Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 538

Thread: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

  1. #221
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The fact is that we have the second lowest effective corporate tax rate (that means taking loopholes into consideration) in the industrialized world. Only Iceland is lower.
    link please
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  2. #222
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Like most, I care about future generations
    Future generations are getting f%$#ed up the a&& by SS and Medicare.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  3. #223
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Ah, the "not true conservative" fallacy.
    Dubya wasn't a fiscal conservative. Nixon wasn't any kind of conservative.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  4. #224
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And you don't seem to understand what a straw man is. It does not mean "an argument I do not like"
    I know what a straw man is and I don't recall ever seeing a single person saying that the US's tax rates are high by OECD standards.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  5. #225
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And you don't think the same thing happens in private corporations?

    I've never seen a government worker screw up so bad that he nearly brought the government to its knees, and then be rewarded with a $100 million retirement package.
    A private corporation needs to make a profit or at least break even to survive, unless the government is stupid enough to bail them out. OTOH, the government can (and does) lose as much money as it wants to and the taxpayers bail them out every day.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  6. #226
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Both are true of FDR.
    It would be interesting to see you blame FDR as much as Bush gets blamed. FICA, payrolls taxes, etc.....all FDR's inventions.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #227
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,306

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    It would be interesting to see you blame FDR as much as Bush gets blamed. FICA, payrolls taxes, etc.....all FDR's inventions.
    I'm simply amazed that anyone, anywhere would attempt to defend the Lone Star Moron. The man is a shining star of incompetence and nepotism.

  8. #228
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    No, It is adjusted with inflation and total GDP... the reason is because of the economic growth.
    Bull**** they don't have more income than they did 20 years ago. Denying statistics doesn't make them go away you know.


    WHAT? this demonstrates that taxes DO have an effect with the growth of the GDP. After the tax cuts the GDP grew by a lot... this happend in the Reagan years as well.
    As it did under the Clinton tax increace, what's your point???


    It was enough to trigger a response by the president to do an economic plan, similar to obama's stimulus, but only comprising of cutting taxes.
    Correction, It was an excuse to cut taxes.

    "beyond the norm" is your key words... it wasn't meant to increase growth above the average amount but to continue the same amount of growth, because the fear of a minor recession.
    No need to worry about the National Debt eh?


    The $5 trillion in debt was to fund the wars that was greatly supported by most of the american people and all of the presidents intel and our allies intel, and your current president is still continuing the war in Afghanistan and helped out with a brand new one.
    Over half of the money for the wars went to our optional war in Iraq, which the MAJORITY of Congressional Democrats voted against. Another thing we have to thank the GOP for.

    But that debt was not the reason for the recession... not at all... probably didn't help but you should research more on that.
    I didn't say it was, it only contributed to it, and also of course the effect it had on undercutting the SS trust funds which we are now having to deal with.

    Those jobs made no impact on the unemployment rate... the government can't create jobs with any efficiency but only create the atmosphere for the people to create jobs.
    It kept our unemployment rate from being much higher, we avoided another depression. **** a bunch of trickle down economics where lower taxes are supposed to create jobs, we have now had 10 years of tax breaks for the wealthy and it obviously ain't working for the middle class, where are the jobs it was supposed to create? You can try to tell the working class they are doing just fine as more and more slide into poverty if you want to. But I can tell you for a fact, they are not buying it!
    Last edited by Catawba; 08-02-11 at 10:14 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #229
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I'm simply amazed that anyone, anywhere would attempt to defend the Lone Star Moron. The man is a shining star of incompetence and nepotism.
    No he isn't, you're clueless.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #230
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: U.S.: In state of denial over taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The fact is that we have the second lowest effective corporate tax rate (that means taking loopholes into consideration) in the industrialized world. Only Iceland is lower.
    But just look at all the jobs those tax breaks we gave away have brought us, just look at all the jobs out there...........................oh wait, never mind.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •