Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 328

Thread: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

  1. #151
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Noticed that you ignored the fiscal year informaton regarding the Govt. Guess when proven wrong it is a lot easier to ignore the information hoping that if you say the same thing over and over enough that it eventually becomes true.

    Oh, wait - you get to use calendar year number when bashing Obama on jobs, but we have to use fiscal year numbers when discussing Congress? Please just let us know - oh, glorified one - which set of numbers we're supposed to use in which thread and we will obey your rules since obviously you are the end all and be all of debaters and could - if only we would recognize it - rescue the entire world's economy with your glorious knowledge.

    I'll meet you back in the thread about Bush's job creation and Obama's job creation so we can compare fiscal year numbers.

    Or are we supposed to only use calendar year's when discussing that topic? Which is more convenient for you to defend your party's policies?

  2. #152
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    No, actually it's because several conservatives have said the recession was the fault of the Democrats being in Congress for a year-and-a-half when it occurred. So if it's the Democrats being in Congress at fault for the recession, the Republicans have to suck this one up and eat it.

    However, the Republicans did say they would get us jobs if they were elected and so far they have not done so.

    But they are trying to pass a bill that will still have our national credit rating downgraded, which will cause all Americans to pay higher interest rates, increase the debt we currently have and THEN force everyone back into the same death spiral again in six months.

    That's responsible.
    But they have at least wasted critical time voting on a bill that was dead in the water the moment it was conceived!

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Maybe then you folks would actually do some research on the issue outside of partisan bloggers and journalists.
    tell it to krugman, tell it to time

  4. #154
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post

    GDP growth Since the recession came to an end:

    2009 Q4 - 3.8%
    2010 Q1 - 3.9%
    2010 Q2 - 3.7%
    2010 Q3 - 2.5%
    2010 Q4 - 2.3%

    GDP growth Since Republicans took the House:

    2011 Q1 - .4%
    2011 Q2 - 1.3%
    Oh! I love these games!

    Sooo... FFG, as bad as things seem right now, you need only consider the alternative to realize that things could be worse.

    Much worse.

    Like, historical proportions worse. Right?


    GDP growth When Democrats took the House.

    2007 Q1 - 0.9%
    2007 Q2 - 3.2%
    2007 Q3 - 2.3%
    2007 Q4 - 2.9%
    2008 Q1 - -0.7%
    2008 Q2 - 0.6%
    2008 Q3 - -4.0%
    2008 Q4 - -6.8%
    2009 Q1 - -4.9%
    2009 Q2 - -0.7%

    Heya FilmFestGuy!
    Last edited by Taylor; 07-29-11 at 03:52 PM.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post

    No, actually it's because several conservatives have said the recession was the fault of the Democrats being in Congress for a year-and-a-half when it occurred.
    Not even that long. Democrats took over in January, 2007 and Bush's Great Recession began 11 months later in December, 2007.

  6. #156
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    FilmFestGuy;1059696256]What? You know jack **** about me. You can pretend you do, but that's just the stereotype that's been painted for you by too many years of listening to talk radio and watching your prescribed media. Should I just assume you live in your gated community with six cars, munching on caviar and carrying on an affair with a much younger woman who you keep on your yacht in South Beach?
    I know that you continue to buy the rhetoric of Obama and ignore the fiscal year of the U.S. Govt. As for me assume what you want but you know what that means, don't you.

    I'm pissed off at Republicans at this particular moment because of the histrionics in the House. The whole thing is ridiculous. I had a back and forth with someone who is a conservative on here yesterday and in minutes we could basically find an agreement. But when you elect the great Orange one to be your speaker, all he can come up with is a bill that won't prevent the credit rating from being taken down, causing interest on the national debt and on average citizens who have car loans and credit cards to rise - all just to have the same arguments in six months.
    You have no idea what is going on in the House just like you don't understand when the fiscal year of the U.S. begins and ends. Apparently you also don't understand what raising the debt ceiling actually does nor do you understand that the Obama so called cuts are off record budgets thus no cuts at all. It isn't not raising the debt ceiling that will take our rating down, it is the massive spending and growth of that spending which is now equal to our yearly GDP that will lower are ratings. Read what the ratings agencies actuallly said.

    It's a horribly irresponsible bill that cannot pass in the Senate or be signed, but they move forward with it anyway and the only reason he would do so is to attempt to gain political points while things come crashing down around us. Not saying that Obama isn't trying to game the system, because that's what all politicians do; but Boehner actually holds the key here and if he would create a bill (like Reid's) that is at least tolerable to the other side, we'd be done with this.

    It is horribly irresponsible leadership by the President to not offer a plan on paper and to demonize the House plan before it is even passed. What is tolerable to Reid is passing the Reid budget which cuts from a record baseline budget and thus isn't any cuts at all. Compromise with a liberal means doing what that liberal wants.

    But he won't do it out of adherence to a class of freshmen who couldn't govern their way out of a hedge maze.
    It really isn't that difficult, cut the damn spending. We have a spending problem not a revenue problem and the place we really should start is the 3.1 trillion 2008 budget, not the 3.7 trillion 2010 budget to start cutting.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Not even that long. Democrats took over in January, 2007 and Bush's Great Recession began 11 months later in December, 2007.
    Right, the first budget of the new fiscal year began under the Democrat Congress in October 2007. Tell me what that Congress did to prevent Bush from "leading us over a cliff" like you and others want to claim? How could such smart, liberal elite Democrat Congressional Representatives in total control of the legislative process and purse strings allow a dumb Texas cowboy to "destroy" the economy is beyond me, unless..........? Hmmmm, what did the Democrats really want?

  8. #158
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Voters will be looking ahead during the 2012 election. Political narratives about the past will matter little. An increasing problem is that the two parties increasingly view the situation as a zero-sum game (one can only gain at the other's expense). That perspective has greatly corroded the willingness to cooperate, even where vital national interests are at stake. That persepctive is part of the reason the nation's political risk is elevated beyond where it has been for quite some time. It is a compelling reason why confidence in the nation's policy makers and even political system is eroding, both among Americans and overseas U.S. partners.
    thank you

    the republican caucus of the us house is short and clear---no long term advances of credit without credible fiscal consolidation

  9. #159
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Oh! I love these games!

    Sooo... FFG, as bad as things seem right now, you need only consider the alternative to realize that things could be worse.

    Much worse.

    Like, historical proportions worse. Right?


    GDP growth When Democrats took the House.

    2007 Q1 - 0.9%
    2007 Q2 - 3.2%
    2007 Q3 - 2.3%
    2007 Q4 - 2.9%
    2008 Q1 - -0.7%
    2008 Q2 - 0.6%
    2008 Q3 - -4.0%
    2008 Q4 - -6.8%
    2009 Q1 - -4.9%
    2009 Q2 - -0.7%

    Heya FilmFestGuy!
    Not only did they take the House in January 2007 but they also took the Senate. Guess liberals think red is a good number.

  10. #160
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: U.S. GDP Grows Just 1.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Oh! I love these games!

    Sooo... FFG, as bad as things seem right now, you need only consider the alternative to realize that things could be worse.

    Much worse.

    Like, historical proportions worse. Right?


    GDP growth When Democrats took the House.

    2007 Q1 - 0.9%
    2007 Q2 - 3.2%
    2007 Q3 - 2.3%
    2007 Q4 - 2.9%
    2008 Q1 - -0.7%
    2008 Q2 - 0.6%
    2008 Q3 - -4.0%
    2008 Q4 - -6.8%
    2009 Q1 - -4.9%
    2009 Q2 - -0.7%

    Heya FilmFestGuy!
    Actually, it's kinda funny you posted that. That means when Democrats were in Congress AND the White House, GDP growth went from -4.9% to +2.3% - for a turnaround of 7.2%.

    Let's see how things went when Republicans controlled the Congress and the White House, GDP growth went from 2.6% to .9%... Aww...

    But, you'll really have to ask Conservative whether we're supposed to use fiscal year numbers or calendar year numbers or quarterlies or monthlies, because he is the one who gets to decide what numbers are used.

    Oh, and back at ya.

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •