Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 341

Thread: GE moving X-ray business to China

  1. #181
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Not true. There are no alternatives for those items.



    I agree with this.
    So do I. So do I.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Americans have always competed very well in the past, why not now?

    As mentioned, other countries are competing quite well while the living standards, compared to the Americans, are increasing.

    The complaints you've outlined are not the problem, but your attitude certainly plays a part.
    Did you read what I wrote at all?

    No, China does not have an equal standard of livig and does use slave labor. Many countries are providing labor for pennies, and don't live anywhere near our standard.

    This by 1Perry is pretty good. You might try reading it as well:

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry
    It's not that so much. It's the fact that too many are taking the path of least resistance. But it's not this simple either. Far too complicated than can be covered easily.....LOL

    It's far easier to simply move overseas than to do the things necessary to compete. Unfortunately when a company like Boeing attempts to do that, they are met with resistance from the government. Everyone has to give some to compete for awhile. Nobody wants to look at the long term picture.

    In the long term picture, China will have to pay higher wage prices. It's simple human nature. Putting this many people to work gives them access to the outside world and they are going to demand a piece of that pie. Damn lot of good that does if all of our manufacturing is over there by then though.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #183
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Shhhhhh, if you don't BELIEVE we're first in everything, you hate America.
    Oh yes gawd forbid.... because if you believe this country of ours is a great country and we should be proud of our accomplishments then you are a right wing nut job .. you've got to learn to hate America to be on the left side
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 07-28-11 at 01:04 AM.

  4. #184
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Oh yes gawd forbid.... because if you believe this country of ours is a great country and we should be proud of our accomplishments … then you are a right wing nut job .. you've got to learn to hate America to be on the left side
    No, if you insist on praising even those things we haven't done well, to help you low sense of national esteem, then you're likely a right wing nut job. People who love this country, in an educated and adult way, can be honest, and handle constructive criticism. But thanks for proving my point.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #185
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Did you read what I wrote at all?

    No, China does not have an equal standard of livig and does use slave labor. Many countries are providing labor for pennies, and don't live anywhere near our standard.

    This by 1Perry is pretty good. You might try reading it as well:
    You should really slow down with all those facts.

  6. #186
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    As far as protectionism goes, the bottom line is that it doesn't work.
    JObs were not outsourcing left and right before 1995 and our trade deficit got even worse after WTO was enacted. So Perhaps you are wrong.


    Sure, you can slap tariffs on foreign products to make domestic products more competitive -- in this country.
    But that will only result in other countries slapping tariffs on American products.
    1. We are in a trade deficit. So it really doesn't matter if China slaps tariffs on our goods. "Oh please China don't impose tariffs on goods you barely buy, no please don't."

    2.China pays their workers 2-4 dollars a day. Do you really think someone who makes 60-120 dollars a month can afford to buy American goods. I seriously doubt they can even buy goods made by outsourced companies in China and Chinese made goods are cheaper. Sure if we exported dollar tree crap to China then the average Chinese worker making 2-4 bucks a day could afford American goods and thus would buy more American made goods.

    .
    Beyond that, offshoring of jobs isn't the main driver of unemployment. Automation is the main driver. If you have a Chinese company employing 1000 drones to assemble widgets, and you impose a tariff to move production here, an American company isn't going to pay 1000 people to make the same widgets. They may employ 50 to run the automated assembly line.
    50 employed Americans are better than no employed Americans and 50 employed Americans is certainly better than a 1000 employed foreigners.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #187
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    You should really slow down with all those facts.
    It is my burden to be fast. Sadly. But don't read too much into that. Really. Don't.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I think he'll have more experience next term.
    Yes, but so will the American peoople.

    Recall when Barack Obama said running a presidential campaign was good administrative experience?

    That was his experience, and he was certainly exaggerating his role.

  9. #189
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    China does not have an equal standard of livig and does use slave labor.
    which makes the promotion of mr immelt to jobs czar all the more bizarre and weirdly inexplicable

    oh well

    as for china, no single issue has exposed this white house for the collection of amateurs and neophytes it is than its humiliating dealings with the cutthroats in china

    Amateur Hour at the White House - Council on Foreign Relations

    US Foreign Policy: Obama's Nice Guy Act Gets Him Nowhere on the World Stage - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

    America's Rodney Dangerfield Moment - Michael Hirsh - NationalJournal.com

    Obama's economic view is rejected on world stage - Boston.com

    them's some biggies, baby---leslie gelb from cfr, der spiegel, natl journal, the gray lady herself

    saying things like: amateur hour, nice guy act gets him nowhere, rodney dangerfield moment...

    how embarrassing

    don't you demand base competence from those you choose to be your leaders, libs?

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: GE moving X-ray business to China

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Did you read what I wrote at all?
    Of course I did and I responded. Did you not read what I wrote??

    No, China does not have an equal standard of livig and does use slave labor. Many countries are providing labor for pennies, and don't live anywhere near our standard.
    Where did anyone claim China has the same standard of living? Canada can compete with China and does. No one here is complaining of trade with China, nor is Australia. In fact I don;t here it from anyone but Americans.

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •