Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 341

Thread: GE moving X-ray business to China

  1. #301
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Then perhaps instead of listening to a politicians oratory we should judge them by the quality of the character and their past experience, their accomplishments.

    What do you think qualified Barrack Obama to be President?
    Character is subjective, and something we are easily fooled by. Some actually though Bush the jr had character. It is just one more thing they will lie about. And experience? What counts as experience? Obama meant all the qualifications. So, while I would have prefered someone with more experience, republicans offered up a McCain who was then a shell of the man he was before, with Palin running mate. Left little choice but to vote for Obama.

    And frankly, Obama is not near as bad you guys contend. In fact, if he would actually be a little more liberal, push a more liberal agenda, and beat that bully pulpit a little more, he be doing fine, all things concidered.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #302
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    So you are against large multinational companies? If so, then there are other economic reasons to support these, especially with trade. Lets start with the first point, these companies can build economies of scale. Large companies have the ability to reduce transaction costs causing the costs to make things, distribute things, etc to fall and making us again able to produce more things. Walmart has a clear advantage in the international markets than a mom and pop store, the reasons should be obvious. Not to mention, many things would fail to exist if things were only traded at the local level. Do you think every small town should have its own car maker, or x-ray maker? Does that sound efficient?
    Take Walmart of example. Their low prices are not a deal. As they undercut everyone else, eventually they corner most the market and then there will be little competition. Competition requires a competitor. Every small town neverdad all those things, and we're not just talking about small towns, though they have sufferd a lot.

    And again, no is saying only trading at a local level. No one has said that at all.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #303
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Then perhaps instead of listening to a politicians oratory we should judge them by the quality of the character and their past experience, their accomplishments.

    What do you think qualified Barrack Obama to be President?
    In an ideal world, yes. When will that ever happen though?

    The unfortunate thing is that nobody is really qualified to be President until they are President. By that logic we'd just keep re-electing the same disasters again and again (like GW, and if some have their way, Obama).


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #304
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Their low prices are not a deal.
    especially when one considers the non-retail costs, such as unemployment and other need-based entitlements that would not be necessary if people were employed and making goods here in the states.

    cheap goods are only artificially so; and only in the strictest retail sense.

  5. #305
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    To be blunt, you are full of ****.



    And many are not.



    Labor costs do have an impact, just as taxes a so many regulations do.
    Labour costs are the primary factor

    Effective tax rates in the US are lower then the majority of the OECD countries for both individuals and companies. Heck even labour costs are lower in the US then in Canada and northern Europe. What the US can not do is compete on labor with countries like China or India. Boston Sci is not going into China because taxes in China are so much lower then the US, regulations perhaps, but the primary factor is cheaper labour and a large Chinese market. A 2.3% excise tax that applies to all medical equipement sold in the US is not the factor. The desire to increase profits are, the same reason RIM is laying off a signficant number of workers
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  6. #306
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Take Walmart of example. Their low prices are not a deal. As they undercut everyone else, eventually they corner most the market and then there will be little competition. Competition requires a competitor. Every small town neverdad all those things, and we're not just talking about small towns, though they have sufferd a lot.

    And again, no is saying only trading at a local level. No one has said that at all.
    Well, why don't you just explicitly tell me what your argument is? Its hilarious that you say that walmart takes away competition. How does walmart under-cut everyone else? Is it because they OUTCOMPETE them. You are arguing for competition by arguing against it. That makes absolutely no sense.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Character is subjective, and something we are easily fooled by. Some actually though Bush the jr had character. It is just one more thing they will lie about. And experience? What counts as experience? Obama meant all the qualifications. So, while I would have prefered someone with more experience, republicans offered up a McCain who was then a shell of the man he was before, with Palin running mate. Left little choice but to vote for Obama.

    And frankly, Obama is not near as bad you guys contend. In fact, if he would actually be a little more liberal, push a more liberal agenda, and beat that bully pulpit a little more, he be doing fine, all things concidered.


    Still can't mention Obama without mentioning Bush, huh?

    What counts as experience in the selection of a President of the United States? If you knew the answer to that question Barrack Obama would still be in the Senate.

  8. #308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yeah, got lucky. And yes, it is life. No one said otherwise. But they ahd a TV, They had a phone. They had a computer. If we judged them by that alone, we'd have missed a lot.
    Nobody claimed that they all vacationed on the Riveria. Many of the things in the article are things the middle class didn't have even 25 year ago. It was pretty common to have only 1 television and you got your channels off an antenna.

    The position is that even the "poor" have it pretty good in this country.

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Labour costs are the primary factor

    Effective tax rates in the US are lower then the majority of the OECD countries for both individuals and companies. Heck even labour costs are lower in the US then in Canada and northern Europe. What the US can not do is compete on labor with countries like China or India. Boston Sci is not going into China because taxes in China are so much lower then the US, regulations perhaps, but the primary factor is cheaper labour and a large Chinese market. A 2.3% excise tax that applies to all medical equipement sold in the US is not the factor. The desire to increase profits are, the same reason RIM is laying off a signficant number of workers
    2.3% is a pretty good increase in profits. The point isn't that 2.3% is a huge factor. The point is, adding it on top of everything else can be the back breaker.

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If fact, as I've said
    it would be better for all if those who lived in the community profitted in the community
    Some actually though Bush the jr had character
    Obama meant all the qualifications
    he be doing fine
    all things concidered
    Take Walmart of example
    Every small town neverdad all those things
    they have sufferd a lot
    no is saying only trading at a local level
    LOL!

    try as he might, the dept chair just can't help hisself

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •