Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62

Thread: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

  1. #51
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    One other comment. Why does every time tort reform is brought up, the McDonald's case is automatically brought up? Do people realize it's almost 20 years old? If that case is all you have for support, your support is pretty weak. If frivolous lawsuits were as rampant, as portrayed, shouldn't we have had another equally notorious case in the last 20 years?
    We just simply dont know how to govern - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's a "good case" or not. Corporations can hire entire legal teams. If you're a customer that they've genuinely screwed, you are likely to get double screwed.

    This is business protectionism and nothing more. I smell cronyism here. No law like this gets passed in Texas without a nice bonus from lobbying groups.

    Outrageous.
    No, that's not true at all.

    I've taken on big corporations more than once, was completely in the right each time, and was able to prove it. Once was against United Airline with their three lawyers.

    That was here in Canada but if Judges can't decide between right and wrong then the problem extends much deeper than the example we see on this thread..

  3. #53
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    I don't get what your point is. Are you just saying it's rare or are you implying the above information means the coffee wasn't too hot because statistically someone being burned is rare?
    I'm saying that statistically no one gets hurt by McDonald's coffee. If it were a true problem, you would have seen MUCH higher numbers of people being seriously burned. If you can't get out of the noise fluctuations, you have no statistically meaningful data. That's how it works. The real problem that happened with McDonald's is that they had someone on the stand who said essentially just that. 700 people over 10 years got burned, but McDonalds sells over a 10 billion cups of coffee in that time. So you're talking 70 in a billion chance. It goes to show the danger of the product. 70 in a billion is essentially zero. It wasn't a problem. If the coffee was so hot to cause burning or the cup somehow defective, you wouldn't realize a 70 in a billion chance; it would be higher.

    Here's the thing though, someone from McDonalds says what I just said. It's factually correct. But the jury hears "OMG, he just said 700 people is zero!!!! WTFOMGBBQ!!!!!one!!one!!!". They freaked out and acted emotionally after that, exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to do. 70 divided by a billion is essentially zero. There will always be people burning themselves somehow or doing something zero, you will rarely realize an actual zero if there is a probability of something happening. Given enough time, all probabilities work out. However, if the coffee was a threat they claimed it to be, you should statistically be above noise; meaning that you would see a statistically significant number of burns in this case. 70 in a billion is not statistically significant.
    Last edited by Ikari; 07-28-11 at 01:32 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #54
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The historical record of the last time period you listed DOES NOT support your opinions. I sure wish we had progressive government over that time period - but we have not. We got Reagan and Bush followed by a moderate Democrat who turned the economy around and ended up in a positive position. Then we got Bush2 and the massive growth in the debt due to two tax cuts and fighting wars off the books without paying for them. There was no 20 to 30 years of progressive government to blame.

    The facts of the historical record simply do not support you.
    I will and have admitted that the best we have had over that time period was Clinton, but the fact still remains .. that the best we had .. still added 1.5 trillion dollars to our debt, and that was with a 25% tax hike, a booming dot com bubble that busted in 2000 and cuts to defense spending, no wars being fought unless you want to count the times he lobbed a few bombs to take publicity away from him lying to the grand jury. All that .. and the best we can claim is another 1.5 trillion dollars in debt ? I would hardly call any one of the too fiscally conservative …. by even the broadest of standards . It's clear that progressive politics just haven't worked.

  5. #55
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    You take a sip of hot coffee and burn your tongue so you sue McDonalds.. The person that did that actually won and got damages, and now on the bottom of their cups is the message 'The beverage you are about to enjoy is hot.'..

    Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    $640,000 for being a dufus when it comes to drinking a hot cup of jo..
    If you're going to cite the case, you should cite it accurately:

    She didn't "take a sip"; she had it between her legs to put cream in it and it fell on her crotch and thighs causing 3rd Degree Burns when the lid hitched while she was trying to take it off. She was also in the passenger's seat, by the way - not driving as nearly 80% of people believe.

    If you'll further note: she initially wanted to simply get McDonalds to pay for the $20,000 in medical expenses and lost income, but they refused, thus resulting in the court case.

    If you'd also note McDonald's history with this particular issue, there had been more than 700 previous incidents reported to McDonald's with settlements of up to $500,000 due to third degree burns from their coffee.

    Suffering 3rd Degree Burns on your junk and simply asking (initially) for hospital bills to be covered isn't doesn't rank very near the top of frivolity when you know the facts of the case. But, because giant corporations are so perfect at propaganda, they've led people to believe a lot of things about this case that simply aren't true. They also perfect leave out that there were several settlement offers on the table that McDonald's simply ignored or so insultingly undercut, that there was basically no choice but to go to court (they offered her $800 to settle at first).

    If you want a truly frivolous lawsuit, you should point to the woman who sued a Haunted House for being too scary and causing emotional distress or the guy who sued Bud Light because when he drank beer, beautiful women didn't appear. Those things are frivolous. 3rd Degree Burns aren't.

  6. #56
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    No, your facts are not straight at all. You're just parroting some information that was given to you, and honestly regarding this case I did the same thing.
    Actually I did my my own research.

    Do some actual research on the case. You'll see you're absolutely incorrect.

    Better yet, let me do it for you since I don't believe you'll actually do it.

    The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case
    I did do some research.

    Here are the facts. Anyone who puts a cup of hot liquid between their legs for the purposes of taking the lid off in order to put cream and sugar in it is a moron. The second fact is that the coffee was served at or near optimal temperature. I have cited a coffee enthusiast site as well as a coffee brewer manufacture site.


    How To Brew Coffee - National Coffee Association
    Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction. Colder water will result in flat, underextracted coffee while water that is too hot will also cause a loss of quality in the taste of the coffee.

    snip...

    Brewed coffee should be enjoyed immediately!

    Pour it into a warmed mug or coffee cup so that it will maintain its temperature as long as possible. Brewed coffee begins to lose its optimal taste moments after brewing so only brew as much coffee as will be consumed immediately. If it will be a few minutes before it will be served, the temperature should be maintained at 180 - 185 degrees Fahrenheit.



    BUNN Coffee Basics: Holding and Serving Know How
    Ideal serving temperature: 155F to 175F (70C to 80C)
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,853

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I will and have admitted that the best we have had over that time period was Clinton, but the fact still remains .. that the best we had .. still added 1.5 trillion dollars to our debt, and that was with a 25% tax hike, a booming dot com bubble that busted in 2000 and cuts to defense spending, no wars being fought unless you want to count the times he lobbed a few bombs to take publicity away from him lying to the grand jury. All that .. and the best we can claim is another 1.5 trillion dollars in debt ? I would hardly call any one of the too fiscally conservative …. by even the broadest of standards . It's clear that progressive politics just haven't worked.
    Again - the historical record of the actual facts of the past thirty years do not support your premise in any any shape or form.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #58
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm saying that statistically no one gets hurt by McDonald's coffee. If it were a true problem, you would have seen MUCH higher numbers of people being seriously burned. If you can't get out of the noise fluctuations, you have no statistically meaningful data. That's how it works. The real problem that happened with McDonald's is that they had someone on the stand who said essentially just that. 700 people over 10 years got burned, but McDonalds sells over a 10 billion cups of coffee in that time. So you're talking 70 in a billion chance. It goes to show the danger of the product. 70 in a billion is essentially zero. It wasn't a problem. If the coffee was so hot to cause burning or the cup somehow defective, you wouldn't realize a 70 in a billion chance; it would be higher.

    Here's the thing though, someone from McDonalds says what I just said. It's factually correct. But the jury hears "OMG, he just said 700 people is zero!!!! WTFOMGBBQ!!!!!one!!one!!!". They freaked out and acted emotionally after that, exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to do. 70 divided by a billion is essentially zero. There will always be people burning themselves somehow or doing something zero, you will rarely realize an actual zero if there is a probability of something happening. Given enough time, all probabilities work out. However, if the coffee was a threat they claimed it to be, you should statistically be above noise; meaning that you would see a statistically significant number of burns in this case. 70 in a billion is not statistically significant.
    -chuckles- one of use has to check our figures again .. when I do the math .. I get 1.8 trillion cups of coffee sold in the US alone .. the site I found claims they sell 500 million cups a day .
    McDonald’s coffee in the U.S.

  9. #59
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Wrong....you are completely misinformed like so many other people.

    The coffee was served at a temperature that was WAY too hot. Coffee should not be served at a temperature that causes the level of burning that occurred in that case.
    Second, McDonalds had been warned numerous times before this incident and chose to do nothing.

    The coffee was served at or near optimal temperature. Not only has a coffee brewing association has stated this but so has a coffee brewer manufacture.
    How To Brew Coffee - National Coffee Association
    Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction. Colder water will result in flat, underextracted coffee while water that is too hot will also cause a loss of quality in the taste of the coffee.

    snip...

    Brewed coffee should be enjoyed immediately!

    Pour it into a warmed mug or coffee cup so that it will maintain its temperature as long as possible. Brewed coffee begins to lose its optimal taste moments after brewing so only brew as much coffee as will be consumed immediately. If it will be a few minutes before it will be served, the temperature should be maintained at 180 - 185 degrees Fahrenheit.



    BUNN Coffee Basics: Holding and Serving Know How
    Ideal serving temperature: 155F to 175F (70C to 80C)


    Third, the lawsuit involved in that case did not occur until after McDonalds refused to cover the medical damages.
    Should I sue bic razors if I cut myself while shaving? I am a little over weight perhaps I should sue McDonalds and other fast places. I stubbed my toe on the corner of my coffee table should I sue the coffee table maker?


    The family involved was not looking for punitive damages until
    Bull ****.
    McDonalds took an irresponsible route.
    McDonalds did no such thing. McDonalds does not owe that woman squat. Does McDonalds owe every fat person on the planet? No Do razor blade companies owe every person who commited suicide or injured themselves any compensation? no




    Here is a picture of what the McDonalds coffee did in that case. Be warned...its graphic: Google Images
    The degree of injury she suffered is irrelevant.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #60
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Governors of Texas, South Carolina sign tort reform into law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Again - the historical record of the actual facts of the past thirty years do not support your premise in any any shape or form.
    of course not .. as a far left liberal you couldn't admit it no matter what the facts suggest

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •