Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 358

Thread: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

  1. #291
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,733

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    1. I don't have the exact numbers, but probably not very many. That is because this forced them to invest instead of hoarding wealth. That is the main reason we have high tax rates because it encourages them to reinvest so that they will make more money instead of simply hoarding it all.
    2. They probably have more loopholes now.
    3. The top tax rate was 90%.

    First of all Nazism was supported by big business and no actual historian considers hem a socialist party. They were fascists which is a far right ideology. Secondly I'm a democratic socialist with some Trotskyist leanings.

    massive fail there were far more "loopholes" then and the overall effective tax rate was not much different than it is now. far right-far left- pretty much the same crap in practice

    so you like capital gains being taxed far less than say salary? that is the only way that claim of yours makes sense. By investing I am looking for CG income

    do you understand how silly your claim is?



  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    The founders didn't change it, and you seem to be arguing they gave a constitution they weren't proud of
    No, I'm not arguing that they weren't proud of what they put out. I'm merely telling you need to reconsider your arguments.

    And besides a compromise on slavery is hardly a way to measure if they were happy with the overall goal and structure of the government they formed.

  3. #293
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Corporate Welfare in the U.S.

    "Subsidies considered excessive, unwarranted, wasteful, unfair, inefficient, or bought by lobbying are often called corporate welfare. The label of corporate welfare is often used to decry projects advertised as benefiting the general welfare that spend a disproportionate amount of funds on large corporations, and often in uncompetitive, or anti-competitive ways. For instance, in the United States, agricultural subsidies are usually portrayed as helping honest, hardworking independent farmers stay afloat. However, the majority of income gained from commodity support programs actually goes to large agribusiness corporations such as Archer Daniels Midland, as they own a considerably larger percentage of production.[5]

    According to the Cato Institute, the U.S. federal government spent $92 billion on corporate welfare during fiscal year 2006. Recipients included Boeing, Xerox, IBM, Motorola, Dow Chemical, and General Electric.[6]

    Alan Peters and Peter Fisher have estimated that state and local governments provide $40-50 billion annually in economic development incentives,[7] which many critics characterize as corporate welfare.

    Some economists consider the recent bank bailouts in the United States to be corporate welfare.[8][9] U.S. politicians have also contended that zero-interest loans from the Federal Reserve to financial institutions during the global financial crisis were a hidden, backdoor form of corporate welfare."


    Corporate welfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #294
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,204

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Corporate Welfare in the U.S.

    "Subsidies considered excessive, unwarranted, wasteful, unfair, inefficient, or bought by lobbying are often called corporate welfare. The label of corporate welfare is often used to decry projects advertised as benefiting the general welfare that spend a disproportionate amount of funds on large corporations, and often in uncompetitive, or anti-competitive ways. For instance, in the United States, agricultural subsidies are usually portrayed as helping honest, hardworking independent farmers stay afloat. However, the majority of income gained from commodity support programs actually goes to large agribusiness corporations such as Archer Daniels Midland, as they own a considerably larger percentage of production.[5]

    According to the Cato Institute, the U.S. federal government spent $92 billion on corporate welfare during fiscal year 2006. Recipients included Boeing, Xerox, IBM, Motorola, Dow Chemical, and General Electric.[6]

    Alan Peters and Peter Fisher have estimated that state and local governments provide $40-50 billion annually in economic development incentives,[7] which many critics characterize as corporate welfare.

    Some economists consider the recent bank bailouts in the United States to be corporate welfare.[8][9] U.S. politicians have also contended that zero-interest loans from the Federal Reserve to financial institutions during the global financial crisis were a hidden, backdoor form of corporate welfare."


    Corporate welfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I say we end all subsidies to all entities. Do you agree?

  5. #295
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,183

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, I'm not arguing that they weren't proud of what they put out. I'm merely telling you need to reconsider your arguments.

    And besides a compromise on slavery is hardly a way to measure if they were happy with the overall goal and structure of the government they formed.
    The compromise on slavery in the Constitution is what we should be looking at when we hold the Founders in such high esteem. Our current government could learn a thing or two from them about how to compromise, and it should teach us that compromise between two sides is what made this country great.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #296
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    I say we end all subsidies to all entities. Do you agree?
    To corporations? Sure. I agree.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #297
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    To corporations? Sure. I agree.

    Me too, along with ending anonymous corporate donations to political campaigns.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #298
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, I'm not arguing that they weren't proud of what they put out. I'm merely telling you need to reconsider your arguments.

    And besides a compromise on slavery is hardly a way to measure if they were happy with the overall goal and structure of the government they formed.
    Your arguments are sick. If I wanted to end slavery but let it continue, I wouldn't feel proud about that at all...

  9. #299
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Well from what I have gathered from other posters here... they ship jobs out because of high taxes, so tax rates need to be lowered on companies. That will keep there here, even though many of them don't pay taxes and are getting refunds. So wait, the real problem is the compliance costs with tax code, so we need to make it easier and less expensive for them to get refunds... then the 60B will finally trickle down to us all.
    Trickle down economics is a scam, and it has been proven so by this recent economic depression. If it did work, however, we'd see improvements such as job growth and increasing wages. The government has even come out with recent statistics stating that the economy was worse than originally stated in 2007-2009. No kidding.

    But it is important to note that raising taxes on corporations will only result in consumers paying higher prices for their goods. No matter how high corporate taxes get, corporations will never pay taxes because they will pass the increases on to their customers as the cost of doing business. In my opinion, corporate personhood needs to be done away with, and the laws need to go back as they were before the corporate lawyers raped the 14th Amendment.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #300
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    massive fail there were far more "loopholes" then and the overall effective tax rate was not much different than it is now. far right-far left- pretty much the same crap in practice

    so you like capital gains being taxed far less than say salary? that is the only way that claim of yours makes sense. By investing I am looking for CG income

    do you understand how silly your claim is?
    Yes and no. Yes, there were more loopholes, but no, the effective tax rate was not about the same. In fact the effective tax rate was MUCH higher back in the day. If we had the same effective tax rates now (personal and corporate) that were in effect in 1961, we could pay down the national debt in 15-20 years without cutting spending.

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •