Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 538

Thread: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

  1. #31
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Lost for words, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #32
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Personal income taxes in the US are typically lower by average in America. However, the corporate tax rate is extremely high compared to other countries.
    Most companies don't actually pay that tax rate because of all the deductions and the loopholes. Many companies in the US actually pay no income taxes, because the tax code is that generous. Debating the tax rate is senseless. Instead of asking if the tax rate is too high or too low, we should be debating how to change the tax code and get some tax revenue from these companies.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/bu...pagewanted=all
    Most Companies Pay No Federal Income Tax - CBS News
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/bu...ates.html?_r=1

  3. #33
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    For more than one reason

    1) To counter the claim that we are a high tax nation

    2) Because if we don't have enough money, it makes no difference HOW we spend what we don't have

    3) Because looking at these facts does not prevent us from looking at other facts.
    How do we not have enough money?

    all I see is a constant appeal to increase budgets - borrow more - spend more. . .in the meantime every year we just hand away BILLIONS in corporate and foreign aid to less than deserving countries and corporate entities.

    YOu think we need ot adjust our view of our tax-status from 'too high' to 'moderate' or even 'low' . . . .andI think you and others need to adjust your view of our SPENDING HABITS and what we do wit hteh money that we DO HAVE.

    Everywehre I look there's excessive waste, poorly managed funds, handouts for no reason, endless war and on and on.

    End all the excess and THEN tell me how we stand.

    Last year I did a report in the subject of agency waste - there are more than 5 government agencies that give money to foreign countries ON TOP of what our Congress directly stipends out each year. . . Holy crap - with that kind of excess kicking around it's amazing we have fallen into this pit already.

    Oh WAIT - we HAVE. HAH! Several times.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 08-01-11 at 01:12 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #34
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,663

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I think you need to take another look at the first graph in the OP. It includes ALL taxes

    Once again, the rightwing must obsess over income taxes to the exclusion of all other taxes in order to justify the massive redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy.
    How many threads here are started by 'left wing' tpyes regarding the wealthy and taxes and social/wealth redistribution? "Right Wing" obsesses???Seriously? May I refer you to...well...the OP...

  5. #35
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Lost for words, huh?
    No, there was no Strawman... I answered a question.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #36
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt View Post
    And the socialist ignore the fact that Americans get hit by far more sources of taxes than Europe. We have federal income tax and FICA which are two biggies. We have other forms of income tax such as capital gains. But then we have federal taxes on telephone calls, gasoline, tobacco, alcohol, and so forth and so on.

    Then we hav3e state taxes. They tax most of the same things that the feds tax and then some, such as a sales tax.

    Then we have county taxes. That's the property tax, another sales tax, automobile taxes, and whatever else they feel like taxing.
    then we have city taxes. Certainly a sales tax, another property tax, seat tax in theaters, hotel tax, and so more.
    Then we had special improvement districts. Where I lived, that meant another property tax for some but not others to go to the hospital. And, a special improvement district for street lights assessed to each property owners.

    And so it goes. Many of the socialists arguing the U.S. has low taxes are lying and are in the favored groups who pay low taxes. To me, it's shocking that almost half of the country pays zero in Income Tax. Those existing totally on the dole have no taxes because they have no earned income.

    And don't overlook the flat-out lying part. In the U.S. the politicians have found lots, maybe over a hundred, euphemisms for lying but it's still lying. My favorite is the current, "I didn't explain this well enough," when what is meant, "I lied and got caught."
    I don't pay telephone, tobacco, or alcohol tax. And while we have a federal tax rate, nearly 50 percent of households pay NO federal income tax rate.

    Nearly half of US households escape fed income tax - Yahoo! Finance

    Many of those people also pay no state taxes, depending on the state... but recently it seems like many governors are completely removing tax rates for companies, and ending credits for individuals, busting public unions- decreasing benefits and pay, and expecting individuals to pick up the tab.

    As for capital gains, you probably wouldn't pay that tax unless you own stock and if you own stock... the tax rate is one of the lowest tax rates there are... lol

  7. #37
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    How do we not have enough money?
    Because our tax rates are too low :facepalm:

    all I see is a constant appeal to increase budgets - borrow more - spend more. . .in the meantime every year we just hand away BILLIONS in corporate and foreign aid to less than deserving countries and corporate entities.

    YOu think we need ot adjust our view of our tax-status from 'too high' to 'moderate' or even 'low' . . . .andI think you and others need to adjust your view of our SPENDING HABITS and what we do wit hteh money that we DO HAVE.

    Everywehre I look there's excessive waste, poorly managed funds, handouts for no reason, endless war and on and on.

    End all the excess and THEN tell me how we stand.

    Last year I did a report in the subject of agency waste - there are more than 5 government agencies that give money to foreign countries ON TOP of what our Congress directly stipends out each year. . . Holy crap - with that kind of excess kicking around it's amazing we have fallen into this pit already.

    Oh WAIT - we HAVE. HAH! Several times.
    Talking about our rate of taxation and comparing it to other nations does not prevent anyone from discussing the issues you mentioned. If you want to talk about waste or handouts, or whatever, please start a thread instead of hijacking this one
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #38
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    How many threads here are started by 'left wing' tpyes regarding the wealthy and taxes and social/wealth redistribution? "Right Wing" obsesses???Seriously? May I refer you to...well...the OP...
    There's a huge difference between talking about taxes in general, and focusin on the income tax to the exclusion of all other taxes. This obsession demonstrates its' existence by rearing its head in EVERY thread about taxes, even when income taxes are not the focus of the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #39
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    ..... and Europeans have gas taxes, council taxes, property taxes, car taxes, road taxes, trash collection fees err taxes, energy taxes, green taxes, VAT, oh.. and capital gains tax as well plus many more.... There aint much difference, other than the rates of the taxes we are talking about and the amount of deductions you can get in the US.



    What is more shocking is that people like you actually believe that drivel and use it as a political ploy to LOWER taxes. Hey I understand your swiss cheese holed tax system needs a major overhaul so the burden gets to be more fair on all fronts, but dont blame the lowest income American's for the excess spending of the middle class and up over the last 20+ years.
    I think the right wing knows we probably need to raise taxes, which is why most of them do support a tax increase on people but not corporations. They support "the fair tax," which is a tax increase on the middle class, a tax decrease on the wealthy, and a 100 percent tax break on corporations.

  10. #40
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No, there was no Strawman... I answered a question.
    Then tell us who is making a "Government cares for your every need" argument?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •