Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 358

Thread: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

  1. #211
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Let's see it! I never called a service member a parasite--as you just did.
    Let's see.... I wasn't being entirely serious. I was just mocking most of the Conservatives on this board.

  2. #212
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Let's see.... I wasn't being entirely serious. I was just mocking most of the Conservatives on this board.
    Right!............

  3. #213
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Nothing we could give them? Like you have something you could give them? You are absolutely wrong and I've noted the framework more than once.

    First we would have to quit piling regulation upon regulation upon regulation on companies. There are some understandable ones that everyone would agree on but off the top of my head. I would love to be able to take time off as opposed to extra pay for working OT. I rarely work OT because the money isn't that important. I would work it if I was able to take it as time off sometime else. Not allowed. Now this list is endless but let's move on.

    We then tax upon country of origin. (simply made up numbers). Sell toasters made in the U.S.A.? Pay a 23% rate. Sell toasters made in China? Pay a 35% rate.
    Yes, they would like deregulation, but it isn't good for us or the country or the world. Deregulation leads to people doing very harmful things, and we've seen that in the past. So, to support not regulating is to support an eventual costly event.

    As I know people who get time off instead of overtime pay, I'm not wure what you're talking about. But, assuming they are just breaking the law and you're right, this isn't a serious issue in any real way. The point is that those who work overtime are properly compensated. I really don't see how this can be wrong. It is easy to abuse a worker without some set of standarized rules to follow.

    Explain your last sentences further.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no. we want return and we want growth. and right now we don't have capital because it's either being held offshore, or being held off-line due to the fact that government will sieze it if they try to bring it back, and will tip over the canoe if they try to invest what they have here.

    the vast majority of nations have a territorial tax system. it really doesn't make sense to me how anyone can look at the incentives of us taxing people for repatriating funds and come to the conclusion that it's a good idea.
    Where you're wrong is that taxes are not much of an incentive of deterent. They are minor league at best. Again, as long as business can have slave labor elsewhere without having to contend with health insurance costs, they will move off shore.


    no, they aren't. because they strongly effect return.
    Not enough to be of concern. In your world, it seems business should never pay a tax, never pay a wage, never pariticipate in anything other then complete profit of the labor of others. ONce you accept that they can't have 100%profit, that they have to pay in some form, that they hold a responsiblity to pay something, you will further away from your current position.


    you are overemphasizing the hourly wage and benefits package to the point of absurdity.
    Not really. I'm only trying to get you to see that we could deregulate completely, do away with all taxes, and business woudl still leave. As their goal is, as you argue, to make the most profit, it is impossible for them to ever make as much profit here than they can elsewhere if they have to pay our salaries and provide health care. So, if you want jobs here, you either provide EVERYTHING they can get their, including low wages and lack of health care insurance, or you make it less profitable for them to go overseas. I don't see many other options, as they, according to your argument, have no concern other than profit.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #215
    Educator TBone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phoenix
    Last Seen
    04-01-15 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    673

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I do this and do this and it seems to make no difference. GE did NOTHING illegal. They didn't illegally avoid paying their taxes (unlike Geithner). They simply followed the tax code as written. That is NOT a loophole.
    1Perry, you miss read what I said "if they did something illegal"

    You are correct, they may have followed the Tax code that allowed them not to pay on their profits. If they paid their 33%, like me, then I retract what I said if they didn't because of a loop hole, then Congress needs to close it ONLY if they are asking other americans to make a sacrifice to get out of this debt, e.g. SSI starts at 70 instead of sixty seven, Congress doing away with the mortage interest deduction, or charity deduction, etc. Hey, I am willing to help my country get through this. I agree cut all the unnecessary pork out of the budget, e.g. squirrel bridge in arizona?
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
    Emiliano Zapata


  6. #216
    Educator TBone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phoenix
    Last Seen
    04-01-15 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    673

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    People like me fund your artificially low tax rate
    Really, I pay 33% of my income in Federal Income Tax, not to count FIDC and Medicare and State taxes. So you should be pissed that you are getting f'd by the gov't because Exxon doesn't pay their share, they pay 17% of federal income tax. I ain't saying they should raise your taxes, get rid of the crap Exxon gets from the gov't to lower them to 17%.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
    Emiliano Zapata


  7. #217
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    dude. i am an E5 in the military. If I am making amazing amounts of money, I want to know where it is.


    in reality, you just have nothing, so you just fall back on crappy, recycled, old-socialist rhetoric.
    Didnt say what you had...and I dont care...and im no socialist.

  8. #218
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Hey, I am willing to help my country get through this. I agree cut all the unnecessary pork out of the budget, e.g. squirrel bridge in arizona?
    Yeah. Squirrels already have natural bridges that help them get around. They're call "branches on trees".

  9. #219
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Yeah. Squirrels already have natural bridges that help them get around. They're call "branches on trees".
    What about the turtle tunnels, deer under-passes, studies of Alaskan grandparents and the study of Chinese dinosaur eggs?

  10. #220
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Study finds Corporate America avoided $60B in taxes (2010)

    I am still wondering why Cpwill thinks that lowering tax rates is going to lower costs of accounting and financial firms to preform tax work... The companies that pay the most money for tax advice, are some of the biggest firms, with the largest accounts in the world. It's going to take the same work load to audit and track cash in flows and out flows through those companies and all their subsidiaries. It's going to take international audits, tax work, etc. If the IRS even got rid of some forms, it still doesn't mean the firm is going to downsize and lay off some accountants and analysts.

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •