Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 328

Thread: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

  1. #311
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What's the problem, Adam, a little logic, common sense, and facts confusing you? You must be asking yourself how in the world did the liberal rhetoric be so wrong since they "mean so well?" Noticed that when presented with facts you either ignore them or simply don't respond at all.
    Assuming, arguendo, that your numbers are accurate, you haven't addressed the revenue side of the equation, which renders your argument meaningless. What's more, your spending analysis is woefully oversimplified. The government doesn't *just* pay interest on the debt -- it also has to repay the principal! Thus, in the next 30 days, the Treasury has $500 billion in notes coming due. Oops. I guess that throws off your "facts" a little bit. Now, as Secretary Geithner pointed out, the normal course is for debt holders to buy new Treasuries when their existing ones expire, but it's quite likely that lenders will be reluctant to do that if the country is bouncing checks left and right.
    Last edited by AdamT; 08-01-11 at 01:01 AM.

  2. #312
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Assuming, arguendo, that your numbers are accurate, you haven't addressed the revenue side of the equation, which renders your argument meaningless. What's more, your spending analysis is woefully oversimplified. The government doesn't *just* pay interest on the debt -- it also has to repay the principal! Thus, in the next 30 days, the Treasury has $500 billion in notes coming due. Oops. I guess that throws off your "facts" a little bit. Now, as Secretary Geithner pointed out, the normal course is for debt holders to buy new Treasuries when their existing ones expire, but it's quite likely that lenders will be reluctant to do that if the country is bouncing checks left and right.
    You issue was default and I showed you that there were enough revenue to pay our debt service which prevents default. We don't need a 3.7 trillion dollar Federal Govt. and that is the point. We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem

  3. #313
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    The average year to maturity on all U.S. debt is between 59 and 65 months.
    Last edited by Kushinator; 08-01-11 at 10:17 PM. Reason: estimates vary based on assumptions of future interest rates
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #314
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    08-18-11 @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    89

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    A note on inflation: In capitalist economies in order to have economic growth you have to have inflation, but that doesn't mean that the politicians are doing a good job. Free trade and economic deficits are speeding up the process in ruining our dollar.

  5. #315
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    A note on inflation: In capitalist economies in order to have economic growth you have to have inflation, but that doesn't mean that the politicians are doing a good job. Free trade and economic deficits are speeding up the process in ruining our dollar.
    Inflation is still at a sub-optimal level! The dollar will continue to be the reserve currency as long as the rest of the world requires us to import their manufactured goods.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #316
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    08-18-11 @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    89

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Inflation is still at a sub-optimal level! The dollar will continue to be the reserve currency as long as the rest of the world requires us to import their manufactured goods.
    Wouldn't demand for it go down then?

  7. #317
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You issue was default and I showed you that there were enough revenue to pay our debt service which prevents default. We don't need a 3.7 trillion dollar Federal Govt. and that is the point. We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem
    Once more, slowly: it isn't just a failure to pay the debt service that results in a default. ANY failure to pay our obligations is a default.

  8. #318
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Inflation is still at a sub-optimal level! The dollar will continue to be the reserve currency as long as the rest of the world requires us to import their manufactured goods.
    Super low inflation is actually a problem at the moment. Corporations would not be sitting on a $2 trillion pile of cash if it was being devalued at a rate of 10-15% per year.

    As far as our being the reserve currency, it brings to mind the old bear joke: "Two campers were hiking in the forest when all of a sudden a bear jumps out of a bush and starts chasing them. Both campers start running for their lives, when one of them stops and starts to put on his running shoes.

    His partner says, 'What are you doing? You can't outrun a bear!'

    His friend replies, 'I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you!'"

    In other words, we just have to be a less scary alternative than Europe and China.

  9. #319
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,782

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Inflation is still at a sub-optimal level! The dollar will continue to be the reserve currency as long as the rest of the world requires us to import their manufactured goods.
    Thats not entirely true.

    Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2011, Annual and Monthly Tables - US Inflation Calculator

    According to that we are in the highest inflation rate since about 1990; its also trending upwards, thats a bad sign. Hard to say if its going to continue or not.

  10. #320
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Thats not entirely true.

    Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2011, Annual and Monthly Tables - US Inflation Calculator

    According to that we are in the highest inflation rate since about 1990; its also trending upwards, thats a bad sign. Hard to say if its going to continue or not.
    Are you reading the same data I'm reading? CPI was at 3.6% for both May and June 2011. It was much higher just 3 years ago at the peak of the financial crisis, according to that data. If you go further back, 2005 had some months where CPI hovered around 4%, and there were some moderately high inflation rates during the recession of 2001. With all due respect, am I missing something here and just reading the chart wrong?
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 08-01-11 at 11:50 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •