, if a fair, uniform standard of comparison is used, the lowest income tenth of the U.S. population is found to have a real income that is roughly equal to, or higher than, most European nations. The median income in the U.S. is also higher than nearly all European nations.
    More nonsense with nothing to support it. What most americans think poverty is has nothing to do with what poverty is, and your link is full of lies. More than 1 in 5 children in the US are poor. These poor children cannot eat their cable or their air conditioning.

    And again you claim that there's a difference in the way that the OECD calculates it's stats, but once again, you got nothing to back it up with. Repeating lies does not make the lies true
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #524
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    july 18, dept of energy study based on census data:

    98% of americans below the poverty line have a tv, 81% have a microwave, 78% air conditioning, 71% a vcr, 62% a 2nd tv, 65% a dvd, 64% cable, 62% a washer, 55% a cellphone...

    on the other hand, only 38% of americans below the poverty line have a personal computer, only 32% have a 3rd tv, 28% have a printer

    and only 19% of americans below the poverty line have a big flat screen

    Modern Poverty Includes A.C. and an Xbox - By Ken McIntyre - The Corner - National Review Online

  5. #525
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    july 18, dept of energy study based on census data:

    98% of americans below the poverty line have a tv, 81% have a microwave, 78% air conditioning, 71% a vcr, 62% a 2nd tv, 65% a dvd, 64% cable, 62% a washer, 55% a cellphone...

    on the other hand, only 38% of americans below the poverty line have a personal computer, only 32% have a 3rd tv, 28% have a printer

    and only 19% of americans below the poverty line have a big flat screen

    Modern Poverty Includes A.C. and an Xbox - By Ken McIntyre - The Corner - National Review Online
    Funny you guys bring this stuff up.

    Bread and circuses, baby.

    Do you guys REALLY want a bunch of poor people sitting in their sweltering ****holes with absolutely NOTHING to do but think about their situations?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #526
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Funny you guys bring this stuff up.

    Bread and circuses, baby.

    Do you guys REALLY want a bunch of poor people sitting in their sweltering ****holes with absolutely NOTHING to do but think about their situations?
    Things to do other than sitting in a sweltering ****hole thinking about their situations:

    -Help out family.
    -Help elderly people in the community.
    -Volunteer
    -Join a volunteer fire department.
    -Help out at a hospital.
    -Go to the library and read books.
    -Go to school.
    -Look for a job.

  7. #527
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Things to do other than sitting in a sweltering ****hole thinking about their situations:

    -Help out family.
    -Help elderly people in the community.
    -Volunteer
    -Join a volunteer fire department.
    -Help out at a hospital.
    -Go to the library and read books.
    -Go to school.
    -Look for a job.
    No one's stopping you....

  8. #528
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Things to do other than sitting in a sweltering ****hole thinking about their situations:

    -Help out family.
    -Help elderly people in the community.
    -Volunteer
    -Join a volunteer fire department.
    -Help out at a hospital.
    -Go to the library and read books.
    -Go to school.
    -Look for a job.
    And when they're exhausted and still don't have a job, I guess they can still read.

    The point is, the quality of life stuff that keeps being referred to represents a pittance in our consumer society. Most of the stuff on these lists can be, and usually is, purchased used for under a hundred dollars TOTAL. Two hundred tops. Maybe equal to a weeks worth of food, providing YEARS of entertainment/education/communication.

    Computers and cell phones? Pretty much in the realm of necessities in todays society. Few poor people have high dollar gaming pc's. The cost of a cell phone is roughly equivalent to a home phone and provides far more utility. If you buy a $300 pc and have it for five years, that's $5 a month. Doesn't seem like that would provide better utility if spent elsewhere.

    And air conditioning in some areas is as critical to living as heat is in other areas.

    Its just a non argument that IS class warfare, as it presents the have nots as haves because they "have" a couple hundred dollars worth of crap. In their rented house.
    Last edited by What if...?; 08-13-11 at 04:05 PM.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #529
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and as technology increases - however, that does not alter the fact that we do not currently drill our west and east coasts, and have limited drilling in Alaska. We have the largest energy reserves in the world and we are stupid not to tap them.
    You still don't get that no matter how much you produce, when consumption is even higher the price continues to go up. We are producing more oil than in the last decade. Has it helped the price at the pump go down?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #530
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    More nonsense with nothing to support it. What most americans think poverty is has nothing to do with what poverty is, and your link is full of lies. More than 1 in 5 children in the US are poor. These poor children cannot eat their cable or their air conditioning.

    And again you claim that there's a difference in the way that the OECD calculates it's stats, but once again, you got nothing to back it up with. Repeating lies does not make the lies true
    Indeed, you are correct.

    "The share of residents in poverty climbed to 14.3 percent in 2009, the highest level recorded since 1994. The rise was steepest for children, with one in five affected, the bureau said.

    The report provides the most detailed picture yet of the impact of the recession and unemployment on incomes, especially at the bottom of the scale. It also indicated that the temporary increases in aid provided in last year’s stimulus bill eased the burdens on millions of families.

    For a single adult in 2009, the poverty line was $10,830 in pretax cash income; for a family of four, $22,050."

    Recession Raises Poverty Rate to a 15-Year High - NYTimes.com

    If a family of four living on $22,050 is considered having it made, what the hell do the rich people have to bitch about? They get on average, $58,000 just in tax cuts each year!!!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •