Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 538

Thread: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

  1. #481
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Where do you come up with that statement? Sorry, but you do not see abject poverty in Europe as you see it here.
    clearly you haven't spent much time with (for example) the "youths" of Paris. we are freaking out now because of a 9% unemployment rate? old hat for much of Europe.

    however, yes, our lower-income workers fair comparably to the middle class of Europe. The average poor person in America, for example, lives in housing that is the average housing size for France and Belgium.

    Perhaps you meant to suggest that the middle class of America is comparable to the poor of Europe?
    nope, it's the other way round. that's what slower growth will getcha . though now we have chosen to adopt an oversize government with a high debt burden, and so the low-growth fools are us .

  2. #482
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Obviously you never took accounting.... sorry, but prior deficits were funded by funds from the social security trust fund. The creation of the liability to the social security trust fund is already accounted for in previous deficits. Paying back the social security trust fund is actually an act of paying down the debt. Should they have to borrow to pay down that debt, the just moves it from one liability account to another with no impact to the deficit. Paying back the SS trust fund does not impact the deficit.
    sadly you are incorrect. as Social Security continues to run larger and larger deficits, the difference will have to flow from the General Fund; whether that is financed by cutting other spending or increased borrowing is immaterial.

  3. #483
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That was a dishonest claim. I said it didn't cut benefits for seniors. If you think I said what you claim I said, the quote the post where I said that.
    according to the Medicare/Medicaid Actuaries, the actual implementation of the cuts for providers will result in massive quantities of providers either going out of business or ceasing to accept Medicare patients.

    so, as long as you don't consider actually receiving healthcare to be a "benefit", then technically, you are correct. they will still get their Medicare card. It will just happen to be useless.

  4. #484
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,065

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    actually we are very stupid when it comes to not tapping our own natural resources. the entire west coast and most of the east is off-limits to drilling, we over regulate and delay to discourage development of what is open to drilling, and we aren't doing nearly enough to encourage fracking. The US has more oil in the Rocky Mountains alone than Saudi Arabia has.
    Most of the oil in the Rocky Mountains is in the form of shale, which is reasonably expensive to extract. The lack of development in the Rocky Mountains is less about regulation and more about economics. As the price of oil rises, the development will commence.

  5. #485
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,573

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The point is that a 3% increase in tax rates doesn't turn us into socialists.
    and the next 3% won't either you will claim. And when another 3%-you will say the same thing

    when its 98% you will say the same thing



  6. #486
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    actually we are very stupid when it comes to not tapping our own natural resources. the entire west coast and most of the east is off-limits to drilling, we over regulate and delay to discourage development of what is open to drilling, and we aren't doing nearly enough to encourage fracking. The US has more oil in the Rocky Mountains alone than Saudi Arabia has.
    Nothing you said refutes the fact that we are one of the worlds largest extractors of natural resources. All you have argued is that we can extract even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #487
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    clearly you haven't spent much time with (for example) the "youths" of Paris. we are freaking out now because of a 9% unemployment rate? old hat for much of Europe.

    however, yes, our lower-income workers fair comparably to the middle class of Europe. The average poor person in America, for example, lives in housing that is the average housing size for France and Belgium.
    You did nothing to refute the claim that there is less "abject poverty" in Europe than there is in the US, and the size of ones home says very little about the standard of living because SoL is calculated using a number of factors.


    though now we have chosen to adopt an oversize government with a high debt burden, and so the low-growth fools are us .
    thanks to bush* and the republicans
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #488
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    sadly you are incorrect. as Social Security continues to run larger and larger deficits, the difference will have to flow from the General Fund; whether that is financed by cutting other spending or increased borrowing is immaterial.
    No, any SS deficits, should they become longer term, can easily be eliminated by removing the FICA cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #489
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    according to the Medicare/Medicaid Actuaries, the actual implementation of the cuts for providers will result in massive quantities of providers either going out of business or ceasing to accept Medicare patients.

    so, as long as you don't consider actually receiving healthcare to be a "benefit", then technically, you are correct. they will still get their Medicare card. It will just happen to be useless.
    There is no truth to what you said, which is why you can't back it up with any documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #490
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and the next 3% won't either you will claim. And when another 3%-you will say the same thing

    when its 98% you will say the same thing
    Your predictions of future tax increases would carry more weight if only your predictions of the past were not so far off.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •