Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

  1. #11
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Welch Pushes ‘Clean’ Debt Ceiling Vote : Roll Call News

    Welch Pushes ‘Clean’ Debt Ceiling Vote

    Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) is advocating for a “clean” debt ceiling bill with just days to go until the nation hits a projected default deadline, even though a similar measure failed in May.

    The legislation counts more than 100 co-sponsors, and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), Assistant Minority Leader James Clyburn (D-S.C.), Democratic Caucus Chairman John Larson (Conn.) and Democratic Caucus Vice Chairman Xavier Becerra (Calif.) signed on to a letter from Welch encouraging colleagues to support the measure, according to spokesman Scott Coriell.

    The Vermont Democrat’s proposed $2 trillion debt limit increase isn’t tied to a deficit reduction package, making it a non-starter for House Republicans. But Welch said he is nevertheless pressing ahead because “America is now on the doorstep of default.”
    The party of no strikes again!
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    You should revisit the term spending freeze. It means no growth in spending, not no spending.
    I know exactly what it means. It means restricting spending to only what the country takes in each year and the country would never go for it. Why? Because you never know what befalls the nation. Consider all the natural disasters that have occurred just this year alone. If we froze spending to such a narrow limit, we'd never be able to responde to such emergencies. You simply can't plan for such costs.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Which you know would never get through Congress. So, what's your point?
    The point is the scoring system is ****ED UP.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #14
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    On a $9 TRILLION spending freeze!?! Do you have any idea long it would take this country to pay that off? Atleast the next five years and that's if the government devotes every dollar - ALL $2 TRILLION in income tax revenue it collects annually - toward that debt. Things are bad right now. Can you imagine how bad they'd get if every goverment program in this country shut down for that long? You're talking cutting the government beyond the bare bones. I don't care how much one wants to eliminate the deficit, the country would never support such a measure.
    It's not bare bones it's just not increasing any spending across the board, at CURRENT LEVELS OF SPENDING.

    We're spending more then we can afford now...

    Neither the Reid or Bohner, or Obama or any OTHER PLAN actually cuts a damned thing, all they are proposing are mild cut backs to projected spending INCREASES.

    What part of that doesn't anyone get??
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    The point is the scoring system is ****ED UP.
    Interesting...

    So, let's get this straight...

    The CBO's scoring is fine as long as it "throws your side a bone" and gives your guy something he can bring his guys in line and rally behind him, but it's not okay when it confirms that the other guy's debt limit plan reduces spending more than your guy's plan?

    Gotcha! (.......)

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Welch pushes clean debt ceiling vote
    a clean lift?

    LOL!

    you couldn't get more than two dozen senators

    barack the slasher himself aint even goin there

    must get lonely in leningrad

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I know exactly what it means. It means restricting spending to only what the country takes in each year
    no, sir, that's not what a spending freeze does

    you surprise me

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    It's not bare bones it's just not increasing any spending across the board, at CURRENT LEVELS OF SPENDING.

    We're spending more then we can afford now...

    Neither the Reid or Bohner, or Obama or any OTHER PLAN actually cuts a damned thing, all they are proposing are mild cut backs to projected spending INCREASES.

    What part of that doesn't anyone get??
    I get that neighter side were proposing such a thing for good reason - because they knew such a measure would never get passed!

    I get that your side is now trying to move the goal post to curry favor.

    I get that your's is a desparate attempt to come in and save the day!

    I have a copy of both plans and you're right. Both are near identical. But that doesn't erase the fact that the Democrat's plan not only cuts more from the debt, it also has wide Democrate support and could very likely gain enough support in the House to pass. And your side can't stand that! They'll say and do anything at this point to win!

  9. #19
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I know exactly what it means. It means restricting spending to only what the country takes in each year and the country would never go for it. Why? Because you never know what befalls the nation. Consider all the natural disasters that have occurred just this year alone. If we froze spending to such a narrow limit, we'd never be able to responde to such emergencies. You simply can't plan for such costs.
    So in you opinion the fact that we have increased spending just over the last three years by nearly 800 billion dollars .. . that you don't think we can live within that structure ??? If thats the case … then it's true .. this country is shot .

  10. #20
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Boehner issues blunt warning to debt dissenters

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I get that neighter side were proposing such a thing for good reason - because they knew such a measure would never get passed!

    I get that your side is now trying to move the goal post to curry favor.

    I get that your's is a desparate attempt to come in and save the day!

    I have a copy of both plans and you're right. Both are near identical. But that doesn't erase the fact that the Democrat's plan not only cuts more from the debt, it also has wide Democrate support and could very likely gain enough support in the House to pass. And your side can't stand that! They'll say and do anything at this point to win!
    -chuckles- I'm having a hard time keeping up here .... first you argue that we can't freeze spending at 2011 levels ... because we need room to spend in case of emergencys..... now you are arguing that we should have more spending "cuts" because it's a democratic plan ?? I would think you would be more in favor of the Republican plan that has less cuts ??

    and you say our side can't stand that ?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •