Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 480

Thread: Breaking: Agreement has been reached on raising the debt limit....

  1. #291
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post

    What the hell is funny about that?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Yes, I have shown why. There's a natural disaster which requires federal aid but the federal government can't spend any more money during that fiscal year due a Constitutional amendment.
    You REALLy arent paying attention.
    I offered -4- solutions to this. You AGREED to one of them as viable, and you have yet to argue against the 4th.
    So, nothing you've offered here creates a solid argument against a BBA.

    And again ... it's not just natural disasters ... it may be a market crash ... it may be another housing crash ... it may be a recession ... it may be a terrorist attack like 9.11 ... it may be a recession.
    And these differ from your original assertion, because...?
    ALL of these things are unexpeted events that you believe require the government to do something.
    ALL of the solutions I presented apply to all of these perdicaments.

    Last time I'm gonna say this ... I don't think it's wise to tie Congress' hands like that while you still have the option to vote them out.
    What you really mean to say, for the last time, is that, like most liberals, your -first- solution for the government needing money is to borrow it.

  3. #293
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    No, I can't, as I don't really mean it. That was meant as a joke for Conservative who shifts blame on everything to the nearest Democrat he can find.
    Um, ok...Well, as a joke it came strikingly close to some of the talking point pap you can hear at any given moment on MSNBC. So, still wondering if you really deep down aren't really expressing a hint of your true feeling there.

    In any case, do you think that Obama led in this process?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    could you outline for me how a demo house, and senate from '06 on, and then both houses, and the presidency from '08 to present allows you to still, nearly 5 years later still focus blame on bush, and the repubs?
    Well duh...
    Bush (R)
    Obama (D)
    Last edited by PzKfW IVe; 08-01-11 at 04:10 PM.

  5. #295
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Could you outline for me how a demo house, and Senate from '06 on, and then both houses, and the Presidency from '08 to present allows you to still, nearly 5 years later still focus blame on Bush, and the repubs?

    I will concede that repubs totally screwed things up when they had the total control, and Bush did some things that I don't agree with on that front as well, but if you are still trying to blame this present day economy, and amount of out of control spending on the repubs, then with all due respect you are really deluding yourself.

    This is Obama's economy and dismal outcome lock, stock, and barrel.

    j-mac
    The answer is obviously that both sides have to take responsibility for their own actions. Obama is responsible for the things he has done, and the republicans are responsible for the things they have done. Not sure why this is so confusing to some.

    Obama would have preferred a larger stimulus which might have actually allowed the economy to become self sustaining (or might not have), but Republicans opposed his effort and the stimulus had to be scaled back to get even moderate (but necessary) support.

    Obama wanted a public option in the health care reform bill, which would have reduced the deficit, but that was a line in the sand for republicans, who opposed it. So they can claim credit for that.

    Obama wanted to the top-tier Bush tax cuts to expire, which would have reduced the deficit, but republicans insisted that they had to remain. So they can claim credit for that.

    Obama agreed in principle to $4 trillion in deficit reduction, comprised of elimination of tax loopholes and spending cuts, but republicans would not go along with that, opting instead for under $2 trillion in deficit reduction. So they can claim credit for that.

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post

    What the hell is funny about that?

    j-mac
    I find it amusing that Conservative uses the thread topic like a condom to protect himself from losing an argument.

    You don't find that funny?

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The answer is obviously that both sides have to take responsibility for their own actions. Obama is responsible for the things he has done, and the republicans are responsible for the things they have done. Not sure why this is so confusing to some.

    Obama would have preferred a larger stimulus which might have actually allowed the economy to become self sustaining (or might not have), but Republicans opposed his effort and the stimulus had to be scaled back to get even moderate (but necessary) support.

    Obama wanted a public option in the health care reform bill, which would have reduced the deficit, but that was a line in the sand for republicans, who opposed it. So they can claim credit for that.

    Obama wanted to the top-tier Bush tax cuts to expire, which would have reduced the deficit, but republicans insisted that they had to remain. So they can claim credit for that.

    Obama agreed in principle to $4 trillion in deficit reduction, comprised of elimination of tax loopholes and spending cuts, but republicans would not go along with that, opting instead for under $2 trillion in deficit reduction. So they can claim credit for that.
    Lesse...

    -Blame the GOP. Check
    -Absolve the Dems. Check.
    -Defend The Obama. Check

    Good boy! Well done! Go collect your treat!

  8. #298
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Lesse...

    -Blame the GOP. Check
    -Absolve the Dems. Check.
    -Defend The Obama. Check

    Good boy! Well done! Go collect your treat!
    Translation: I have no substantive response.

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Translation: I have no substantive response.
    1: Partisan bigotry requires none
    2: The partisan bigot will accept none.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Obama: We have a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Um, ok...Well, as a joke it came strikingly close to some of the talking point pap you can hear at any given moment on MSNBC. So, still wondering if you really deep down aren't really expressing a hint of your true feeling there.

    In any case, do you think that Obama led in this process?

    j-mac
    Of course he led. The two sides reached an agreement, didn't they? Conservatives can't have it both ways. While the two sides are a chasm apart, Conservatives attack Obama saying a real leader would have been able to bring the two sides together. Well, Obama did that and they reached an agreement. Y'all can't attack his leadership abilities for accomplishing what you were attacking his leadership abilities for.

    :

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •